MI: Snyder signs bills allowing discrimination against gay and unmarried couples
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:47:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MI: Snyder signs bills allowing discrimination against gay and unmarried couples
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI: Snyder signs bills allowing discrimination against gay and unmarried couples  (Read 2190 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:57 PM »

Will someone PLEASE think of the children???

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »

More accurate headline: Snyder signs bills retaliating against the attack on constitutionally guaranteed free exercise protections.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »

Smiley What a moderate Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »

More accurate headline: Snyder signs bills retaliating against the attack on constitutionally guaranteed free exercise protections.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »

It is because of Gov. Snyder that gay marriages are recognized in Michigan today. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/michigan-gay-marriage-no-appeal-ruling-114910.html

Like I have been saying for months, this is not enough for the left.  They want to make sure Christians are forced to perform the ceremonies - because that's ultimately what this is about, is restricting religious freedom
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »

You won't be so sarcastic when you look at his accomplishments on other issues besides the culture war hot-button ones.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »

What is a "faith-based adoption agency", and why do they exist? In essence, someone who can't keep a baby wants to stipulate to whom it goes? A couple seeking to adopt only wants a "good Christian baby", as opposed to all of those Sodomite babies that can't be forced to believe what the parents do once under their roof? Or are they largely ran by larger entities that just want to corner the market on who gets a baby? This really makes no sense to me.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »

When the goalpoasts keep moving, its a meaningless modifier. Used to be there was nothing extreme about allowing the Catholic church and other faith-based organizations to facilitating adoptions according to their beliefs.  Is adoption now considered a public accomodation?  If so, what does that imply about the status of children as commercial objects? 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2015, 10:45:39 PM by shua »

What is a "faith-based adoption agency", and why do they exist? In essence, someone who can't keep a baby wants to stipulate to whom it goes? A couple seeking to adopt only wants a "good Christian baby", as opposed to all of those Sodomite babies that can't be forced to believe what the parents do once under their roof? Or are they largely ran by larger entities that just want to corner the market on who gets a baby? This really makes no sense to me.

There are religious organizations want to help children find good homes as part of their social ministry.  A person who wants someone to adopt their child may choose to go to one of these agencies. In some cases the state also partners with these agencies in placing some of the state's foster children, because they may have a good track record and expertise at it. These agencies don't discriminate against natural parents in terms of religious or life circumstances, but may have criteria about where they place the child, as a state adoption agency also does, but may have criteria specific to their beliefs about what is best for the child.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »

As long as the faith-based agencies receive no government funds and the state isn't putting children in their care into their hands for sole disposition, I see no problem with this.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

Freedom of association is scary stuff. Send in the national guard imho.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »

Same-sex marriages are not performed in Michigan, and are not recognized either. Only those 300 couples that were lucky enough to get married back in 2014 are recognized by the state, and only because Snyder decided to stop kicking and screaming for once in his life. Don't talk about something if you don't know anything about it or you're just going to change facts to make your position sound better.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »

Michigan has an equal accommodations law on race dating from 1883.

I see this as a last-ditch, rear-guard defense of the sexual repression of the Religious Right.   
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »

For those of you who don't get how horrible this is: do you really think that it's better for children to have no parents at all than two parents of the same gender?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:45 AM »

If I were a businessman I would not cut my own profits to please a bunch of fundamentalists who don't do business with me anyway.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »

If I were a businessman I would not cut my own profits to please a bunch of fundamentalists who don't do business with me anyway.

Or perhaps the voters of Michigan who defined marriage that he was elected to represent
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »

For those of you who don't get how horrible this is: do you really think that it's better for children to have no parents at all than two parents of the same gender?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »

I want to know if these discriminatory religious groups get state funding for their adoption services. They should not.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »

Or perhaps the voters of Michigan who defined marriage that he was elected to represent

SSM wins in Michigan if it is put up for a vote -- should the Supreme Court not make the decision on behalf of Michigan.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »

Sorry about the gays, in all sincerity- but excellent news about the unmarrieds! Smiley
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »

It is because of Gov. Snyder that gay marriages are recognized in Michigan today. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/michigan-gay-marriage-no-appeal-ruling-114910.html

Like I have been saying for months, this is not enough for the left.  They want to make sure Christians are forced to perform the ceremonies - because that's ultimately what this is about, is restricting religious freedom

This isn't about restricting religious freedom, it's about equal rights for everyone. Stop trying to make everything about the godd*mn culture war you far right-wingers are desperate to start.

Just to make it clear, so you don't think that somehow we're moving the goalposts:

It's not about marriage equality, it's about FULL equality. Gay couples and gay people should be able to do anything that a straight couple or straight person can do.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »

I think it is better for there to be some adoption agencies that do not do adoptions to gay couples, rather than to get rid of these adoption agencies altogether that are otherwise doing a good job.   
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

I think it is better for there to be some adoption agencies that do not do adoptions to gay couples, rather than to get rid of these adoption agencies altogether that are otherwise doing a good job.   

If they actually care about children, then they'll let gay couples adopt them. If they don't actually care about children, then they shouldn't be running adoption agencies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies