Call Me Crazy But
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:02:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Call Me Crazy But
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Call Me Crazy But  (Read 468 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »

Anyone else think Kennedy retires on Monday?  He presumably would want a situation where the president has to get his replacement nominee through an opposition-controlled senate, and this could quite conceivably be the last chance at that until at least 2021.

Of course, the GOP could try to leave it open until 2017, but they probably couldn't take the heat with SSM now on the line and Obama nominating a moderate non-white male R like Sandoval or Susan Collins.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »

I don't think Sandoval would accept a SCOTUS nomination now, he likes being Governor. Perhaps he would closer to the end of his term, say mid-2017 or so, but definitely not now. And why would Kennedy require that his replacement be voted on by a Senate of the opposite party of the president?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »

I don't think Sandoval would accept a SCOTUS nomination now, he likes being Governor. Perhaps he would closer to the end of his term, say mid-2017 or so, but definitely not now. And why would Kennedy require that his replacement be voted on by a Senate of the opposite party of the president?

Well, it would be his only real hope of getting a replacement who had similar views both on social issues and on the commerce clause. 

I think I agree re: Sandoval.  Collins would be the go-to nominee if a D president needs to confirm someone to a seat vacated by an R appointee.  There would be additional pressure due to the tradition of confirming fellow senators and it would also give them a lean D special election.  I think an R president would try the same thing with someone like Heitkamp if it was Ginsburg's seat and a D senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies