Pat Robertson dismisses Frist and sort of endorses Giuliani?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 05:43:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Pat Robertson dismisses Frist and sort of endorses Giuliani?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pat Robertson dismisses Frist and sort of endorses Giuliani?  (Read 1000 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »

From Real Clear Politics:

In a vastly overlooked but immensely important development this past week, Pat Robertson, the Imperial Grand Poobah of the Religious Right, has placed his Imprimatur on a Rudy Giuliani candidacy for president in 2008.  When asked about the leading contenders for the GOP nomination on ABC's "This Week" last Sunday, Robertson touted Rudy's chances while dismissing Frist as someone he just doesn't see as president and McCain as one he'd vote against under any circumstances.

The Robertson endorsement, which came in very strong terms and emphasized Rudy's Catholicism, is about the highest honor a GOP candidate can receive from the so-con establishment in the national political arena.  And Robertson, the Don Corleone of that establishment, has shown he can make or break a presidential candidate at will.  Along with Ralph Reed, Robertson controls the most powerful political arm of the religious right, far greater than that of James Dobson, who supported McCain in 2000 and whose troops were far surpassed by the Christian Coalition's support for then-candidate GWB.

While Robertson's words may not quite seal the deal for Rudy, they almost certainly shut the door on McCain, who can now expect the entire South to be even more hostile to him than in 2000.  And Frist, who is trying to harness the power of the cultural conservatives, is apparently on a quixotic quest back to his medical practice down South.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:12:54 PM »

Interesting...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »

Robertson and Rudy? Am I the only finding this very odd? If it's true, I doubt it lasts long.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:26:18 PM »

What was it Robertson said close to the '04 election? Something about Bush saying there would be casualties or not be casualties? What was that?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:27:48 PM »

Hmmm...Hell has frozen over.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 12:25:55 PM »

I've said it before, but thanks to this I may as well say it again:  Frist is dead in the water.  No chance at all.

As for Robertson, I doubt he'll stick with Giuliani for long.  Bear in mind that McCain, Giuliani and Frist are the only frontrunning candidates out there right now, and Giuliani is hardly the poster boy of the conservative religious right.  As soon as somebody else comes forward, Robertson will soon switch over.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies