Will Rand Paul's statement about ISIS and GOP Hawks hurt him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Rand Paul's statement about ISIS and GOP Hawks hurt him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

It will actually help him

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Will Rand Paul's statement about ISIS and GOP Hawks hurt him?  (Read 2745 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »

No, that was typical King alarmism. No one will care once Iowa or New Hampshire rolls around.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:38:24 PM »

It helps him in the general election but hurts him in the primary going forward. It's a good move though.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:03 PM »

Won't hurt at all in Iowa and will have minimal impact in nh/nv. His chance in SC was always exactly zero.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »

Won't hurt at all in Iowa and will have minimal impact in nh/nv. His chance in SC was always exactly zero.

SC I think he will leave to the Socons to pound each other out. The momentum from the three you mentioned, I feel, will be good for him.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »

Yeah, South Carolina won't vote for a libertarian, let the Social cons duke it out, Nevada and Iowa I could see it helping Paul
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »

Probably not with anyone would was thinking about supporting him.   
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »

It's not just GOP Hawks. Hillary is very vulnerable to this attack.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »

Paul is to the right of Hillary on foreign policy. Hillary supports diplomacy with Iran. Paul signed a letter trying to sabotage it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

He isn't wrong.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:39:14 PM »

I don't think it will make much difference. I think that this primary will be illuminating. We saw the strength of Ron Paul in Iowa, coming in third last time just a few points behind Romney and Santorum. The younger demographics in the GOP are going to be of the mindset that this will not hurt him and Paul's success will depend on his ability to register and mobilize those younger voters.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:37:49 AM »

I could see this helping amongst younger voters and maybe hurting with older voters. But if he was the nominee I could see it helping among the general populace.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »

He becomes the equivalent of George Romney in 1968... this time.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »

The only people who care are hawk-motivated voters who would not be supporting Paul in the primary anyway.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »

From the new Quinnipiac:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Plus the other threads showing his struggles with fundraising and the media. I've always said Paul has no chance at being nominated. People on an internet political forum confuse the appeal of Paul to an internet political forum with his appeal to GOP primary voters. He doesn't have a lot of the latter.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »

I love how the GOP candidates who came out and said in unison after Bush's comments on Iraq,
"Iraq was a mistake!! I wouldn't of done it!" are now the same people lambasting Paul for his comments.

But, in the primary, it nearly kills him. The libertarian wing of the Republican Party has never really had leverage over the party, especially not now, when the Tea Party dominates. In a general, it helps him a lot. It shows moderate and undecided voters that he is willing to acknowledge the Republican Party's past mistakes and learn from them.
Panda Express

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 07:02:40 PM »

Ron Paul got 21% in Iowa. Not bad, and only a few percent shy of winning that contest.

Ron Paul was very old and a poor speaker. Rand Paul is younger and a better speaker. If he can keep most of Ron Paul's supporters, he can probably add a percent or two to Ron's Iowa margin just based on those factors. If there are many GOP candidates, it is very possible to win with 24% or something.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »

Remember that Rand is the only candidate that offers a different approach to foreign policy.  The hawkish vote will be split between many different candidates while the people who are more moderate on foreign policy will be unified behind Rand Paul.  I have a very hard time believing that 62% of Republicans think that the War in Iraq was the right decision.  Even my dad, who voted for Bush twice and watches FOX News almost every day, admits he was a bad president and that we never should have gone into Iraq.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »

He becomes the equivalent of George Romney in 1968... this time.

He was brainwashed into signing that letter to Iran.
aktheden
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »

Remember that Rand is the only candidate that offers a different approach to foreign policy.  The hawkish vote will be split between many different candidates while the people who are more moderate on foreign policy will be unified behind Rand Paul.  I have a very hard time believing that 62% of Republicans think that the War in Iraq was the right decision.  Even my dad, who voted for Bush twice and watches FOX News almost every day, admits he was a bad president and that we never should have gone into Iraq.

YOU are not the average GOP primary voter
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 09:34:55 PM »

There has always been an anti-war contingent in the GOP, and the 2008 and 2012 Ron Paul campaigns have expanded that contingent.  How much so remains to be seen, but for a certain number of conservatives, the cost of these wars, the fact that there is not a defined enemy (as opposed to the Cold War era), and knowledge of the fact that the American people are tired of foreign intervention for the sake of Nation Building all makes Rand Paul and his comments more of a plus than they would have been in, say, 2000. 

I think that there are a number of anti-war Democrats and Independents who supported Obama who are economically conservative and will find Rand Paul's whole platform intriguing.  Some will vote for him if he's the GOP nominee, and some may choose to vote in the GOP primary as (A) Hillary is on the way to a coronation and (B) the GOP Primary offers real choice, and one choice they might actually like.  I don't see Rand Paul as a frontrunner, but I see him as having the potential to be truly competitive.  His anti-neocon posture is what keeps him in the game.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »

I don't disagree, but this is a very risky move in the primaries.  It could help him in the general, but he has to get past the primaries to get to the general.  I think this comment was ill timed.  The only saving grace potentially is that America's attention spans are razor thin and he can overcome this.  I voted yes in the poll because of it being too risky of a move no matter how true it is.  I'm still supporting him, though.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »

I see Rand Paul's and Jeb Bush's strategy of "losing the primary to win the general" as pretty inane, as they are just going to lose the primary and never get to run in the general.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

I don't disagree, but this is a very risky move in the primaries.  It could help him in the general, but he has to get past the primaries to get to the general.  I think this comment was ill timed.  The only saving grace potentially is that America's attention spans are razor thin and he can overcome this.

With the competition as cut-throat as it is, I strongly doubt his rivals (and their SuperPACs) will let anyone forget what he said.  If I were a Republican running for the nomination, I certainly would not let that comment sink into oblivion if I thought airing it repeatedly would help me politically. 

He'll pay dearly for saying it, rest assured.   
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

With Bush it'll be an easier sell. He can tell the base, "I'm moderate on these two issues, so you'll just have to accept that."

With Paul, it's a completely different ideology which guides him. It may land him with the same positions as mainstream Republicans a lot of times, but it's still a completely different set of ideals.

Plus, Bush has $$$. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies