Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:15:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Provisional Parliament: Voting on Amendment  (Read 21755 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: July 25, 2015, 01:08:14 AM »

Constituencies are a terrible idea and I will always oppose their introduction. Straight party-list PR, please.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:48:52 AM »

25 members is too much. The point isn't to give everyone a seat. I have thoughts on a future upper house of 12 members once the requisite population exists, and I can share if people are interested.

Assuming everyone is agreed on SJoyce's proposal, I have further thoughts on an electoral law. Obviously there should be no such thing as party registration, since that is an Americanism. There will be no state supervision of parties at all, but the Registrar General will grant official recognition to certain political parties provided that they meet a certain threshold of members. Parties are in charge of setting their own membership criteria.

Only officially recognized political parties will be able to nominate lists for elections. This does not mean that independents cannot be elected, since parties can place any registered voter they want on their list, and in any case MPs can once elected opt not to take any whip. The purpose of limiting the ability to nominate candidates to officially recognized parties is to encourage cohesive political parties (which makes the game more fun) and to prevent the ballot from being cluttered without jeopardizing the multi-party system that is developing.

I hope people find this all agreeable.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

I hardly think an odd number is necessary. Plenty of legislatures have an even number of seats all around the world. The rule is that a majority is necessary, and obviously 10 is not a majority, so 11 is needed. It would only be a problem if the legislature were divided into intractable opposing blocs of 10, which would run counter to the purpose of the game given the expressed interest of everyone in a multi-party system.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:56:55 AM »

What else is left for this Provisional Parliament to do? Once an electoral law is established and a head of state is chosen and voter rolls prepared, it seems that it should be time for elections.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »

I would like to see a more comprehensive electoral law covering voter rolls as well as the selection of (at least an interim) head of state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »

I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to appoint an interim head of state and let the elected Parliament pick a method of electing the head of state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »

Again, I think that it would be proper for an elected legislature to decide this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »

I don't think there's any need for 1(b) to be specified.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »

I see no reason to have that clause at all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »

I see no reason to have that clause at all.

Well, the Prime Minister needs to have the confidence of a majority in Parliament, right? The President can't just choose a member of a fringe party that doesn't have support as PM. We're not trying to make the President a dictator.

That's self-evident and there's no need to explicitly spell it out. Someone said earlier that it would be a good idea to rely on convention, which is why we won't have a constitution. This is a spot where convention would work just fine.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »

Hashemite has the support of the three largest parties. He will win. Stop wasting everyone's time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies