UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread)  (Read 175349 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »

I haven't been following this super closely but one thing I don't get in some of the predictions and speculations I see is this: If there is majority for Labour + assorted lefties like SNP but the Tories beat Labour in seats, people seem to be saying Labour minority government is likely.

But, if SNP won't actually be in government with them (as also seems to be implied in these predictions) won't it be hell for Labour passing anything being consistently outnumbered by the Tories? In Sweden, at least, there is a huge distinction between a party being willing to do passive support (not voting against you) versus active support (voting for you). The former is sufficient if you have a plurality minority (like the last and current Swedish governments) but the latter is required if you lack even a plurality.

I feel like I'm missing something here so could someone tell me what? Tongue

Posters who know better can correct me, but my understanding is that it is, formally speaking, not possible to abstain in a division of the Commons (although one can, if sufficiently committed, vote both Yes and No).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »

It seemed like the issue that hurt the Liberal Democrats most was tuition fees, in the sense that that was where they were perceived to have sold out. The raise in tuition fees was passed in December 2010 with the support of a majority of LD MPs. The questions I have:

1. Could the Liberal Democrats have stopped the government from implementing this plan?
2. If the answer to the previous question was no and the Liberal Democrats had withdrawn their support for the government over tuition fees, how would they have done in the following election?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »

All four major parties saved their deposit in Belfast South, as did the Alliance and the Greens. Even UKIP came within a tenth of one percentage point of saving their deposit!

Lib Dems were already polling like sh**t before they reneged on the tuition fees promise and Clegg posted the apology video, no?

Their numbers were way down, but my impression is that breaking with the government over their signature issue would have helped them rebound.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »

Buckingham is the Speaker's seat and of course the Liberal Democrats did not have a candidate in either 2010 or 2015.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies