Labour Party leadership election 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:41:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 58
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 139451 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »

I don't think there is much doubt that Corbyn's chances are greater than Kendall's (which isn't saying saying much but whatever).
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

So who does everyone on here favour?

I've already stated that I think Yvette Cooper is the best candidate of this mediocre and uninspiring bunch.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »

1 Corbyn
2 Burnham
3 Lady Balls
4 Blank

Not ranked: Kendall
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #378 on: July 17, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »

1 Corbyn
2 Burnham
3 Lady Balls
4 Blank

Not ranked: Kendall

Same except I will rank Kendall for the sake of completion.

Undecided for Deputy; probably Creasy or Watson as first preference.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #379 on: July 17, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »

Oh, btw, if I were in Progress I'd have advocated Flint rather than Kendall/Umunna/Hunt for leader.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #380 on: July 17, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »

I've already stated that I think Yvette Cooper is the best candidate of this mediocre and uninspiring bunch.

[1] Kendall
[2] Uhhhh Cooper?
[3] Burnham
[4] RIP Labour Party candidate
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #381 on: July 17, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »

1. Corbyn (normal)
2. Burnham
3. Cooper
4. Kendall
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #382 on: July 17, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »

1) Burnham
2) Cooper
3) Corbyn
4) Kendall

I like Corbyn, but I'm not a fan of pointless factional warfare. Kendall is basically a walking disaster.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #383 on: July 17, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »

1) Burnham
2) Cooper
3) Corbyn
4) Kendall

I like Corbyn, but I'm not a fan of pointless factional warfare. Kendall is basically a walking disaster.

Basically this-corbyn has some pretty bad positions that others should attack. Not only his vague economic alternative which was touted by Benn in the 1980's but his lack of commitment to foreign affairs. The best thing Blair did was intervene in Kosovo-I couldn't support a labour leader who fails to see that military force can in rare cases be a force for good.

I understand the support for Corbyn, but some of it is based on the rather scary rhetoric coming out of some left wingers in the UK.

Tbh if Corbyn leads to Jarvis in 2018 I'd be able to live
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #384 on: July 17, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »

1) Burnham
2) Cooper
3) Corbyn
4) Kendall

This.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #385 on: July 17, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

The thing is Corbyn does hold some positions very dear to me. Unilateral disarmament, a genuine loathing of the arms trade, completely comprehensive education, pro-Palastine, huge animal rights supporter, a republian and (supporters aside) a member of the True Left that isn't annoying, self-defeating or a gigantic prick. But I have no doubt (and I hope I'm wrong if such a thing happened) the PLP would implode in bickering and stupidity. It's all very disturbing. Hunt and Ummuna currently feeding stories to the press in anticipation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #386 on: July 17, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »

It's worth noting that the election isn't exactly tomorrow. It's a long process and we're only about halfway through...

Oh, btw, if I were in Progress I'd have advocated Flint rather than Kendall/Umunna/Hunt for leader.

Yes, that's a curiosity isn't it. Or Creasy even. And as it happens it's almost certainly going to be one of those two that I'll first pref. for Deputy (though don't know which yet).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #387 on: July 17, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2015, 07:04:21 PM by Sibboleth »

It may be an error, but the Staggers site has been updated with today's nominations and... er... it lists Leicester West for Cooper.

Speculation elsewhere that maybe they got their Easts and Wests mixed up, which sounds more likely. We'll see soon.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »

1. Corbyn
----
2. Burnham
3. Cooper
----- <- muhdemocracy
4. Kendall

1. Watson
-----
2. Creasy
-----
3. Eagle
----- <- muhdemocracy
4. Flint
5. Bradshaw

A 'New Labour' revolt in the event of Corbyn victory (assuming it would be based upon the fact that Corbyn won) would surely show to the party and to the public their hatred of democracy. The same would be true of the Left if they were to react that way to Kendall victory, though it is worth noting that the likes of Benn, Corbyn and Skinner didn't choose to form their own party in 1994, or even whine that much, frankly. Blair was brought down not by the Left but by the Brownite Right. 

I don't even have a problem with Corbyn. I'm just sick of the over-zealous facebook comments about people who think him winning would turn Britain into some sort of political paradise

Now you know how many of us on the left feel about Blair's gaggle of arselickers. Only Labour election winner evah!

The thing is Corbyn does hold some positions very dear to me. Unilateral disarmament, a genuine loathing of the arms trade, completely comprehensive education, pro-Palastine, huge animal rights supporter, a republian and (supporters aside) a member of the True Left that isn't annoying, self-defeating or a gigantic prick. But I have no doubt (and I hope I'm wrong if such a thing happened) the PLP would implode in bickering and stupidity. It's all very disturbing. Hunt and Ummuna currently feeding stories to the press in anticipation.

Well if the Right want to conclusively prove they can't share, then let them. That'd doom the party far more than an unsuccessful Corbyn attempt. We're not here to serve them.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »

I actually don't even want Corbyn to be leader. I disagree with him on foreign policy and immigration. I actually want Burnham to be leader but I want Corbyn to come in first and push Burnham to the left.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2015, 11:27:30 PM »

Can't think of a better place to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYgUUd1ZulM
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #391 on: July 18, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »

Undecided between Cooper and Burnham, Corbyn third, Kendall last.  My feelings about Corbyn are basically the same as CrabCake's.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #392 on: July 18, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »

Heard that the Corbyn scare in the last couple of days has been pushed by the Kendal camp-Hunt and Chukka coming out so strongly shows that there's some sense to this. They seem to be trying to re-start their awful campaign on the idea that 'corbyn is change-people want change- people want Kendall' That's literally what Kendall said when asked about Corbyns success.

I've got mixed feelings on deputy leader-Tom Watson is a great campaigner, and has the ability to cut through the political bollocks but he's got a few dozen skeletons in his closet-like trying to rig a selection meeting. Probably go with 1.) Flint 2.) Creasy 3.) Watson
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #393 on: July 18, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »

Take with the Earth's load of salt, but rumours are circulating that the Progress lot are already drawing up plans for a breakaway party. At the very least they must believe (given the Umunna and Hunt remarks) that Corbyn could really win.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

Sources about this Progressive Party?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2015, 11:19:09 AM »

L

M

A

O

I don't think a "progressive party" would have a hope in hell of succeeding, tbh. Say what you you like about Woy Jenkins, Dr Death etc. they were proven and talented politicians. Hunt, Kendall and Ummuna? Not so much.

YL, do you know when our CLP meets?

Finally, to all our Corbyn fans - the guy appears to be a homeopathy nut. So, err, there's that.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

L

M

A

O

I don't think a "progressive party" would have a hope in hell of succeeding, tbh. Say what you you like about Woy Jenkins, Dr Death etc. they were proven and talented politicians. Hunt, Kendall and Ummuna? Not so much.

YL, do you know when our CLP meets?

Finally, to all our Corbyn fans - the guy appears to be a homeopathy nut. So, err, there's that.

Sheffield Hallam is not holding a nomination meeting, apparently.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »

It's a weird peculiarity of the SCG, I remember wtfing at the time at the list. Still, homeopathy support comes nowhere near in dampening any enthusiasm for him or his policies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »

I would caution about treating that kind of internet rumour seriously unless there's good reason to think otherwise: 99% of the time we would be dealing with mischief making or the ramblings of total idiots.

Fwiw, the SDP split came after nearly a decade of brutal factional conflict (of a kind far, far worse than anything Labour has seen in recent years) and in the midst of an orchestrated attempt by Bennites to purge right-wingers from the PLP. Current situation doesn't strike me as particularly comparable.

As for Corbyn, yes, he's a crank.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »

So? Gladstone was a crank. Didn't stop him from becoming PM.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies