Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:53:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96]
Author Topic: Politics and Elections in the Netherlands: coalition agreement presented  (Read 269976 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2375 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

Our new CDA (!) Minister of Justice seems to have a very #woke Twitter account lol.

(zo is het = that's how it is)

He reminds me of my old social science teacher in high school. The man was so obviously left-wing on everything but he somehow voted CDA. It seems like we've found the Dutch version of Badger Tongue (assuming his Republican avatar indeed is unironical).

There also are some interesting tweets about Rutte (comparing his austerity policies to sh**tty tape), Pechtold ("political weather vane"), Wilders (illiterate), far-right voters (also illiterate) and Grolsch beer (assholes without compassion who are even more tasteless than the beer they brew). I hope he continues tweeting Smiley.

What's wrong with that tweet? Is anything stated in the picture false or wrong?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2376 on: October 18, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 02:59:22 PM by mvd10 »

It's an entirely valid point of view, that's not what I meant (though I personally believe income/wealth inequality isn't a huge issue in the Netherlands, but I'm not sure whether Grapperhaus was referring to the US or to the Netherlands with his tweet). I meant that it's a surprising thing to tweet for a CDA politician, especially since the CDA has been shifting to the right under Buma. And it's even more ironic considering that he is going to be part of a government which will repeal the dividend tax and reduce corporate taxes.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2377 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:13 AM »

So we basically know all ministers now. VVD: Rutte, Zijlstra, Wiebes, Bruins, Dekker, Van Nieuwenhuizen. CDA: De Jonge, Bijleveld, Hoekstra, Grapperhaus. D66: Ollongren, Van Engelshoven, Kaag, Koolmees. CU: Schouten, Slob. 6 women out of 16.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2378 on: October 19, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »

According to RTL these politicians will be the new State Secretaries (deputy ministers):
VVD
MP Mark Harbers for Immigration
MP Barbara Visser for Defence
MP Tamara van Ark for Social Affairs
CDA
MP Raymond Knops for Interior (he was also in the running to be Defence Minister, but apparently they wanted someone more experienced)
MP Mona Keijzer for Huh (I'm surprised she didn't become Minister, she is one of the most prominent CDA MP's)
D66
MP Kees Verhoeven for Huh
MP Vera Bergkamp for Huh
CU
Zwolle Alderman Ed Anker or MP Joël Voordewind for Huh (I suspect they only consider Voordewind to prevent him from making any trouble as a MP)

4 men, 4 women. Anyway, these only are rumours, but it looks like a believable list. I wonder who becomes State Secretary of Finance though. Steven van Weyenberg (D66) was mentioned a couple of days ago but he isn't on this list. VVD MP Malik Azmani not becoming State Secretary of Immigration also is surprising, I thought he was the perfect candidate for the role. Mark Harbers was Finance spokesperson as a MP, I'm not sure why they're giving him the Immigration spot. Maybe they want to reward him like they rewarded Zijlstra?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2379 on: October 19, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »

Sigrid Kaag (D66 member and UN diplomat) will be the second Minister at the Foreign Affairs department. Normally this would mean that she'll become the Trade & Development Aid Minister, but RTL says that the division of roles between her and Zijlstra is yet to be decided (which seems to imply that she will have more responsibilities than Ploumen or Koenders when they were Development Aid Ministers). RIP DavidB Cry.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #2380 on: October 19, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

In the next election it seems the FvD will become much bigger, just wondering whether the PVV and FvD have some sort of "understanding" as they have similar views with the exception of the economics.

Also is the relationship cordial with Wilders and Baudet? Both of them seem to have big personalities, especially compared to other party leaders.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2381 on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »

In the next election it seems the FvD will become much bigger, just wondering whether the PVV and FvD have some sort of "understanding" as they have similar views with the exception of the economics.

Also is the relationship cordial with Wilders and Baudet? Both of them seem to have big personalities, especially compared to other party leaders.

I don't think economics will be a dealbreaker anyway. Baudet barely talks about it and lately he voted for a motion that encouraged the government to scrap the VAT increase on food, books and labour intensive services paid for by scrapping business tax cuts.

I'm not sure on the exact details of the relationship between Baudet and Wilders. But Wilders doesn't allow anyone else to become PVV member and he also keeps an extremely strong hold on the PVV, Wilders is the boss and almost nobody else holds any form of power within the PVV (maybe Bosma or Agema but that's it). He claims to do this because he's afraid of LPF-like scandals (when Fortuyn died 70% of the LPF MP's turned out to be incompetent and downright dangerous criminals lol), but a lot of people think he also does this because he's afraid of any potential internal competitor. This probably tells us how he looks at potential competitors Tongue.

The FvD's party structure also is a lot different from the PVV's party structure. FvD is a very open party, you can join the party and they hold a lot of events (usually attended by either Baudet himself or Hiddema). There are a lot of internal debates. This is a huge contrast to the PVV's extremely closed structure.

I also doubt whether an understanding will be of much use. The PVV will never be in government again after the 2012 budget talks and their radicalization in the years after it. And I don't think the FvD is particularly interested in governing either. Personally I would be very interested in a VVD-CDA-D66-FvD coalition but such a coalition would never work because of the differences between FvD and D66 on Europe and because of the FvD's attacks on the "party cartel" in general. FvD might (and this is a very small chance) work with VVD, CDA and the smaller Christian parties but these parties definitely won't have a majority. For a majority you'll either need to add D66 (won't work with FvD) or PVV (VVD/CDA never want to work with Wilders again). The only way I could see FvD entering government is if they become the biggest party, but despite the Baudet hype I doubt they'll ever become the biggest party. I suspect Wilders will remain in politics for quite a while and Wilders has a core base that the FvD probably needs to win in order to become the biggest party but won't vote for anyone other than Wilders.

The closest thing the FvD can come to governing is the other parties implementing their proposal of a nonpartisan technocratic so-called "business government" (zakenkabinet in Dutch, idk what the right translation is) which will consist out of nonpartisan experts who'll seek a different majority on each issue (pretty ironic that a right-wing populist is suggesting this as I suspect a government like this will basically implement D66's election manifesto minus their leftish stances on immigration).

If you mean understanding as in not attacking each other, I'm not sure whether there is need for an understanding. Baudet's main talking point is breaking the "party cartel" (the parties which have been ruling the Netherlands since forever, basically VVD-CDA-PvdA and to a lesser extent D66 and GL), and the PVV definitely isn't part of that party cartel. Wilders probably will start attacking Baudet once FvD comes close to the PVV in terms of seats (and maybe Baudet will start attacking Wilders for being in eternal opposition once Baudet sees actual possibilities of winning the elections).

Another interesting thing to note is that FvD will run together with Leefbaar Rotterdam (local right-wing party in Rotterdam) in the Rotterdam municipal elections instead of running separately or even running with the PVV. They announced this not long after the PVV announced they would run against Leefbaar in the Rotterdam municipal elections (which is really, really, realy stupid as splitting the right is the best way to ensure the right won't be in government again in Rotterdam, even though they did a decent job at governing). FvD and Baudet see themselves as the true heirs of Fortuyn (instead of Wilders), and whatever is left of the Fortuyn loyalists seems to agree with Baudet and the FvD.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #2382 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:50 AM »

wow thanks for the detailed write up mvd10. Much appreciated. 
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies