Why is SSM such a big deal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:27:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is SSM such a big deal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Why is SSM such a big deal?  (Read 17004 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »

Don't misconstrue me, I'm totally for it. I just don't get why it is such a hot button issue, and why its proponents are still so passionate even if it is basically a settled issue.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »

lol this'll be fun
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »

Oh yes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:47 AM »

Hard to imagine why a change in marriage law wouldn't be a big deal.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:26:21 AM »

Eh, to some degree it is a symbolic issue. Obviously marriage is an important institution in our society, etc. but it large part it's just a policy that is representative of "acceptance of gay people."
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:30:50 AM »

Its importance is overstated on Atlas relative to the american populace at large.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »

Actual answer: If you live in an urban area, or are under the age of 30, you probably have someone close to you who is openly gay. The idea that they still cannot get married in certain areas, and that there is one major party that would probably consider rolling back some of the rights they've recently gained if they ever had the opportunity, can be a major rallying point.

There are many young people I know that have no interest in politics, except when it comes to gay marriage.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 01:06:59 AM »

Bigotry. That's why.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 01:10:57 AM »

1.  Marriage is a civil right granted by the government.

2.  Everyone should have the same civil rights under the law, regardless of their sexual orientation.

3.  Same-sex marriage hasn't been recognized in every state, so it is not settled. 

4.  Same-sex marriage has come to symbolize the greater struggle for acceptance and legal equality for LGBT people.  It raises the basic question of whether it's OK to treat people differently because of the sexual orientation and whether being gay is wrong/a choice.  So, the fight for SSM has advanced acceptance and equality for gay people across the board. 

5.  The US still has tons of homophobia and mistreatment of gay people so we have a lot of work to do in general to make acceptance of homosexuality a social norm.  We've come a lot way in the past 10 years, but there are still anti-gay hate crimes, conversion therapy and bullying of gay kids going on.  We can't accept second-class citizen status on any issue or be complacent even when we've had some political success in recent years.  As if it's OK to be homophobic or legally discriminated against in some states.  It's never OK and we shouldn't have to take it any longer.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »

Eh, to some degree it is a symbolic issue. Obviously marriage is an important institution in our society, etc. but it large part it's just a policy that is representative of "acceptance of gay people."

Pretty much this.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »

Actual answer: If you live in an urban area, or are under the age of 30, you probably have someone close to you who is openly gay. The idea that they still cannot get married in certain areas, and that there is one major party that would probably consider rolling back some of the rights they've recently gained if they ever had the opportunity, can be a major rallying point.

There are many young people I know that have no interest in politics, except when it comes to gay marriage.

Very well said. Smiley

It's a big deal because it is unconstitutional for consenting adults and taxpaying citizens in a minority to be denied equal rights under the law all in the name of "muh Bible says gays are gross and will go to hell." I laugh at some of the asinine slippery slope arguments on the "traditional marriage" side like that it opens the door to polygamy and pedophiles marrying children and people marrying their cats and dogs and plants. When you just want to be treated as equals and not as second-class citizens and you have to confront this bigotry on a daily basis, it is a very big deal.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:24 AM »

The idea that marriage is granted by the government doesn't really sit well with me though. It should be a religious sanctum
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »

The idea that marriage is granted by the government doesn't really sit well with me though. It should be a religious sanctum

So non religious people shouldn't be allowed to get married, or religious people shouldn't be allowed to get married if no church wants to marry them?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »

So non religious people shouldn't be allowed to get married, or religious people shouldn't be allowed to get married if no church wants to marry them?

Atheists wouldn't want a Christian marriage, anyway
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:36:32 AM »

It is settled culturally -- but not politically. There are people who still oppose it because they fear the harsh Judgment of an Angry God through floods, fires, earthquakes, plagues, etc., just as there were people offended by the possibility of interracial marriage.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 08:16:00 AM by CountryClassSF »

Because there are entrenched interests that not only want to impose SSM on America via the courts, but also want to make sure it is put in our face at all times.  There are many who want to do this to make Christians feel uncomfortable.

It is fairly clear that the two judges who routinely perform same-sex "marriages" will not be recusing themselves from the federal case.  It's also clear how the court will rule.

Yet, for some reason, we have to be forced to continue hearing about this, to continue seeing this, and restricting the rights of those who disagree. That's how you know it's not about equality, but more about a radical agenda that is designed to oppress expressions of faith
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »

Most people who I've met who care deeply about this issue are Conservative opponents, liberal supporters, and my mom who opposes it strongly but I can't really describe her political views.  Most moderates, whether they support SSM or not, aren't determining their vote on that issue.  Conservatives I've met who support it don't care very much about it.  I've met a few liberal opponents of SSM and they still ended up voting for Obama in 2012 except for one.

Most people I know don't mind voting for a candidate with a different opinion on gay marriage.  But that's just my observation.  Economic and foreign policy issues seem to be more relevant to whom my friends/family/acquaintances cast their ballots for.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 08:58:10 AM by Governor Gass3268 »

Because there are entrenched interests that not only want to impose SSM on America via the courts, but also want to make sure it is put in our face at all times.  There are many who want to do this to make Christians feel uncomfortable.

It is fairly clear that the two judges who routinely perform same-sex "marriages" will not be recusing themselves from the federal case.  It's also clear how the court will rule.

Yet, for some reason, we have to be forced to continue hearing about this, to continue seeing this, and restricting the rights of those who disagree. That's how you know it's not about equality, but more about a radical agenda that is designed to oppress expressions of faith

Good for them, they shouldn't. Thomas didn't recuse himself from the Obamacare case even though his wife was a member of a tea party group actively working against it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »

Because having access to marriage means having access to things like hospital visitation rights, inheritance rights, custodial rights over children, etc. It's not 'just marriage', it's a whole panoply of rights that we have established via the marriage contract. Beyond that, it's a fundamental argument of legal equality the same way that arguments over whether or not interracial marriage should be permitted. If you don't support equal marriage rights for LGBT people, you might as well stop pretending you support legal equality for all.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »

Atheists wouldn't want a Christian marriage, anyway

The government doesn't recognize Christian marriage or Jewish marriage or Hindu marriage.  There's just marriage.

And, that makes no sense whatsoever.  What religious definition do we use for marriage?  Christian?  Well, some Christian churches recognize same-sex marriage.  And, what about if I want to start my own church where I declare everyone is married to everyone else.  Does that mean the government needs to give everyone on earth a green card because they're all part of the same family.  Not to mention, religious doctrine can't be the law.   That makes no sense. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »

In our faces? It's basically for a wedding ring. People rarely show a ring 'in our faces', whether a wedding ring or a class ring. The only person who ever did that in my presence resembled what I understood to be a prostitute. Homosexuality is not going away. For real in-your-face stuff, just think of the Westboro Baptist Church cult that the late Fred Phelps started -- you know them -- the ones who has those hateful placards, who protest the funerals of military veterans... now that is in your face!

I can't speak for God, but it really seams that he did make Adam and Steve as well as Adam and Eve -- and he made 'Adam and Steve' gay!

Nobody will ever be forced into a same-sex marriage.   There's nothing Christian about homophobia.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The best way to close the discussion is for the US Supreme Court to decide same-sex marriage as it did Loving v. Virginia. If you want to avoid dealing with homosexuality, then get the Hell out of urban California and go to some backward place.  
CountryClassSF

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »

Such tolerance
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »

Don't misconstrue me, I'm totally for it. I just don't get why it is such a hot button issue, and why its proponents are still so passionate even if it is basically a settled issue.

It's a war against people's way of life, even though the things that two private citizens do in their private lives have absolutely no impact on said complete stranger who is opposed to gay marriage
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Because being so cruel to a group of people as to an matter that is one of the most important aspect of our lives, marriage, for reasons that have no reasonable public policy basis as shown by the data, and thus seem based on bigotry or  priori religious beliefs that do not have a independent secular public policy rationale based on the data, is shocking to the conscience. I am just saying what others have said in a different way.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

It does when the stranger is forced to hear about the gay agenda and see it every day everywhere. It is when one faces social/business implications for expressing support for trad'l marriage.

One can have a loving gay relationship in private without radically redefining marriage or speaking about sexuality to the complete strangers you mentioned. I cannot fathom why one's homosexuality or heterosexuality too for that matter, has to define an entire person

Same-sex marriage will soon be imposed by the Supreme Court. Why is there now a need to punish those who may take a different view?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies