Labour Party leadership election 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:30:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 58
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 139332 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: September 11, 2015, 07:01:46 AM »

at least Dianne Abbot isn't our candidate for mayor
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1176 on: September 11, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »

Many in the Corbyn campaign have argued that a new winning coalition can be formed of radicals in Scotland, former Green voters, disillusioned Ukip voters and those who otherwise do not vote.

Is this real? Do they actually think this? Jesus christ.

It's very seductive to imagine that you don't need nasty Tory voters to win an election.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1177 on: September 11, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »

Many in the Corbyn campaign have argued that a new winning coalition can be formed of radicals in Scotland, former Green voters, disillusioned Ukip voters and those who otherwise do not vote.

It's very seductive to imagine that you don't need nasty Tory voters to win an election.

That was idiot Ed's strategy from 2010-2015.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1178 on: September 11, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »

That was idiot Ed's strategy from 2010-2015.

At least Ed's strategy relied on getting ex lib dems to vote Labour, which looked good considering they tend to be less loyal and in fit into labour's demographic.

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1179 on: September 11, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »

Corbyn will not be the next Labour leader.

Doing a Keystone Phil are we? Tongue

Anyway, the bookies are going to take a hammering whoever has won. Corbyn is now as short as 1/16 having been as long as 200/1 just a few months ago. Presumably a fair few have placed bets on Burnham and Cooper on the basis that "it can't possibly happen, can it?".

Somebody has to Wink
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1180 on: September 11, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »

Well, we can't say we weren't warned if this all goes Pete Tong.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1181 on: September 11, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »

Why is Burnham polling so low? I assumed he'd end up being Corbyn's main opponent. He's probably the best choice to keep the party together.

Well we don't know what's actually happened yet, but Burnham has run a very nervy campaign (that has also felt pretty subdued at times) and his attempt to be a basically crossfactional candidate has not been... er... let us say that he's not done that as well as Khan did for the Mayoral selection. He can be a much stronger performer than he has been over the past few months so its all kind of disappointing.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1182 on: September 11, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »

Still certain Corbyn is not winning this (probably win the first round), considering the recent shift in momentom I'll change my prediction from a Burnham victory to a Cooper one
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1183 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »

Why is Burnham polling so low? I assumed he'd end up being Corbyn's main opponent. He's probably the best choice to keep the party together.

Well we don't know what's actually happened yet, but Burnham has run a very nervy campaign (that has also felt pretty subdued at times) and his attempt to be a basically crossfactional candidate has not been... er... let us say that he's not done that as well as Khan did for the Mayoral selection. He can be a much stronger performer than he has been over the past few months so its all kind of disappointing.

His whole campaign was based on him being the most 'left wing', and as you said doing a Sadiq were he has union support but is still moderate. It's ashame because for the last year he was suppose to be the grassroots champion who as a working class northern lad could lead the party.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1184 on: September 11, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2015, 01:27:05 PM by Phony Moderate »

Still certain Corbyn is not winning this

Not the view of most Labour MPs and journalists.

I'm still not certain but I'd rate it as an 80% probability that Corbyn wins; before the London announcement today it was more like 70%.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1185 on: September 11, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »

Still certain Corbyn is not winning this

Not the view of most Labour MPs and journalists.

I'm still not certain but I'd rate it as an 80% probability that Corbyn wins; before the London announcement today it was more like 70%.
True. but this was the year of scare politics. Labour establishment are doing what Cameron (and here Bibi) did scare the voters out to rally around them. In addition, the far left always create a lot of fuss on the Internet with bored journalists picking it up to create a story (like a corbyn CLP nomination victory where only 25 people voted...).

I placed a bet on Cooper yesterday and I anticipate I'm gonna cash in on this
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1186 on: September 11, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »

He won (as you probably know) the most CLP nominations (by a fair distance) though, with varying numbers of members; it wasn't just the odd freak occurance. It is harder to 'scare' people in internal elections anyway; the future of the country isn't at stake, merely the party.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1187 on: September 11, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »

To add to that, despite this being a big selectorate, much or most of it is still likely to be comprised of political junkies; political junkies are more likely to have firm beliefs and allegiances than the general population and are less likely to be swayed. This forum is a good example of that actually; Hillary Clinton has been receiving very negative coverage recently over the email scandal and yet her hardcore supporters on this forum are still fully behind her; if anything, they are more supportive of her (a 'rally around the flag' effect if you like). Sure, it is quite likely that some of Corbyn's softer supporters have switched to Burnham or Cooper in recent weeks, but enough to prevent him from winning? Unlikely imo.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1188 on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »

Again, I have half a suspicion (and it is totally uninformed) that this might be one of those weird situations where he either wins by a lot or loses narrowly. A lot of people with conflicting feelings making a lot of individual decisions: I tend to think that they will mostly have turned out to have broken the same way, whatever that is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1189 on: September 11, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »

I'm gonna make a few enemies among fellow leftists, but I really hope Corbyn doesn't win. Labour needs to win elections, I don't want the UK to fall back into the Thatcher-Major horror. And Corbyn won't lead Labour to victory - not because he's very left-wing, but because he's the wrong kind of left-wing.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1190 on: September 11, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »

I honestly think that many in the party's establishment view a Corbyn victory as the least-worst outcome now, hoping that he will eff up to the extent that he can be replaced with Dan Jarvis or whoever a couple of years down the line.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1191 on: September 12, 2015, 12:54:14 AM »

I honestly think that many in the party's establishment view a Corbyn victory as the least-worst outcome now, hoping that he will eff up to the extent that he can be replaced with Dan Jarvis or whoever a couple of years down the line.

Where does Jarvis stand in the party? Is he significantly to the right of someone like Burnham in his policies?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1192 on: September 12, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »

Where does Jarvis stand in the party? Is he significantly to the right of someone like Burnham in his policies?

I'm not British so British posters should feel free to correct me but my understanding is that Jarvis is essentially on the leftward edge of the right wing of Labour.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1193 on: September 12, 2015, 02:35:41 AM »

I'd like the result to be decisive enough so that the loser can't credibly complain about "purges"/infiltration (delete as appropriate according to who wins).  Unfortunately, though, complaints not being credible won't stop them being made or the media lapping them up.

Beyond that, I voted for Cooper so obviously my preference is that she wins.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1194 on: September 12, 2015, 02:44:10 AM »

This must be devastating for Burnham. He was the working class, NHS loving, hardworking darling of the grassroots until about 3 months ago.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1195 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:15 AM »

We have a turnout figure: 76.3%/around 423,000. London's was about that IIRC.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1196 on: September 12, 2015, 03:58:06 AM »

I have a little bit off topic question to the UK posters:

Is there any official reason why Labour Party changed its logo from that cool old one to the generic social democratic rose?

I mean from this one:
http://i.imgur.com/RbrgKZ9.png

To the current.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1197 on: September 12, 2015, 04:39:40 AM »

I don't even recognize the old logo, but my labour party history knowledge is appalling.

On Dan Jarvis, funnily enough I spoke to him on Wednesday at a Burnham event and he seems like a decent bloke on top of his background.

The big problem for him is that he could get offered something by Corbyn-probably shadow Justice, home Secretary etc if he takes it then it ruins his leadership chances (Tories are trying to tar all labour frontbench with the red brush) if he refuses then the Corbynites will never support him. He seems to be in the same position Chukka was in back in 2010-on the compass wing offically but moving more to the right-the progress crowd loved him and were trying to get him to run.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1198 on: September 12, 2015, 05:04:19 AM »

BBC reporting speculation that Corbyn may have won on the first count.

(Key word: "speculation".)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1199 on: September 12, 2015, 05:16:07 AM »

I have a little bit off topic question to the UK posters:

Is there any official reason why Labour Party changed its logo from that cool old one to the generic social democratic rose?

I mean from this one:
http://i.imgur.com/RbrgKZ9.png

To the current.

Because it's not really a logo. Remember, prior to the 70's parties didn't have universal logos or even agreed colour schemes (and in some constituencies, names)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies