NOTE: How to enter 2016 polls to the database (at the moment)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:49:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  NOTE: How to enter 2016 polls to the database (at the moment)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NOTE: How to enter 2016 polls to the database (at the moment)  (Read 19499 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:55:55 AM »

As long as the GOP field is fluid:

Tender: Perhaps you should sticky a thread on the polling board, giving instructions about entering polls?  Otherwise, no one is going to remember the thing about averaging Bush/Rubio/Walker.

Also:

If someone wants to enter a new (or old) poll into the database, please do it the way DAVE did and average the GOP numbers from Bush/Walker/Rubio and use the average of Hillary against these 3 Republicans.

If a poll only shows Hillary vs. one or two top-Republicans, then just average these and enter it to the database.

I think averaging the top-3 GOPers is the best right now to show how the GOP matches against Hillary ...

Thx.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »

Will this formula stay the same even if one or more of those candidates implode?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:46:02 AM »

Will this formula stay the same even if one or more of those candidates implode?

No, in this case we use the new TOP-3 on the RCP average:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »

Hi -
Is there a desire for individual polling databases in addition to the generic - i.e. Clinton-Walker, Clinton-Bush, etc.?  This is of course a lot more data entry…

Thanks,
Dave
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »

Hi -
Is there a desire for individual polling databases in addition to the generic - i.e. Clinton-Walker, Clinton-Bush, etc.?  This is of course a lot more data entry…

Thanks,
Dave

I think we should hold off until the GOP contenders becomes clearer (December?). It'd be a waste to do all that work on a Clinton-Walker map and then Walker completely busts and drops out in November, for example.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »

Hi -
Is there a desire for individual polling databases in addition to the generic - i.e. Clinton-Walker, Clinton-Bush, etc.?  This is of course a lot more data entry…

Thanks,
Dave

Nah, that would be too much.

Besides, pbrower already does that (even though he likes to exclude polls that show Republicans ahead):

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169131.msg4597502#msg4597502

Maybe you can write him a PM and tell him to include every poll.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »

I suggest that favorite sons (Snyder in Michigan, Kasich in Ohio, Santorum in Pennsylvania, Palin in Alaska) be recognized separately from the others if they are not understood to be national contenders.   
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »

Since when do 2012 election results count as polls?

It's just to fill the unpolled states on the map.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »

This ranking has now changed, btw.

The TOP-3 are now:

Bush
Walker
Carson

(but I guess it will soon be Bush, Walker, Trump ...)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »

If Dave is serious about this "top 3 from RCP" thing (is he? or was that a Tender proposal that Dave just ran with), then he should probably say that that's what we're doing on the main polling page.  I mean, this thread is all well and good for those of us on the forum, but the audience for Dave's site extends beyond this forum.  If I went here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2016/polls.php

and had never been to this forum before, I wouldn't really know what the data on the map is supposed to represent.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »

If Dave is serious about this "top 3 from RCP" thing (is he? or was that a Tender proposal that Dave just ran with), then he should probably say that that's what we're doing on the main polling page.  I mean, this thread is all well and good for those of us on the forum, but the audience for Dave's site extends beyond this forum.  If I went here:

and had never been to this forum before, I wouldn't really know what the data on the map is supposed to represent.

It's the other way round: Dave set up the 2016 database and entered a poll with the top-3 at that time and I just went with it and posted the criteria here.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:52 AM »

It's the other way round: Dave set up the 2016 database and entered a poll with the top-3 at that time and I just went with it and posted the criteria here.

OK.  Well, my underlying point stands.  In the unlikely event that Dave is reading this, my recommendation to him would be for him to explain his methodology on that polling page.  Because as it is now, it wouldn't really make sense to someone who hasn't read this thread.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »

OK.  Well, my underlying point stands.  In the unlikely event that Dave is reading this, my recommendation to him would be for him to explain his methodology on that polling page.  Because as it is now, it wouldn't really make sense to someone who hasn't read this thread.

I agree that Dave should probably post here at some point and explain what he prefers.

Anyway, the new TOP-3 according to RCP are now Bush, Trump and Walker.

This is what we will use in the database for the next polls.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

According to RCP, the top-3 are now Trump/Bush/Carson. Shall we include those now?

As I am THE moderator and my word is the gold standard: Yes.

(If Carson is not polled, use the one polled who's next on the RCP average)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

According to RCP, the top-3 are now Trump/Bush/Carson. Shall we include those now?

As I am THE moderator and my word is the gold standard: Yes.

(If Carson is not polled, use the one polled who's next on the RCP average)

Okay thx. So always include Clinton vs. the TOP 3 in the RCP average?

At this point it is the best option I guess.

If we average all Republicans polled against Hillary, it could inflate her margin - simply because some Republicans have a low name recognition right now and trail by bigger margins than well-known GOPers.

For example it makes no sense to average a poll that includes Lindsey Graham and where he's down 20 points to Hillary.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2016, 05:19:19 PM by Dave Leip »

Hi,
At this point, all polls should be Clinton-Trump until/unless something changes.

Thanks,
Dave

"typo" removed "not" Smiley
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »

At this point, all polls should not be Clinton-Trump until/unless something changes.

So, to those posting polls, doesn't the "should not be" mean it should still be the average of the top three candidates?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »

At this point, all polls should not be Clinton-Trump until/unless something changes.

So, to those posting polls, doesn't the "should not be" mean it should still be the average of the top three candidates?

Bad typo there.  I meant to say that we should be Trump-Clinton.
Thanks,
Dave
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »

Hi,
At this point, all polls should be Clinton-Trump until/unless something changes.

Thanks,
Dave

"typo" removed "not" Smiley
I agree with this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »

I'm still showing maps of matchups -- and I add (I doubt that I will add anyone anymore) possible nominees as they appear relevant or drop them as they become irrelevant (as they drop out or get defeated, as most recently Marco Rubio did). 

cloudmage
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 04:49:47 PM by cloudmage »

I created a chart on statpedia to show the results of all the General Election Polls over the last three months with the data taken from RealClear Politics. It shows up when you search for "poll".
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »

Wouldn't it be interesting to have some sort of national poll tracker as well?

I know there are a lot out there already, but everything's better with AtlasTM.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »

idk, I think there are enough national polling averages (RCP, NYT, 538, Huffpollster) that there isn't really a need for another one.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »

I see we're going with the 4-way Suffolk poll in Ohio (which favors Clinton) and the 2-way WMUR poll in New Hampshire (which also coincidently favors Clinton). We need some consistency when entering polls. Either we just enter 2-way numbers or just enter 3/4-way numbers.
mds32
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

I see we're going with the 4-way Suffolk poll in Ohio (which favors Clinton) and the 2-way WMUR poll in New Hampshire (which also coincidently favors Clinton). We need some consistency when entering polls. Either we just enter 2-way numbers or just enter 3/4-way numbers.

I agree. Especially after it was already put in as a TIE. I am calling you out  benconstine (D-VA).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies