UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:35:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Election Day & Results Thread)  (Read 175537 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: May 07, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Who is the Dick Morris of British politics?

Katie Hopkins

Why Bristish elections are always so boring?

Boring? Boring? Live declarations? Swingometers? Seeing big politicians eat humble pie on national TV? Not boring at all.

Plus for the report of the vote in the constituencies, they have those fringe candidates standing up there in their goofy costumes enjoying the idea that their sartorial presentations are being seen by millions. And when an incumbent goes down unexpectedly, the joy on the face of the surprise winner, and the shock and chagrin on the face of the chap who now needs to find some other way to spend his time, also adds to the drama. Fun stuff!

Unfortunately this is untrue because they know who's won in advance of the actual declaration although the bad acting is fun to watch.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »

The idea that Scotland owes the English a Labour government was always profoundly irritating to me during the referendum (and probably would offend me If I was Scottish), but I must say I find it funny that people freaked out about Scottish independence depriving Labour of seats and then this happens.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »

Since Labour's not winning, at this point I'm just hoping for the most hilarious results possible.

My seat, Rutherglen and Hamilton West falls.

Congrats.
In that case Maddy, lets hope for a SNP pickup via write-ins in Yorkshire Tongue.

I'm hoping for an SNP clean sweep, Galloway hanging on by the skin of his teeth, a UUP pickup in Fermanagh and South Tyrone, Clegg getting Blanched, and at least three or four seats going to UKIP.

As an LD admirer, can't find much good so far:(

I feel your pain ag.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »

The SNP candidate got embroiled in a bunch of scandals including being a Twitter troll (!) so Bore's prediction proved accurate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:07:49 PM »

Nick Clegg is now officially the worst leader of any party this century.

Well, I suppose that might be arguably right from an electoral success standpoint, although the PC's back when lost all their seats but one in Canada when the Reform party split off.

But I must dissent strongly from my point of view that he was the worst leader. In fact, he was one of the best leaders ever. He took what he knew would be a politically damaging step to allow the UK to have a stable government in a time of financial crisis when that is what the UK really needed, and acted with honor and steadfastness in the coalition, even when it was politically difficult for him to do so. I salute him for his courage - and for putting Britain first over any party interest. Kudos to him. Would that more politicians act so selflessly.

I agree completely. It's very easy for a party of protest to sit on the opposition benches and whip up populism, it's quite different for them to actually take responsibility knowing the risks.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »

This election was basically very boring despite being a surprise result.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies