100 Senate Regions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:35:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  100 Senate Regions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 100 Senate Regions  (Read 17248 times)
dpmapper
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:52:34 AM »

Region Comment
The objective of this region was to put together all of the major cities and metropolitan areas to the northeast of Philadelphia. This included Leigh Valley, Wyoming Valley, Harrisburg, Reading and Lancaster. The only areas that I did not have from for that should probably be in this region is York and the western Harrisburg suburbs. Both Bob Casey and Pat Toomey are from this region, so this could be an incumbent vs. incumbent battle, but I could also see either moving to a safer Pennsylvania region.  

I'd put York and the rest of the Harrisburg metro in there, exchanging with Scranton.  Scranton/Wilkes-Barre belong with the NY southern tier/PA northern tier much more than York does.  Similarly I'd put Erie in with those tiers; you can send Pittsburgh east rather than north. 
dpmapper
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »

Region Comment
The objective of this region was to put together all of the major cities and metropolitan areas to the northeast of Philadelphia. This included Leigh Valley, Wyoming Valley, Harrisburg, Reading and Lancaster. The only areas that I did not have from for that should probably be in this region is York and the western Harrisburg suburbs. Both Bob Casey and Pat Toomey are from this region, so this could be an incumbent vs. incumbent battle, but I could also see either moving to a safer Pennsylvania region.  

I'd put York and the rest of the Harrisburg metro in there, exchanging with Scranton.  Scranton/Wilkes-Barre belong with the NY southern tier/PA northern tier much more than York does.  Similarly I'd put Erie in with those tiers; you can send Pittsburgh east rather than north. 

Thank you for your suggestions, but I am gonna keep it the way I have. I like having a Western PA, Central PA and Eastern PA regions.

Seems overly artificial to prefer boundaries simply because they're north-south, when the cultural and geographic boundaries clearly run in other directions. 

eg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountain_%28Pennsylvania%29
dpmapper
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »

I'll look into the changes you have proposed and then post it when I'm done posting the data for all the other regions. See what the other readers think.

Cool.  Thanks for the series, it's interesting. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies