MS-01 Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:43:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS-01 Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: MS-01 Special Election Thread  (Read 23084 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »

Thompson is such an inept Congressman.  Despite being the dean of Mississippi's delegation and being one of the more senior members of the CBC, he has practically zero capital with Democratic House leadership.

Competent representation, from a Republican or Democrat, would be a much-welcomed change for the Second District.

Speaking of Second District Republicans....I think Buck Clarke could pull off an upset here in a wave-type year, no?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »

Speaking of Second District Republicans....I think Buck Clarke could pull off an upset here in a wave-type year, no?

I know that he wins "normally Democratic" district, and he is a pragmatic Cochran-style politician, but still - somewhat too conservative. He will need really BIG wave...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2015, 02:48:12 PM by Del Tachi »

I know that he wins "normally Democratic" district, and he is a pragmatic Cochran-style politician, but still - somewhat too conservative. He will need really BIG wave...

Yep, and even then he'd face an uphill battle every two years.  He and his district are probably better off staying at the helm of the approps committee in Jackson. 

What would be most interesting would be if someone like Bill Luckett jumped into the and tried to get enough Delta Whites to crossover into the Democratic primary to give him the nomination.  Basically turn the primary into a GE contest between "White Mississippi" and "Black Mississippi". 
gespb19
United States

« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »

Luckett would not have much support in the Delta aside from Clarksdale/Coahoma County. Look at the 2011 Democrat governor primary map. Of course, Delta whites would probably prefer him over any of the black candidates (IF they voted in the Democrat primary).

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2015, 12:04:26 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2015, 12:14:21 AM by Del Tachi »

Clarksdale/Coahoma would probably be enough to propel him to victory if turnout elsewhere was at typical primary levels (i.e., anemic) and there were several candidate splitting the Urban Jackson vote.

Clarksdale and Coahoma County are actually some of the more populated places in the Delta. 

David Blount wouldn't be a bad candidate either.  Pro-Obamacare, White state legislator with appeal in Metro Jackson.  He could subtly play the race card in order to appeal to Delta Whites while not being "too conservative" as to piss-off the Black powerbrokers who motivate the voting masses. 
gespb19
United States

« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:55 AM »

Coahoma is only the 8th most populated county in the district. Population there has rapidly decreased in recent years, even compared to the rest of the Delta. Luckett would have to expand his appeal to Greenwood, Greenville, Vicksburg, etc. I don't think he'd do well in inner-city Jackson.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »

Of course, if this fractured primary had happened ten years ago then Democrats would have nicked this seat in the first round by locking out Republicans from the runoff. Well, of course the Blue Dog was going to beat the (not all that left, actually) Black man in the runoff, but this would still be D+1. (Kelly then loses his seat to Alan Nunnelee in 2010 Tongue .)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies