A word from the moderator (Please Read)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:26:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A word from the moderator (Please Read)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A word from the moderator (Please Read)  (Read 14450 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »
« edited: January 28, 2018, 12:53:05 PM by Lumine »

Hello! As many of you know, following Joe Republic's retirement as a moderator I have been asked to moderate the games board, one of my personal favourites and one that I feel holds much more potential than what one might expect (especially with a good amount of high quality games we have seen here over the past two or three years).

The Election and History Games Board is of course one that doesn't have the activity of other boards and I do not anticipate that much troubles will arise here (I believe two moderated post a year seems to be the norm, if that), so all I ask is for people who moderate or participate in games to keep things as civil as they have been in the past, even if the games can get heated at times. And, of course, please refrain from spamming. Some games may need more than one thread, but there should be a fairly obvious limit.

That said, I will do my best to be fair in those rare occasions I might have to step in, and I hope this board will continue to prove amusing in the variety and quality of games that we have seen, and that we will continue to see in the future.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

Congratulations!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »

Good job getting  the job. Excited to see you in action.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »

Update:

My laptop died today rather suddenly... Not only does this leave me stranded at the middle of university exams without many files I need to end the semester, but it means the files I had on The Iron Throne and Swords of Damocles are basically gone. I'm taking a bit of a break as I try to find a solution, both games will have to be suspended in the meantime.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »

Sad Best of luck.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »

And I'm back.

My semester is not done yet, but I think I managed to survive the worst. At the very least, I managed to retrieve some of my files (and some are lost to history), and taking a break from the forum was actually a good decision considering how busy I was with other things.

So yeah, I'm looking into the situation of both games as we speak.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »

As some of you may have noticed, the Survivor board is now gone given its low levels of activity (practically non-existent for quite a while). I am also now a moderator in the Atlasia boards, so I'm pleased to note the increase in power is liable to increase my already noteworthy illusions of grandeur.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »

As some of you may have noticed, the Survivor board is now gone given its low levels of activity (practically non-existent for quite a while). I am also now a moderator in the Atlasia boards, so I'm pleased to note the increase in power is liable to increase my already noteworthy illusions of grandeur.

I did notice that, huh.
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »

cool
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »

Gentlemen,

I'm currently on vacation right now, and the place I'm staying for about a week has virtually no internet access. I'll try to seek other means, but for players of Forward and Alea Jacta Est it should be noted I probably won't be able to write/update/answer for a week.

I will be confirming tomorrow whether a small game hiatus is necessary until I regain access.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »

Gentlemen,

For the first time since I can remember the Election and History Games has a large number of games being played at the moment and a noticeable increase in activity, which I'm rather happy about. However, that also means we've had a rather regrettable case of cheating, as well as a number of other issues.

I've been rather lax moderating the board until now partly because it's not the board that tends to give problems (and since my internet remains limited, I couldn't be as vigilant as I should have been yesterday), so my apologies for that. I'll be far more vigilant now.

Having said, I have a few points to make so there's clarity:

1.- Oversaturation: Great as it is to have many games, too many or too many of the same kind can be more harmful and helpful. Remember that there's only a finite amount of players, energy and interest, and having, for example, too many presidential election games can lead to not having enough players to play those games, which then suffer an early death. The answer to these games not working out is not, I should add, just creating new games until they work.

I can't force people not to make games because that runs against the idea of the board, but I can strongly urge you to consider carefully before starting a game. And if there's five or six games of the same sort, then seriously consider waiting until one of them ends before creating yours.

2.- Needless bumping: I've tolerated it thus far, but this is more or less where I draw the line. It is rather pointless to bump your own games with posts that add nothing but to say "bump" or "bumping for more players", and there's even an argument for that to be considered spam. So don't fall into that, please, or I'll take action.

3.- Cheating: Cheating in games was not against the ToS thus far because, well, no one (to my memory) has been so disrespectful and petty as to try something so dumb. I can't predict whether the ToS will be updated to reflect this new reality (I hope they will), but personally I won't be tolerant on that moving forward. So please, for the sake of some degree of decency, don't even think about cheating.

4.- Behavior: This is some advice, but if another situation emerges in which there are suspicions of cheating or a sock, bring it up immediately in the appropiate place. Post here or in the Atlas Board, PM me or another mod. But don't start a several pages argument of who is and who isn't a sock. It would be easier to solve the problem this way, and thus avoid threads from being derailed.

That's all for now, but I'm sure something else may come up in the future.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »

Gentlemen,

For the first time since I can remember the Election and History Games has a large number of games being played at the moment and a noticeable increase in activity, which I'm rather happy about. However, that also means we've had a rather regrettable case of cheating, as well as a number of other issues.

I've been rather lax moderating the board until now partly because it's not the board that tends to give problems (and since my internet remains limited, I couldn't be as vigilant as I should have been yesterday), so my apologies for that. I'll be far more vigilant now.

Having said, I have a few points to make so there's clarity:

1.- Oversaturation: Great as it is to have many games, too many or too many of the same kind can be more harmful and helpful. Remember that there's only a finite amount of players, energy and interest, and having, for example, too many presidential election games can lead to not having enough players to play those games, which then suffer an early death. The answer to these games not working out is not, I should add, just creating new games until they work.

I can't force people not to make games because that runs against the idea of the board, but I can strongly urge you to consider carefully before starting a game. And if there's five or six games of the same sort, then seriously consider waiting until one of them ends before creating yours.

2.- Needless bumping: I've tolerated it thus far, but this is more or less where I draw the line. It is rather pointless to bump your own games with posts that add nothing but to say "bump" or "bumping for more players", and there's even an argument for that to be considered spam. So don't fall into that, please, or I'll take action.

3.- Cheating: Cheating in games was not against the ToS thus far because, well, no one (to my memory) has been so disrespectful and petty as to try something so dumb. I can't predict whether the ToS will be updated to reflect this new reality (I hope they will), but personally I won't be tolerant on that moving forward. So please, for the sake of some degree of decency, don't even think about cheating.

4.- Behavior: This is some advice, but if another situation emerges in which there are suspicions of cheating or a sock, bring it up immediately in the appropiate place. Post here or in the Atlas Board, PM me or another mod. But don't start a several pages argument of who is and who isn't a sock. It would be easier to solve the problem this way, and thus avoid threads from being derailed.

That's all for now, but I'm sure something else may come up in the future.

Thanks a lot... If only you were doing this weeks ago.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »

I see no need to make a new topic as our dearly departed friend Lumine said everything that needed to be said. There is generally no need for a mod on this board, but I will be here in case things get too out of hand.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »

I see no need to make a new topic as our dearly departed friend Lumine said everything that needed to be said. There is generally no need for a mod on this board, but I will be here in case things get too out of hand.

Welcome, Comrade!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies