Are you happy about the Supreme Courts decision on King v. Burwell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:40:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are you happy about the Supreme Courts decision on King v. Burwell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you happy about the Supreme Courts decision on King v. Burwell
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Are you happy about the Supreme Courts decision on King v. Burwell  (Read 2805 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »

What's your opinion on the outcome
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »

Yep. I'm a proud supporter of ObamaCare, and while I would make some changes to the law if I could, I have no qualms with the subsidies or the individual/employer mandates.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »

Yep. I'm a proud supporter of ObamaCare, and while I would make some changes to the law if I could, I have no qualms with the subsidies or the individual/employer mandates.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »

There was a part of me that secretly hoped that they would rule against it, causing a mad scramble in the Republican Party to save Obamacare. But yeah, I'm happy with the decision.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »

Yes-if Roberts votes for Gay marriage as well then heck it may outdo the damage he did on Citizens.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »

Yes-if Roberts votes for Gay marriage as well then heck it may outdo the damage he did on Citizens.

I'm pretty confident he won't be in the majority if the decision fully legalizes SSM. However, if the decision is "you must recognize legal SSM from other states but do not have to legalize it within your borders", then he will be in the majority, and there is a slight chance that Alito would be as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »

Of course. Even if you oppose Obamacare the other side prevailing would be disastrous.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

Yes. Really glad it was a 6-3 decision too. Hope SSM is also 6-3.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

Had it been struck down we'd see political crisis and a renewed impetus for single-payer, which both Sanders and Clinton would be agitated to endorse.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »

Had it been struck down we'd see political crisis and a renewed impetus for single-payer, which both Sanders and Clinton would be agitated to endorse.

No.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »

No.

Single Payer will not pass, ever. No chance at all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »

Sanders would support it, but I don't think Clinton would, and there's absolutely zero chance it'd pass this Congress.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:28:34 PM »

I am relieved more than anything else.  Smiley

There are only two major hurdles left until we can be certain that the Affordable Care Act's future is assured for posterity:

1. maintaining continued Democratic control of the White House after Barack Obama leaves -at least for an extra term or two.

2. winning enough seats in the Senate next year to ensure that whatever Republican gains are made in the 2018 midterms won't be enough to overturn a Presidential veto.  
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »

I am relieved more than anything else.  Smiley

There are only two major hurdles left until we can be certain that the Affordable Care Act's future is assured for posterity:

1. maintaining continued Democratic control of the White House after Barack Obama leaves -at least for an extra term or two.

2. winning enough seats in the Senate next year to ensure that whatever Republican gains are made in the 2018 midterms won't be enough to overturn a Presidential veto.  

Actually, the house is the greater barrier to enforce a veto.  It's possible to get to 67 in the senate while winning only <55% Obama 2012 states, but getting to 290 in the house would require winning D+10 urban and majority-minority seats.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 10:48:58 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2015, 10:51:03 PM by Frodo »

I am relieved more than anything else.  Smiley

Actually, the house is the greater barrier to enforce a veto.  It's possible to get to 67 in the senate while winning only <55% Obama 2012 states, but getting to 290 in the house would require winning D+10 urban and majority-minority seats.

I know it is, that is why I am focusing on the Senate.  Thanks both to gerrymandering and the natural compact geographic placement of Democratic voters, we will always be at a disadvantage in the House -at least for the foreseeable future.  So long as we hold the line there (preventing the GOP from getting over 250 seats), it will be enough.  Which should be doable -they just about maxed out last year, from what I understand.  
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »

Actually, the house is the greater barrier to enforce a veto.  It's possible to get to 67 in the senate while winning only <55% Obama 2012 states, but getting to 290 in the house would require winning D+10 urban and majority-minority seats.

I know it is, that is why I am focusing on the Senate.  Thanks both to gerrymandering and the natural compact geographic placement of Democratic voters, we will always be at a disadvantage in the House -at least for the foreseeable future.  So long as we hold the line there (preventing the GOP from getting over 250 seats), it will be enough.  Which should be doable -they just about maxed out last year, from what I understand.  

The GOP can get to 251. Gaining AZ-1, FL-18, NE-2, and CA-7 (Or MN-7 if Peterson retires) is probably the easiest path, and is realistic as well.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »

The GOP can get to 251. Gaining AZ-1, FL-18, NE-2, and CA-7 (Or MN-7 if Peterson retires) is probably the easiest path, and is realistic as well.

Is that accounting for the losses the GOP is likely to suffer next year? 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:58 AM »

Is that accounting for the losses the GOP is likely to suffer next year? 
That would require critical thinking.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »

On pragmatic grounds when it comes to the subsidies themselves, yes.  I don't have much confidence in Congress and the President in fixing it if it fell apart.

On jurisprudence grounds, no.  States means states.  Congress didn't anticipate that they couldn't force states to set up their own exchanges.   It's not the job of the Executive or the Court to pick up the slack on Congress's lack of foresight and change the bills for them so that they actually work. It's the job of Congress to not pass sloppy legislation.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »

On pragmatic grounds when it comes to the subsidies themselves, yes.  I don't have much confidence in Congress and the President in fixing it if it fell apart.

On jurisprudence grounds, no.  States means states.  Congress didn't anticipate that they couldn't force states to set up their own exchanges.   It's not the job of the Executive or the Court to pick up the slack on Congress's lack of foresight and change the bills for them so that they actually work. It's the job of Congress to not pass sloppy legislation.

Are you serious?  You think that basic logic and the clear intent should be overridden by something that's  basically a typo?

I wonder how you would feel about a typo in a piece of legislation that you support.  And, that's the problem here, it's pure partisanship by the conservative justices.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

Yes, I'm quite pleased.  Not only was it the correct decision, but I had zero faith in Congress to pass a viable replacement.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »

Yes.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »

Yes, I don't want millions of people losing their health insurance.  (sane)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »

If that was Congress's intent all along, then why did literally no Congressman of any party ever speak up and say that that's how the law was intended? Why didn't any state government ever step up and say that's how they thought the law worked?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 03:34:04 AM »

Yes, I don't want millions of people losing their health insurance.  (sane)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies