Hutchison Running for Gov? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hutchison Running for Gov? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hutchison Running for Gov?  (Read 3483 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: May 07, 2005, 02:44:45 AM »

Simply put, Hutchinson, in order to win, will have to pull a McCain here and rely on the support independents and Democrats, as Texas has an open primary system, where any registered voter can vote in any one primary he or she wishes to.
I doubt that Democrat voters will vote in a Republican primary.  If there is an opening in the Senate, I would expect a contest for the Democrat nomination, as I don't see any Republican statewide office-holder switching positions at the last moment into a senate race.  And Democrats aren't accustomed to switching to the Republican primary because there is nothing happening in their own primary.  This is unlike the reverse position 20 years ago, where in much of the state, if you didn't vote in the Democrat primary, you had no vote in local and legislative races.

So what KBH needs to do is draw people who don't typically vote in primaries (turnout in the general election has been 3 to 4 times the combined vote in the primaries).  What might help is if Strayhorn runs for Lt. Governor.  Voters in general are not as conservative as the people who go through to the convention.  Since the primary is so early and open to all independent voters, candidates do not have to necessarily appeal to the hard core activists (unless they need funds).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Carole Keeton Strayhorn (she remarried last year).  I don't think she has the resources to run against Perry or Hutchison.  If Strayhorn moves it will be for Lt. Governor.  This would probably help Hutchison as it would provide another race to interest voters.

He has the advantage of being able to prepare to jump into the Senate race, but if Hutchison stays, he easily wins re-election in his House seat.

Sharp has been out of office for 7 years, and lost 2 statewide races.  People might not remember him.  The Democrats are going after Cuellar, so I'd expect him to be concentrating on holding that seat.  If Cuellar ever holds statewide office, it will be as a Republican.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 02:54:26 AM »

Governors in Texas are very weak.  Lt. Governors are very strong.
The power of the Lt. Governor is limited to a legislative session every other year, and has to deal with 31 senators who have larger districts than federal representatives.  The constitution authority for the Lt. Governor over the Texas Senate is the same as the Vice President over the US Senate.  A few strong Lt.Governors (Bullock in particular) have given an appearance of greater strength.  This was especially true when there was a Tory Democrat-Republican majority.  Saying that the Lt.Governor has more power than the Governor, is partly flattery.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 08:14:46 PM »

The Republican primary will mainly pit Rick Perry against Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn (I think that's her new maiden name), as everyone is expecting Strayhorn to announce that she is running this afternoon.
Strayhorn is her new married name, replacing Rylander.  I don't know if she has ever run for office using McClellan.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies