NE1: Northeast Devolution Referendum Act, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Northeast Devolution Referendum Act, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast Devolution Referendum Act, 2015  (Read 1304 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »

This can't possibly be constitutional.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

I believe that with the Consent of the Senate, which is what the bill proposes, we should be able to do this. The plan is, if this bill passes through this Assembly, for the Senate to debate it and for them to suggest amendments to it, if they feel it can't work in the form that we pass it on to them.

This bill should only become law if both legislative bodies pass an act on the subject.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »

I believe that with the Consent of the Senate, which is what the bill proposes, we should be able to do this. The plan is, if this bill passes through this Assembly, for the Senate to debate it and for them to suggest amendments to it, if they feel it can't work in the form that we pass it on to them.

This bill should only become law if both legislative bodies pass an act on the subject.

The Atlasian Constitution would have to be amended in order to give the Northeast some of the powers currently reserved to the Senate.  That simply cannot happen by a vote of Northeasterners alone.  And practically, I doubt the Senate will even take up this bill if passed.  But that's a separate issue.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »

The Atlasian Constitution would have to be amended in order to give the Northeast some of the powers currently reserved to the Senate.  That simply cannot happen by a vote of Northeasterners alone.  And practically, I doubt the Senate will even take up this bill if passed.  But that's a separate issue.
I'd be very happy to expand this bill to give every region the same powers - and hold a national constitutional referendum on that.

I'll see what the Senate says about this bill tomorrow.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »

Well as I said before, in the current form I'd not be in favour of the Senate passing this. The best bet would be to as you said make this a national issue because then it's much easier to change
pikachu
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

I like the idea behind this, but I agree with cinyc on the constitutional concerns...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:37 AM »

I propose that we vote on this and send it to federal government to see what they say about the bill, so they can make their amendments. Unless anyone has any amendments they wish to propose before we vote on it.

If you do have any concerns about the constitutional position of this - a passing of this bill through the Northeast Assembly won't make this referendum bill active until the Federal Government approves of it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »

I'd like to hear about potential consequences of this from the GM's office. That would probably be the final straw on whether I actually support this going through or not. Is it feasible?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »

I'd like to hear about potential consequences of this from the GM's office. That would probably be the final straw on whether I actually support this going through or not. Is it feasible?
I'll PM the GM and see what he says before we vote on this.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »

I absolutely love the idea behind this, but I agree with cinyc on the constitutional concerns...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »

I'll PM the GM and see what he says before we vote on this.
I haven't got a response... I'll put something in the GM thread...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »

It doesn't seem that we're going to get a response from the GM at this time.

I propose closing the debate - if everyone's happy with that. Then we can vote on this bill and send it to the Federal Government, if it's successful, to see what they make of this bill.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »

I was going to give the GM a final 24 hours to respond before ending debate.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »

I was going to give the GM a final 24 hours to respond before ending debate.
That's okay.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »

It doesn't seem that we're going to get a response from the GM at this time.

I propose closing the debate - if everyone's happy with that. Then we can vote on this bill and send it to the Federal Government, if it's successful, to see what they make of this bill.

I won't vote to pass this without some kind of idea about what the hell would happen if it did.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »

Kal has had 5 days since Clyde first reached out to him. We can't hold up the Assembly forever. 48 hour vote.

Nay, due to the lack of a response from the GM.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »

Aye - Let's send this to the Federal Government and see what they make of it. The bill can't become active without their permission.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »

Nay

I simply can't give the go ahead at this time.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »

Nay, but I think it's worth exploring again at a later time (with more help from the GM).
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2015, 09:33:29 AM by Clyde1998 »

This will fail now - but are people saying "I support this, but we need more of a confirmation on what the impact of this would be"? I sense that the assembly supports this in principle, but aren't happy to vote for it at this time - due to lack of information on what would happen.

If that's the case - I'll definitely want to iron out the creases and approach this again at a later date.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

Just to butt in here, cinyc is right that this, at the moment, is not constitutional, or, rather, you're asking  the federal government to do something it can not, constitutionally do.

Currently, the constitution gives certain powers to the senate which the senate can fully legislate on, and, implicitly, and backed up by a large amount of precedent from the supreme court, everything not mentioned there is given to the regions to legislate on. On those matters the senate can pass bills, but the regions can not be forced to do anything by those bills, so a bill on, say, polygamy could pass the senate giving financial support for them, but no region would be obligated to adjust it's laws on it or accept the money.

Or, as the constitution puts it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, no matter how many people vote for a referendum which gives the northeast certain powers specifically listed under the powers of the senate, if the northeast were then to pass a law in one of those areas that would be illegal and, actually liable for prosecution, because the constitution still delegates those powers to the senate and there are federal laws on those subjects, so contradicting them would break the supremacy clause.

The only way to get more powers for the northeast would be to amend the powers given to the senate in the constitution.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2015, 03:10:40 PM by Clyde1998 »

Just to butt in here, cinyc is right that this, at the moment, is not constitutional, or, rather, you're asking  the federal government to do something it can not, constitutionally do.

Currently, the constitution gives certain powers to the senate which the senate can fully legislate on, and, implicitly, and backed up by a large amount of precedent from the supreme court, everything not mentioned there is given to the regions to legislate on. On those matters the senate can pass bills, but the regions can not be forced to do anything by those bills, so a bill on, say, polygamy could pass the senate giving financial support for them, but no region would be obligated to adjust it's laws on it or accept the money.

Or, as the constitution puts it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, no matter how many people vote for a referendum which gives the northeast certain powers specifically listed under the powers of the senate, if the northeast were then to pass a law in one of those areas that would be illegal and, actually liable for prosecution, because the constitution still delegates those powers to the senate and there are federal laws on those subjects, so contradicting them would break the supremacy clause.

The only way to get more powers for the northeast would be to amend the powers given to the senate in the constitution.
I was sort of hoping that this would cause an increase of power for all of the regions, to ensure that it would only be a minor constitutional amendment, meaning that the Northeast wouldn't have any powers that the other regions don't have and that it's legal.

I proposed it in the assembly as there is strong demand for additional powers in the Northeast. If it passed in this Assembly, it would have to be sent to the Senate to make amendments to the bill. This would have given the Senate the opportunity to have an across the board increase of regional powers.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »

It seems to me, the best way to achieve this would be an assembly resolution asking for more powers, then lobbying the senate to pass such an amendment.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »

It seems to me, the best way to achieve this would be an assembly resolution asking for more powers, then lobbying the senate to pass such an amendment.
I'll look into this. I wasn't aware it could be done that way.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »

Fails.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies