Turkish general election, June 7th 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:44:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish general election, June 7th 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkish general election, June 7th 2015  (Read 30201 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: May 18, 2015, 05:17:50 AM »

I made this thread a while back, and my computer crashed lol. Tongue today is an intersting day to start this thread - the HDP headquarters have been carbombed just a few hours ago.

That 10% threshold has led to some hilariously disproportionate results in the past. In the election that bought AKP to power, every single party in parliament was ejected, and almost half of the votes were discarded as they were below threshold.

Basically, although the AKP will win; Erdogan is now so fruitloops with power that even the people who backed him because of how horrendous the opposition are are stirring. Erdogan really, really wants a semi-presidential system and, apparently FPTP.

The CHP and MHP are closer than you might think idealogically. Not a nice party, the former. Neo-Kemalists are terrible.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »

Can the MHP and HDP stomach each other?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:54:47 AM »

Err yeah, that was rhetorical. Probably should have made that clearer...

Before Erdogan's recent descent into Orbanesque wannabe dictator I would have said the historic aminosity between the Kemalists and the Kurds was so great, the Kurds would have certainly propped up Erdogan (who they haven't done that bad under) instead of the CHP and their fascist allies. Now I'm not so sure - the situation of either propping up a upstart-turned-semi-autocrat or a bunch of nationalist idiots really reminds me of Hungary
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »

Yet more bombongs of the HDP today.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »

Hopefully if the HDP get in, the first thing they should take care of is that horrendous threshold.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

A minority CHP propped up by mortal enemies the Kurds and the nationalists seems like an unstable idea.

Perhaps we may see Erdogan's patsy PM come into his own? It would be very amusing to see Erdogan's machinations backfire if he simply ends up a powerless idiot in a big house.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »

Tender, nobody here likes Erdogan but it is silliness to describe him as a dictator or dismiss the election as an electoral type event. There was clearly shenanigans going on, but it seemed to be typical developing world democracy troubles rather than troubling Iran-style election fixing.

Erdogan reminds me more of Viktor Orban than the radical Islamists in MENA IMHO.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

This may be crazy, but could the MHP prop up AKP?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »

Weirdly enough the Felicity Party tried to ally with the MHP for this election. I always reckoned the MHP was more of the secular nationalist variety.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies