Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:44:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016  (Read 85085 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:23 PM »

Will the Greens basically become the equivalent of the Nationals, but for the left?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Will the Greens basically become the equivalent of the Nationals, but for the left?

I'd say that is pretty unlikely due to Labor's hostility towards them.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »

I have a feeling the coalition will barely cling

And if this happens, or a Coalition largest party in a hung parliament, I imagine there will be a new election within the year.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »

that'd have to be a house only election though, right?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2016, 07:06:39 PM »

that'd have to be a house only election though, right?

I believe that a portion of the Senate would actually be contested, but obviously not the whole senate as in a double dissolution.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »

My understanding of the obtuseness of Australian election law is that they'd have to go on for at least 18 months to allow them to have the normal house + half senate election; any less than that and they couldn't call an early half-senate election
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »

Yes! Chaser is back, love those guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMT39Ux4XE
Knives
solopop
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »

My favourite part is that Tanya still has the rat.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:31 AM »

Her children named it Harry
Knives
solopop
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2016, 04:36:50 AM »

Excellent name imo
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2016, 11:01:53 PM »

Pretty terrible interview on ABC Radio National from Adam Bandt condemning Labor for getting a deal with the Libs that they were trying to get. This puts a pretty significant dent in the Green's aspirations for anything beyond retaining Melbourne.

Knives
solopop
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »

What has happened in the US makes me so happy to be in Australia, thank God both our major parties are committed to gun control.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »

Bill was so good on Q&A tonight.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »

Pretty terrible interview on ABC Radio National from Adam Bandt condemning Labor for getting a deal with the Libs that they were trying to get. This puts a pretty significant dent in the Green's aspirations for anything beyond retaining Melbourne.

Terrible as in Bandt embarrassed himself, or terrible as in accusatory?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »

Shorten was fantastic.  Even when he gave answers that I thought a bit weak, he presented himself well, sounded straightforward and decisive.

I'm very pleased that he will support negotiating a treaty with aboriginal nations and the presence of journalists at refugee detention centres.

It's no wonder that Turnbull wouldn't appear with Shorten on Q&A.  His floundering would have contrasted against Shorten in the worst possible way!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2016, 10:15:39 PM »

Terrible as in Bandt embarrassed himself, or terrible as in accusatory?

The former.

Shorten was fantastic on Q&A and dealt with Jones continual interruptions pretty well.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2016, 02:15:42 AM »

This would be the second time in a week Turnbull has avoided an appearance alongside Shorten...
Knives
solopop
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »

Apparently the Liberals are out spending Labor 5 to 1.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »

Not surprising, that's the payment of big companies and wealthy people for the tax cuts.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »

Not surprising, that's the payment of big companies and wealthy people for the tax cuts.

Not surprising - at my last party meeting, we were sitting there agog at the amount of money the Libs have been throwing to protect Zed.

There was also that weird situation where the Libs paid twice as much for showing just as many ads as Labor had. It's funny, I mean, I think it has more to do with the Libs dumping their ads into prime time, where its more expensive, but still, oddly appropriate Smiley
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2016, 12:08:38 AM »

Given how well Shorten is running his campaign, and how dismally, or perhaps "typical" Turnbull has been running his, I'm surprised they're still pretty much tied. There hasn't been an awful lot of movement since the beginning of the campaign.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2016, 08:23:48 PM »

Given how well Shorten is running his campaign, and how dismally, or perhaps "typical" Turnbull has been running his, I'm surprised they're still pretty much tied. There hasn't been an awful lot of movement since the beginning of the campaign.

No, if anything, I'm beginning to come to terms with the sinking feeling that the government holds on, although the Senate will likely not be as good for them.  Doesn't bode well for the prospects of that ABCC Turnbull is always blathering on about!

There's no doubt- the more we see of Turnbull, the less we like, and the more we see of Shorten, the more we like.  That's why the election is being held as early as it possibly could have been.  It looks like there is just enough of that incoherent "muh Labor big spending" sentiment to keep the deficit-happy Liberals in power.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 08:34:27 PM by Ebowed »

Are you guys paying attention to the youth unemployment figures?

Or, even more strikingly, the underemployment figures?

The idea that the Coalition are the "better economic managers" needs to die a quick, well deserved death.  I mean, for god's sake, Turnbull drones on and on about the transitioning economy and yet he doesn't even have a vision for what the economy will look like outside of the prospect of it being easier to be an enormous corporation.  It really insults our intelligence, to try to foist the discredited trickle down economics on us, and yet, it looks like people are stupid enough to buy it.  Wow.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 08:53:07 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The idea that the Coalition are the "better economic managers" needs to die a quick, well deserved death.  I mean, for god's sake, Turnbull drones on and on about the transitioning economy and yet he doesn't even have a vision for what the economy will look like outside of the prospect of it being easier to be an enormous corporation.  It really insults our intelligence, to try to foist the discredited trickle down economics on us, and yet, it looks like people are stupid enough to buy it.  Wow.

It's very peculiar that, no matter what parties of left do, they will never be seen as "better economic managers". Gordon Brown and Kevin Rudd were excellent "economic managers" and, yet, both Labor in Australia and Labour in the UK have been damaged by the impression that they are bodies filled with profligate wastrels and moronic nincompoops. There's obvious reasons for this phenomenon: the financial press/media isn't composed of economists but, rather, is composed of "business commentators" who have taken, at the most, two macroeconomics courses and who have obvious interests in bashing the left. This, at least, is my view.

I'm very sleep right now so this isn't one of my better posts but I, too, have been confused by the inability of both parties to control the narrative, especially considering the fact that their opponents have forwarded policies that have been unmitigated economic disasters. In the US, I can understand why the average voter has a modicum of faith in Republican talking points on the economy: it's been years since they've had total control over the federal government so they don't have a clear record of failure and can be seen as some sort of an alternative. Meanwhile, in the UK, the Tories are clearly responsible for a double-dip recession! Abbott forwarded austerity measures for no apparent reason!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »

The idea that the Coalition are the "better economic managers" needs to die a quick, well deserved death.  I mean, for god's sake, Turnbull drones on and on about the transitioning economy and yet he doesn't even have a vision for what the economy will look like outside of the prospect of it being easier to be an enormous corporation.  It really insults our intelligence, to try to foist the discredited trickle down economics on us, and yet, it looks like people are stupid enough to buy it.  Wow.

Conservative parties in western democracies always have a way of convincing people, unfoundedly, that they are the best stewards of the economy. Facts be damned.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies