Petition for a Constitutional Convention, that would reform Atlasia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition for a Constitutional Convention, that would reform Atlasia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Petition for a Constitutional Convention, that would reform Atlasia  (Read 8023 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: July 05, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »

I'm positive it would change the regions, I already have ideas about regional governments including 3 regions only. Mr X. said give it a shot, beacuse there's not to lose.

There is something to lose. Who knows, we could do this, and it would go on like Blair suggested and we'd be at an even worse point. Atlasia 2.0 might just go into deadlock, especially if everyone's as pessimistic and partisan as they seem to be now.

I'm firmly convinced that this would not fundamentally change anything due to opposition of certain notable dinosaurs.
Let's try it though maybe we could introduce a term limits admendment.
I tried this in the very first senate, was summarily dismissed. :/

People, why would we create term limits when we seem to agree that there's not enough candidates for the positions?!?

I'm not sure who Oakvale's "dinosaurs" are, but why is it so impossible to calmly refute their arguments, and let the people democratically decide who's views are best?

Everyone has their own dinosaurs to rail against. I am pretty sure I know who Oakvale is referring to in this case. In my own view the dinosaurs that have done the most damage are those that have treated people like dirt. Some of them have been hear since the beginning, but it is not my goal to wipe them out, it is my desire to see them learn to be more collaborative.

The President is already term limited. Judicial Terms limits were discussed for most of 2013 primarily because a certain group despised a certain ruling they handed down and wanted the chance to clear our the Justices who made it. Two of those three have since retired anyway (though one was banned). In my view Judicial Term Limits merely inserts political whims into the court's decision making, a persuasive case I made several times back when it was debated.

I was elected back into the Senate back in April. Since then, six Senators have left the chamber (Windjammer, TNF, Cranberry, Talleyrand, Hagrid, and Lief). Term Limits imply that there is a problem with lack of turnover, if anything turnover is too high because SEnators are too inactive.

WHat problem is term limits going to solve? Who is going to block a convention? Roll Eyes The only way such "person" or "person's" pose a threat is if their arguments are solid enough to the point that it actually refute's an argument, which leads one to question the argument they are making doesn't it?   

I have never been against reform when it has been needed, but reform for reform sake has also never worked.

I would support a convention that can finally hash out some dedicated responsibilities to the regions and would go as far as a legislative restart to facilitate that change. Banning current players or what not would be counterproductive for as I said above (Six Senators in two months have already left office), and practically anyone who wants to go for a legislative position at the regional level, has a solid shot and that is the stepping stone for Governor and Senator.

No one is blocking anyone from doing anything in this game. Those who say otherwise are trying to advance a controversial agenda and remove those who have the knowledge and history to refute their arguments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »

then nothing will change because King Yankee thinks that this game is his and it should be so for all eternity.

Says the man who would be quite happy to off anybody he disagrees with and would rather deprive future players of the game rather then not get his way. Roll Eyes Your obsession is pretty damn disturbing.

If you want real change, the answer is not reform, but a clean reset. No constitutional convention, no petitions for this or that incremental reform, but a clean end to this broken system and the creation of a new game.

There is no mechanism to do that. You guys love to destroy first and why should anyone who didn't trust your promsies with Rimjob trust to let you destroy the game now on the vague undefined promise of a complete restart, with no conception of how that is to be carried out.

This is just another IRC conspiracy with the desired goal of destruction first and foremost, and one has little reason to trust any promises made about completely restarting the game.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »

Also, if any of the dimwits that are behind this horrible idea had thought about this for at least two seconds, I am sure they would have found out that there has been a petition for a ConCon going on for nearly two years now, which leads us to two conclusions, a) that there wouldn't have been the slightest need for this new petition, and b) that it so simply impossible to call a Convention as, as we see, people have been trying it for two years continuously now, needless to say not successfully.

But I'm sure I will be called out for this because of this "calling people names is what destroyed Atlasia!!1!1!1" bs that has been going on the last few days.

Why should you be getting defensive on name calling Cranberry?

Were all those people lying? They may have been exaggerating, but it says something when so many people point to the same damn thing for years.

This game is voluntary, people can leave anytime. Common sense tells you that driving it down to such depths is counterproductive. This is not the only or major problem, but it is a real problem and one with the increasing potential to cause us difficulty going forward.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »

Why wouldn't I be? Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »

X North Carolina Yankee

Not that it is the only approach. But at this point, all that has been said is going to be said so there is no reason to hold back for fear that it will hurt the movement.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »

Because even minor changes to the structure of this game have been utterly stonewalled in the past right up to now, I can't think that this would be anything other than quibbling over syntax and "regional rights."

As I recall you were pretty pro-region when dissolution was debated last. Even called yourself the most pro-region guy on the left.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »

Because even minor changes to the structure of this game have been utterly stonewalled in the past right up to now, I can't think that this would be anything other than quibbling over syntax and "regional rights."

As I recall you were pretty pro-region when dissolution was debated last. Even called yourself the most pro-region guy on the left.

That's been a while. Experience changes perspectives. Even when I was Gov. of the Pacific I supported a merger with the MW, then later there was a referendum, but we literally could not even do that. It was stonewalled. That was last August or so. Christ, I couldn't even appoint people to the council. So there are now 3 councillors there instead of the original 5, and they can't fill that! But now I hear, "Oh, we can make changes," but I see better than I hear. Wink

The situation right now is abysmal. Worse than 2013 by a lot.

Who stonewalled it? I was perfectly fine with the the two regions merging their gov't.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2015, 11:32:07 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Whats holding back the convention from gaining support is that there is a split in the reform without dissolution movement.

There is a substantial number that is very skeptical of a constitutional convention and thinks they would have a better chance through the Senate or through the regions. I am pretty sure people aren't fully realizing just how viable certain reform ideas are now that weren't two years ago. All you really have to is read a map. Wink

Anyway, at this point there is a lot of confusion as to who should do what when. There is a desire to wait for the convention or see how it goes before persuing other channels, but they do exist. To think this game cannot be reformed at this juncture, requires the willful suspension of disbelief. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »

Here is what I would recommend.

A) Go through with a convention, see what it produces. If it goes no where then resort to plan b.

B) Pass FTR in two of the three regions that failed it. One is practically a lock for passage now, a second one would be if ANUS stepped back from the edge.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:14:11 AM »

Well yes, losing Adam is quite the blow to my plans. I was hoping between the two of us, we could at least present an updated version of the plan we proposed years ago.

Indeed, to go from discussing how to "make it happen" with regards to said plan with Adam on Tuesday Morning to finding him banned Wednesday morning was quite the shock.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2015, 06:39:45 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I contacted a bunch on Monday. I think two of them have actually signed it. That is why it was going to take a long time from the start. I contacted far more in the South than the Pacific, but I did better in the Pacific with regards to % responding, than the South.

Also, you are going up against the fact that some care about Atlasia, but remain skeptical of this method succeeding. I mean afterall the ratificaiton process for anything coming out of this is the same as anything that would pass the Senate. Duke and some others who were in this came have come around though, at least on a tentative basis.

It should be remembered that a lot of the support that has been achieved, and definately the support that is pushing it over the final lap, is tentative and/or measured. This fact should loom large over the convention and be kept in mind.

If we are going to hold a Constitutional Convention, then we had better not end up with the same thing we have now after much talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk!

There would be a lot of very disappointed participants.

The differing expectations right now is the greatest hinderance to this succeeding once it has been officially called.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:57 PM »

Agonizingly close. Wink

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies