Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:46:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)  (Read 3192 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

This fits the Duke plan like a fing Glove just saying. Tongue VP acts as liason between the Senate PPT, House speaker and President. He could preside over any joint sessions, handle the elections of officers of both chambers, confirmation hearings in the Senate and even control emergency slots in both chambers. The opportunities are endless.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »

This fits the Duke plan like a fing Glove just saying. Tongue VP acts as liason between the Senate PPT, House speaker and President. He could preside over any joint sessions, handle the elections of officers of both chambers, confirmation hearings in the Senate and even control emergency slots in both chambers. The opportunities are endless.

I totally agree with you, but obviously passing any major reform plan is the obstacle.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »

The President doesn't really have much control over the VP at the moment, as in he can't fire them once they're in office, so I imagine that relationship between the two offices would be kept the same. But I'm not inclined to support this, because I think it's very important, as the job presently is, to keep the executive all on one side. If this went through the president would not only have no control over a successor, but the VP would mainly transform into an extra senator (as the tie breaking vote is the offices main official power) further weakening the separation of powers. If the system changes as Yankee alludes to then obviously this should be thought about more.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »

I'm terribly sorry for a delay, it's been a crazy week.

I understand points made above, but I must repeat the major goal of the amendment. The very backbone of the game are elections and we've just seen the lowest turnout in memory of most of our active members. I believe every mean to make the elections more interesting should be used, especially at this very difficult time.

I also believe that, given the VP being first in the line of succession, it's only fair to let the people make a choice, instead of simply having a name attached to the presidential candidate. It works fine in many jurisdictions worldwide, as well as in many of our regions and the world is not falling apart because of this. The possible problems are highly overestimated.

And finally, such an idea has been proposed before but never did the people have a chance to make a decision. It's only fair to let the voters decide.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 12:09:23 AM »

I think there is still the fundamental issue is that the VP has a clear constitutional role as a tie-breaking vote. In my experience as president, my view was that that call must be made in accordance with the overall policies of the Administration.

By doing this, YES, you create a more interesting election, but at the same time, you risk political instability, where a Vice President can be an additional political instrument the President and Senate must navigate. Now, I understand the attraction to this, but I don't think there's been enough thought as to how this scenario would work in reality beyond the fun of the election.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 12:56:18 AM »

Realistically, a big part of the strength of the executive comes from presenting a united front across the various offices comprising it. For this to work, we'd probably need to make the executive far more powerful to compensate for losing that united front. President is already enough of a booby prize as is.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:19 AM »

Realistically, a big part of the strength of the executive comes from presenting a united front across the various offices comprising it. For this to work, we'd probably need to make the executive far more powerful to compensate for losing that united front. President is already enough of a booby prize as is.

Because let's be honest... the Executive essentially serve at the President's pleasure. So you'd have someone in their team who they don't want and might actively antagonistic. Plus PiT is correct here that doing this at the same time as the President's powers continue to be whittled away is just a bit silly.

Why be President?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »

Well, the ConCon is coming, so we may better wait for this instead of proceeding with individual amendments like this, which may be soon excluded from the new constitution anyway.

I don't agree with your assesments the Vice Presidency should remain as it is, but for the reason states above, as well as the fact we're getting nowhere, I've decided to withdraw myself as a sponsor.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 07:12:37 AM »

Motion to table
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »

The ConCon is a better place for this, I agree.

I don't have a problem with this amendment myself. It would only make passing a bill more difficult in extremely specific circumstances (VP/President opposed and a split senate), and gives voters slightly more choice.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »

Motion seconded.

Yeah , I was initially enthusiastic about it, but very good points have been made against it, and we have a ConCon coming, so… Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »

Motion seconded.

Yeah , I was initially enthusiastic about it, but very good points have been made against it, and we have a ConCon coming, so… Sad

I sort of turned on it myself, actually.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »

Without objection, this amendment has been tabled.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies