King County, Texas: Most anti-Obama county in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:35:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  King County, Texas: Most anti-Obama county in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: King County, Texas: Most anti-Obama county in America  (Read 4585 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »

CNN interviewed residents of King County Texas after the 2012 election, asking their opinions about Obama's first term.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6fYNiozJ4

I apologize if this has already been posted. I was just reflecting on last year's election and found this video. King County may be small, but there are hundreds more tiny counties like these whose residents feel the same way.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »

Yep, that is the heartland. Of course they cherry pick their sound bites to bash conservatives as a whole, but hey that's CNN. King County is actually on of the least populated counties in the country having 286 people. 2nd least in Texas (besides Loving County at a whopping 82 people) and 3rd least in the nation. There's a ton of VERY conservative counties like this in the western heartland stretching from Nebraska to Texas. Democratic voters tend to be packed in and concentrated into urban areas, whereas republican voters tend to be all around but exist the most in rural areas of the country.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »

Yep, that is the heartland. Of course they cherry pick their sound bites to bash conservatives as a whole, but hey that's CNN. King County is actually on of the least populated counties in the country having 286 people. 2nd least in Texas (besides Loving County at a whopping 82 people) and 3rd least in the nation. There's a ton of VERY conservative counties like this in the western heartland stretching from Nebraska to Texas. Democratic voters tend to be packed in and concentrated into urban areas, whereas republican voters tend to be all around but exist the most in rural areas of the country.

I really don't think they were trying to bash those people in the story. if they wanted to make them look really dumb the reporter could have asked them to back up their claims about Obama with evidence.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »

I really don't think they were trying to bash those people in the story. if they wanted to make them look really dumb the reporter could have asked them to back up their claims about Obama with evidence.

I don't think it was too bad (like MSNBC bad), but come on, you don't think the guy with messed up teeth thinking Obama is a Muslim and the lady saying "I just don't believe anything he says" in response to the reporter saying "Why don't you believe that" isn't bashing old white rural typical conservative rednecks? You may not see it but I see it clearly.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »

I don't think it was too bad (like MSNBC bad), but come on, you don't think the guy with messed up teeth thinking Obama is a Muslim and the lady saying "I just don't believe anything he says" in response to the reporter saying "Why don't you believe that" isn't bashing old white rural typical conservative rednecks? You may not see it but I see it clearly.

I didn't call them rednecks, you did.

I really don't think the guy was looking for a certain type of person to interview, those are just the types of people who live in King County. Did you think he was going to find a political science professor or a wall street financier out there? This was a typical "man on the street" type interview where you ask normal people about their opinions. And since King County is far removed from any big city, major university or cultural mecca, these are the types of people you'll find there- largely white, conservative lower income and under educated.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2013, 12:27:36 AM by Waukesha County »

I didn't call them rednecks, you did.

I really don't think the guy was looking for a certain type of person to interview, those are just the types of people who live in King County. Did you think he was going to find a political science professor or a wall street financier out there? This was a typical "man on the street" type interview where you ask normal people about their opinions. And since King County is far removed from any big city, major university or cultural mecca, these are the types of people you'll find there- largely white, conservative lower income and under educated.

I was poking at the democratic party when they always say that the republican party is a bunch of old white racist rednecks. But anyways, I do think they could of interviewed younger, more educated people too (as I saw many younger parents at the basketball game). All I'm saying here is that there are a lot of stereotypes that come with the GOP and CNN did a good job reflecting just that in this video. Of course there are a lot of people like this, but I think CNN specifically interviewed all older white Texans for a reason.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:33 AM »

Texas Monthly published a really interesting article about King County a few years ago in which the author tried to find a single person in the county who would admit to voting for Barack Obama.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/seeing-red-0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Badlands17
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »

WTF at 2:50:

Reporter: What do you think Barack Obama is?
Resident: Well, I think he's a Muslim.

Obviously we don't have the context preceding this question, but the question in and of itself is a striking Rorschach test. You could put any noun there and it would make sense.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »

CNN interviewed residents of King County Texas after the 2012 election, asking their opinions about Obama's first term.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6fYNiozJ4

I apologize if this has already been posted. I was just reflecting on last year's election and found this video. King County may be small, but there are hundreds more tiny counties like these whose residents feel the same way.

You speak of it as if it's bad.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:50 PM »

Elsewhere someone posted that in 2014 Wendy Davis got only one vote. Must be one of those counties where everyone knows everyone and they all talk politics.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:51 AM »

This must be one of the most miserable places on earth, and not only because of the stupidity of its residents.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 04:38:46 AM »

This must be one of the most miserable places on earth, and not only because of the stupidity of its residents.

Says the Democrat from Greece...

Your point being?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:50:35 AM »

Says the Democrat from Greece...

Your point being?

Why just not stop using those generalizations? Wink

Open a dictionary before using words you have no idea what they mean.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:03:18 AM »

Hmm, okay, so claiming that all residents of King County, TX are stupid morons is no generalization? What is it, then?

Judging from the people in the video, who seem to be pretty representative, it's a reality.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »

"All we can tell you is that one of the five Obama voters is in this wide shot of the camera. He did not feel comfortable going public about his vote."
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »

I just wanted to wrote that someone had already posted that video a long time ago, but then I realized ...

Anyways.

Here's an interesting fun fact:
Obama received twice as many votes in the 2008 primary than in the 2008 and 2012 general elections together!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »

King County is very interesting. It was once extremely Democratic (95% voted for Truman, 84% for LBJ, and even as late as 1990 Ann Richards received 40% of the vote) but is now extremely Republican.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies