Opinion of cruises for a vacation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:47:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of cruises for a vacation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
FV

HV

As long as I don't get the sh**ts and die OK.

I'd rather get the sh**ts and die.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of cruises for a vacation?  (Read 1605 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »

discuss.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »

Option 3. I wouldn't want to take my whole family on one, but going with a small group of friends would be kinda cool.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »

great if you're a boozer, restless and intellectually stultifying if you're not.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

David Foster Wallace had the definitive word on this activity, I think.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »

Awesome.

I went on a Caribbean cruise over winter break and loved the food/pool/activities and especially the island stops.  Curacao is truly the best.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

Freedom Vacation as long as you're employed and can afford to pay your own way.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »

It's an alternative to staying in hotels.

With few exceptions, the most interesting cities are on or near a navigable waterway.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »

I mean, I've never been on a cruise, but it sounds like you just lounge around and eat food and drink alcohol for like a week while stopping in tropical ports every now and then to walk around? That sounds fun to me? Not sure why people are so against it.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »

I mean, I've never been on a cruise, but it sounds like you just lounge around and eat food and drink alcohol for like a week while stopping in tropical ports every now and then to walk around? That sounds fun to me? Not sure why people are so against it.

Sounds boring as f[inks].
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »

...you walk around and travel to play a game of tag for fun
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 11:28:42 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

Uh tag?

Ask Bacon King, it can actually be a very adrenaline filled thing that feels like something out of a Bourne movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-g2N5AixA
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:28 AM »

I can see doing them if you stop at multiple spots with multiple cultures and want to experience such.  Personally a European barge cruise sounds more fun than a Caribbean cruise, and frankly I don't see the point in doing a three- or four-day mini cruise.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »

They can be FVs, but I prefer staying at a particular destination.  There often isn't much time to explore the stops.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »

The Baltic seems more interesting. I'd rather visit Stockholm, wouldn't you, then go somewhere to lie upon a beach?

Tropical cruises sound as if they are made for lazy people.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »

Oops wrong forum for this question as well.  Damn man.  Cry
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

Hmm, I wonder who might be taking a cruise...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »

Hmm, I wonder who might be taking a cruise...

The NEW "he who shall not be named" at the risk of maximum death points, perhaps?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »

Not my kind of thing, no (for one, I would not want to be on a ship for that length of time with that many people), but I know several older couples who have gone on quite a few of them and really enjoyed them. In fact, they book them months and months in advance. And it's not the party crowd. Buffets are open 24/7, there's a lot of jazz music, gyms, running tracks, etc. But even so, yes, it's easy to run up a big bar tab that you're hit with before you disembark. Tongue If you can't pay it, I don't know, maybe they keep you.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 09:14:31 PM »

Uh tag?

Ask Bacon King, it can actually be a very adrenaline filled thing that feels like something out of a Bourne movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-g2N5AixA

Capture the flag, then.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 09:30:29 PM »

Hey, you know what would make a boring hotel vacation better? If you couldn't leave and there was an above-average chance of getting stranded in the middle of the ocean!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »

Went on a few im college and law school years. Great fun. Would like to take the wife on one, but she LITERALLY gets sea sick in a hammock. Tongue

Definitely FV
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »

My parents go on several a year and have since retirement (15ish years now I'd guess).  They love 'em, I don't understand the appeal.  They neither drink nor gamble.  They've done Europe and Egypt and several longish Pacific cruises and have been through the Panama Canal a couple of times....which all seemed fun, but mostly it's been in the Caribbean.  Seems boring to me.

but whatever <ahem> floats your boat.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »

Never been on one.  I'm sort of down on them because I spend a great deal of my free time on Caribbean Islands, and nothing is worse than being in town when the cruise ships show up.  The cruise ship crowd really has a way of cramping every one else's style.  Erstwhile fishing villages are developed far beyond capacity in a futile chase for the yankee dollar.  Nevermind the ecological devastation wrought on the reefs and other marine ecosystems when they dredge and build the gargantuan ports of call.  What really frustrates is the fact that the little pipes below the little huts and other island infrastructure are so strained.  Toilets that can barely choke down shit are inundated with 20 or more squares of tissue with every flush.  Wooden bridges creak as oversized, belching yankees bound across them in flipflops and extra-large floral camisoles.  Tiny markets are stripped of supplies by sheltered retirees with more money than sense.  Of course the whole arrangement provides cash for a select few, but that cash rarely makes it into the hands of those who need it most.  It's a loud, obnoxious time when the cruise ships come, and the ports of call are best avoided during those times.  As for the reefs, I'm sure they'll rebound in another 30 years, assuming the sea doesn't warm up so much that they all become bleached

Having said all that, I'll admit that I'd probably go for it if one were offered for free.  Say, if I won a cruise around the lesser Antilles I'd probably accept it.  Voted for option 3.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »

If I was going to go on a cruise it would have to be in Alaska. The scenary, the places, would be more fun in any place other to me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »

Having said all that, I'll admit that I'd probably go for it if one were offered for free.  Say, if I won a cruise around the lesser Antilles I'd probably accept it.  Voted for option 3.

Maybe Bushie's cousin and granny will pony up enough for you to go for free, brother.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies