UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:31:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread)  (Read 174199 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »

10:00 PM in the UK -- 5:00 PM EDT.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »

10pm with the BBC's exit poll around 20 minutes later. It was very accurate in seat totals for each party in 2010.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »

10pm with the BBC's exit poll around 20 minutes later. It was very accurate in seat totals for each party in 2010.

The exit poll is usually released as soon as the polls close.  In 2010 for example, the BBC made a big fanfare of playing Big Ben strike ten as they put out the poll.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »

In 2010 for example, the BBC made a big fanfare of playing Big Ben strike ten as they put out the poll.

Lol.

And when can be official results?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »

I haven't been following this super closely but one thing I don't get in some of the predictions and speculations I see is this: If there is majority for Labour + assorted lefties like SNP but the Tories beat Labour in seats, people seem to be saying Labour minority government is likely.

But, if SNP won't actually be in government with them (as also seems to be implied in these predictions) won't it be hell for Labour passing anything being consistently outnumbered by the Tories? In Sweden, at least, there is a huge distinction between a party being willing to do passive support (not voting against you) versus active support (voting for you). The former is sufficient if you have a plurality minority (like the last and current Swedish governments) but the latter is required if you lack even a plurality.

I feel like I'm missing something here so could someone tell me what? Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »

In 2010 for example, the BBC made a big fanfare of playing Big Ben strike ten as they put out the poll.

Lol.

From what I know, every constituency declares their own result at some point after 10pm local time. There are constituencies which take until tomorrow morning or noon to declare, so a UK-wide result should be known tomorrow at some point.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »

Wow, these polls really are cowardly, aren't they? Suddenly, with no explanation, huge swings in different directions so that they all end up predicting a tie. Hilarious.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »

Lol.

From what I know, every constituency declares their own result at some point after 10pm local time. There are constituencies which take until tomorrow morning or noon to declare, so a UK-wide result should be known tomorrow at some point.

This is correct.  The first results will almost certainly be from the Sunderland constituencies, perhaps an hour or so after the polls close.  Most others will declare some time between about 1am and 6am local time.  A handful will wait until tomorrow to count, and some very close results may also declare very late.  IIRC in 1997 Winchester (where the majority was 2) didn't declare until mid afternoon on the Friday (and of course the result was later declared void and there was a by-election, which, um, wasn't quite as close...).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »

Lol.

This is correct.  The first results will almost certainly be from the Sunderland constituencies, perhaps an hour or so after the polls close.  Most others will declare some time between about 1am and 6am local time.  A handful will wait until tomorrow to count, and some very close results may also declare very late.  IIRC in 1997 Winchester (where the majority was 2) didn't declare until mid afternoon on the Friday (and of course the result was later declared void and there was a by-election, which, um, wasn't quite as close...).

Ahhh.

That's why I love the Austrian way of elections: Polls are open from 6am to 5pm on Sunday. Vote counting takes 2 hours. Pundits analyse the results until 10pm. Everyone goes to sleep.

Wink
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

Lol.

This is correct.  The first results will almost certainly be from the Sunderland constituencies, perhaps an hour or so after the polls close.  Most others will declare some time between about 1am and 6am local time.  A handful will wait until tomorrow to count, and some very close results may also declare very late.  IIRC in 1997 Winchester (where the majority was 2) didn't declare until mid afternoon on the Friday (and of course the result was later declared void and there was a by-election, which, um, wasn't quite as close...).

Ahhh.

That's why I love the Austrian way of elections: Polls are open from 6am to 5pm on Sunday. Vote counting takes 2 hours. Pundits analyse the results until 10pm. Everyone goes to sleep.

Wink
Is election day a national holiday?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »

Lol.

Ahhh.

Wink
Is election day a national holiday?

It's a Sunday. No reason to make it a holiday additionally, is there?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »

I haven't been following this super closely but one thing I don't get in some of the predictions and speculations I see is this: If there is majority for Labour + assorted lefties like SNP but the Tories beat Labour in seats, people seem to be saying Labour minority government is likely.

But, if SNP won't actually be in government with them (as also seems to be implied in these predictions) won't it be hell for Labour passing anything being consistently outnumbered by the Tories? In Sweden, at least, there is a huge distinction between a party being willing to do passive support (not voting against you) versus active support (voting for you). The former is sufficient if you have a plurality minority (like the last and current Swedish governments) but the latter is required if you lack even a plurality.

Assuming Labour + SNP + the three minor left parties with their 7 or so seats = 323+, SNP will deliver the votes for most of what Labor wants to do. It will be more left wing that what any other party wants to do, so that is the best that it will get. When the SNP decides it wants another election at some point, it will cause one to happen (unless the Tories don't because the polls suck at the time for them or something). That's how the Labour minority government regime would work practically speaking it seems to me.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »

Lol.

Ahhh.

Wink

Things tend to be a bit easier when your country has the population of New Jersey Tongue
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »

If the SNP wins every seat in Scotland or almost every seat, why would they ever want another election?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »

Lol.

Ahhh.

Wink

Things tend to be a bit easier when your country has the population of New Jersey Tongue

Size doesn't really matter here I guess. The election admin system matters. Germany has 82 Mio. people, uses roughly the same count system and is also more or less done by 10pm, after closing at 6pm.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »

Just in case anyone's wondering, a large bulge of results usually floods in around 2:00 to 3:00 am UK time.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »

Also, the number of registered voters might hit 49-50 million in this election.

In the UK, there's no automatic voter registration and everyone needs to register on their own. For the first time, internet voter registration was also possible and there was a big rush in the last week.

The exact number of eligible voters and turnout will only be known after each constituency has declared their numbers, because voter registration is done by each on their own.

Which means, assuming 49.5 million eligible and 68% turnout, there will be some 33-34 million voting today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2015-32625776
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 11:11:17 AM »

SNP reference

Couldn't bring myself to vote for any of these in my school election. (I blurred out the candidates names)

Loads of people at my school refused to vote for anyone - the biggest issue was that there was no Green candidate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »

I'm quite tired now.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »

Question for those more familiar with UK politics: why is Scotland so liberal and how long has it been more liberal than England?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »

Goddamn americans.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »

Any good streaming?
rob in cal
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »

Two electoral reform jokes pertaining to Britain that I came up with, to entertain people until polls close.
Whats the difference between the US politician's knowledge of electoral reform and British politician's knowledge of it.  In Britain when people talk about PR, its understood that it refers to Proportional Representation. In the US, PR refers to public relations, and Proportional Representation would barely be understood at all (some complicated European election thing).
Ok, second joke.  What do you call David Cameron in a few days or weeks from now?  Former prime minister. What do you call David  Cameron in a few days or weeks from now if Britain had PR or even the Alternate Vote?  Current prime minister.

Don't worry, no plans to quit my day job.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

For interested Americans with cable, C-SPAN will have ITV coverage starting at 4:55 ET.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »

Posters who know better can correct me, but my understanding is that it is, formally speaking, not possible to abstain in a division of the Commons (although one can, if sufficiently committed, vote both Yes and No).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies