Post random maps here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:01:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post random maps here (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Post random maps here  (Read 988600 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« on: August 07, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »

Can you figure out what this is a map of?

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

And yes, that's exactly it, I didn't think it would be figured out THAT fast. Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »

Hopefully these maps won't be figured out as fast as my other one was. Tongue

These maps are related, & have nothing to do with politics.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »

Any guesses?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »

Any guesses?

The top one has something to do with temperature?

Yep, & so does the bottom one.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »

Any guesses?

The top one has something to do with temperature?

Yep, & so does the bottom one.

Any more guesses?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »

Here's an interesting map:

Any guesses?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »

Here's an interesting map:

Any guesses?

This is probably wrong, but areas you'd rather live in (dark red=really want to live there, dark blue=really don't want to live there, light colors=I could live there, but prefer somewhere else)?

Nope, it's a political map.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »

Not really, but they do represent presidential candidates.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »

Yes, both.  Can you figure out what exactly it has to do with them?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »

Yes, both.  Can you figure out what exactly it has to do with them?

Red : Obama won in primary and/or McCain lost.
Blue : Obama lost and/or McCain won.

In case both won or lost, the results of the General eleciton determine the color.

CORRECT! Or, to be more exact:

>60% red: Voted for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, didn't vote for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for Obama in the general election.

>50% red: Voted for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, didn't vote for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for McCain in the general election.

>40% red: Voted for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, voted for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for Obama in the general election.

>30% red: Didn't vote for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, didn't vote for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for Obama in the general election.

>30% blue: Didn't vote for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, didn't vote for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for McCain in the general election.

>40% blue: Voted for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, voted for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for McCain in the general election.

>50% blue: Didn't vote for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, voted for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for Obama in the general election.

>60% blue: Didn't vote for Obama in the Democratic Party primaries, voted for McCain in the Republican Party primaries, & voted for McCain in the general election.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »

No. That's 2004 indeed, with red representing a certain percentage for democrats and blue a certain percentage for republicans. The shades have the same meaning they have on the Atlas.

Hmmm...Is it the percent that each candidate won the sate by? So if Kerry got 40% of the vote & bush got 50% of the vote it would be Blue >10%?

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »

Red states are states that voted for Obama & have a population density above the national average, blue states are states that voted for Romney & have a population density below the national average, green states are states that voted for Obama & have a population density below the national average, & yellow states are states that voted for Romney & have a population density above the national average. The shading is based on the overall population of the state, with darker states having a higher population.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »

Red states are states that voted for Obama & have a population density above the national average, blue states are states that voted for Romney & have a population density below the national average, green states are states that voted for Obama & have a population density below the national average, & yellow states are states that voted for Romney & have a population density above the national average. The shading is based on the overall population of the state, with darker states having a higher population.

I'm pretty sure North Carolina should be yellow here.  There's no way it's less dense than, say, Alabama and Kentucky.

Yeah, Wikipedia has NC at 198.2 p/miČ and the US at 88.08 p/miČ.

Yeah, North Carolina is actually the most densely populated state that voted for Romney, I'm not sure how I made that mistake...

This is what the map should look like:

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »

The Green party runs a strong campaign in Vermont and D.C., causing a narrow Democratic win. 

How the fudge does the Green Party take away votes from Republicans?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »

I decided to play the election game that badgate posted. I was playing as Mitt Romney in 2012 using my actual political views. I thought that my pro-gay marriage stance would destroy me, so needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by the results:

Mitt Romney/Rob Portman - 309 EVs
Barack Obama/Joe Biden - 229 RVs

Also, how the hell did I win New Jersey of all places?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2014, 09:49:37 PM by Goldwater »

Some climate maps:

The first one is hottest month temperatures, the second one is coldest month temperatures, and the third one is precipitation.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »

Does this actually represent something, or is it just random colors?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

This is just a random thing I decided to think about to keep myself entertained while I didn't have internet. I deiced to divide the contiguous 48 states (+ DC) into 7 regions each consisting of 7 states, and this is what I came up with:

Region 1: The Northeast
Region 2: The Mid-Atlantic
Region 3: The South Atlantic/Gulf Coast
Region 4: The Upper South/Lower Plains
Region 5: The Midwest
Region 6: The Upper Plains/Mountain West
Region 7: The Southwest/Pacific Coast

I don't have the exact numbers, but if for some reason electoral votes were divided by regions instead of states, this is what I think the 2012 election would have looked like:

I think this map would be bad news for Republicans, since the region which would have most likely been required for their path to victory (The Southwest/Pacific Coast) has been trending very heavily D the bast few election cycles and is pretty much unwinnable for Trump, while I don't see any of the other Democratic regions flipping this election. In general, this would be how I view each region:

The Northeast: Easily safe D.
The Mid-Atlantic: Might have been winnable by Republicans at some point, but is pretty safe D at this point.
The South Atlantic/Gulf Coast: Currently pretty safely R, though with a pretty notable D trend recently.
The Upper South/Lower Plains: Safe R, pretty much the Republican eqivilant of the Northeast.
The Midwest: Somewhat battleground-ish, but almost always votes D in the end, despite certain areas trending R at various points in time.
The Upper Plains/Mountain West: A pretty safe R region, though not quite as safe as the Upper South/Lower Plains.
The Southwest/Pacific Coast: Went from being one of the most Republican regions 20-30 years ago, to being the primary battleground region, which at this point is far more likely to vote D than R.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

The Southwest would have voted 55-42 Obama. Not sure why that would be considered more of a battleground than the Midwest (52-46 Obama), or even the Mid-Atlantic (54-45 Obama).

Ah, interesting. Like I said, I didn't actually run any numbers, so I hadn't realized that the Midwest was actually so close. The fact that it only has one Romney state and no McCain states makes it kind of misleading, I guess.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »

Used 538's demographic calculator to simulate a national election where college-educated Whites and Blacks are solidly Republican voting, with Hispanics and non-educated Whites being mostly Democrats.

What situation would cause this to happen? Time traveling back to the late 1800s? Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »

A hypothetical election between Libertarian and Authoritarian parties. Note: the tickets are placeholders and I didn't even attempt to do home-state/home-region effects.

Evan Bayh (A-IN)/Dean Heller (A-NV) 271 EVs
Justin Amash (L-MI)/Kirsten Gillibrand (L-NY) 267 EVs

Battleground Map:

So, DC is solidly libertarian while Wyoming is solidly authoritarian? Eh, I don't know about that. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »

The Southwest would have voted 55-42 Obama. Not sure why that would be considered more of a battleground than the Midwest (52-46 Obama), or even the Mid-Atlantic (54-45 Obama).

Ah, interesting. Like I said, I didn't actually run any numbers, so I hadn't realized that the Midwest was actually so close. The fact that it only has one Romney state and no McCain states makes it kind of misleading, I guess.

And it seems my ignorance is proved even further, considering the fact that my Midwest region easily went to Trump thus election, the Mid-Atlantic region was probably the closest one in the nation, and the Pacific/Southwest one was easily Hillary's best outside the Northeast region. Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

Those maps are... confusing. First of all, why is Delaware to the right on everything except economics? If anything I would expect the opposite.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 06:53:42 PM »

What exatly is this measuring? How, for example, is Nevada more urban than Pennsylvania?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies