What if the GOP told the South to get lost?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:46:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What if the GOP told the South to get lost?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What if the GOP told the South to get lost?  (Read 3070 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »

Nativism will always play well amongst a certain selection of the electorate, and a natural consequence of such a policy is borderline racist rhetoric from the fringes.

True, but the GOP has always had a very nativist element dating back to the former Whigs; they seem louder and more powerful now than ever.

Because now you have the nativists+Dixie all in the same party.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »

A Southern-based regional party will emerge.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »

Nativism will always play well amongst a certain selection of the electorate, and a natural consequence of such a policy is borderline racist rhetoric from the fringes.

True, but the GOP has always had a very nativist element dating back to the former Whigs; they seem louder and more powerful now than ever.
I see what you are saying about the "Loud and Powerful Factor"(which I will get to in the next paragraph) but a significant number of GOP Voters favor immigration reform(just check Pew Research polls) as evidence of this.

Now "The Loudness and Powerfulness Factor" yeah pundits and talk radio hosts like Mark Levin, Ann Coulter, and Laura Ingraham are very vocal against any path to citizenship for the 11 million in the US illegally. I think the Baby Boomer Generation Republicans share those 3 pundits/Talk show Host Views on immigration so that's why that message is so powerful. I saw Ann Coulters book intro of her new book " Adios America" on C-Span yesterday afternoon and she dodged any questions that Ben Shapiro(who was the questioner) asked her about winning new Latino Voters. I was  little more than moderately disappointed about Coulter's book intro on C-Span overall. She basically thinks Latinos are just basically Democrats and there is no use off trying to win them. She wants to do "A California Strategy" circa 1994 and get 20% of the Black Vote like Governor Pete Wilson did to win re-election. I just think it's just not possible to do a "California Strategy" circa 1994 in a Presidential Election.

About the nativism factor Italians and Irish used to vote Dem(FDR and Truman) in the 1930's and 1940's I think. I do wonder how much the immigrant vote helped Truman in 1948 win since Thomas Dewey(R) thought he would win that election. Dewey in 1948 sounded like Romney in 2012!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »

Appalachia, which is WVa, Va, OH and KY is mid south; as well as IN. That's just as important as the Dems 272 strategy: CO, NV and Pa.

2008&2012, were landslide elections, and Dems had Obama and Biden. Hilary, who polls more like Kerry and Gore, and 2016 may be more of a typical election, we will see if Hilary can win with only 272 electors.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies