Opinion of Black Lives Matter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Black Lives Matter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of this movement?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Opinion of Black Lives Matter  (Read 6921 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »

Don't want to empty-quote, but this seems fairly succinct.

Wales

Appalachian Ohio

Didn't the actual BLM say that the agitators at Sanders rallies had nothing to do with them? I don't see any reason to hold an entire movement accountable for the action of a few loons.

What SWE said.

Yvelines

Positive. Although I may question tactics from time to time (attacking Bernie), overall it's a great movement!

Kansas

This is such a white thread. "All Lives Matter", "Stop policing black neighborhoods" lol.

Very, very positive.

Indiana

Positive in terms of motivation, negative in terms of tactics. Hope it ends up less fragmented and dumb then Occupy though.

Utah

British Columbia

Positive in terms of motivation, negative in terms of tactics. Hope it ends up less fragmented and dumb then Occupy though.

This is roughly my stance on it.

San Francisco

Maine
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »

Ugh, wormyguy is back?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »

Don't want to empty-quote, but this seems fairly succinct.

Wales

Appalachian Ohio

Didn't the actual BLM say that the agitators at Sanders rallies had nothing to do with them? I don't see any reason to hold an entire movement accountable for the action of a few loons.

What SWE said.

Yvelines

Positive. Although I may question tactics from time to time (attacking Bernie), overall it's a great movement!

Kansas

This is such a white thread. "All Lives Matter", "Stop policing black neighborhoods" lol.

Very, very positive.

Indiana

Utah

British Columbia

This is roughly my stance on it.

San Francisco

Maine

Massachusetts (see I can imply meaningless arguments based on where people live too!)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 12:28:27 AM »

Positive.

Oh and since we're apparently keeping track of these things I live in a white minority neighborhood.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »

Massachusetts (see I can imply meaningless arguments based on where people live too!)
I think his argument is White People's Opinions Don't Matter...WPODM....not a good acronym (or argument).
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 12:32:32 AM »

I think his argument is White People's Opinions Don't Matter...WPODM....not a good acronym (or argument).

Yeah apparently people that live in overwhelmingly white areas aren't allowed to have opinions on this according to his logic. That logic is just very, very poor.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »

The weirder thing is that he's responding to people who have a positive opinion of it. What point was he even trying to make?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 12:40:22 AM »

Must I really explain the joke?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »

Alrighty.

If you (hypothetical collective plural) are really loud and insistent about how fond you are of black people...
...why do you live in a place with no black people?  (In most of those cases not even near somewhere that's majority-black).

c.f. Deep South Evangelicals and Jews.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »

So...then what about me?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »

Alrighty.

If you (hypothetical collective plural) are really loud and insistent about how fond you are of black people...
...why do you live in a place with no black people?  (In most of those cases not even near somewhere that's majority-black).

Clearly you know dips!*t about Oakland.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 02:55:25 AM »

Alrighty.

...why do you live in a place with no black people? 

...probably because the circumstances of our living arrangements are a series of coincidences or a result of where we were born?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 03:17:38 AM »

Alrighty.

...why do you live in a place with no black people?  (In most of those cases not even near somewhere that's majority-black).

"If you're a communist why do you live in America??"

Your "point" is very similar to the above argument, but quite possibly even dumber.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 03:24:33 AM »

Assuming something about someone because of the state they live in? Classic Atlas.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »

Today I learnt I live in Wales
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 04:31:56 AM »

Assuming something about someone because of the state they live in? Classic Atlas.

Yes. lol Worms.  LOL.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:55 AM »

Positive. Police brutality had too little attention before them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »

Positive movement, albeit one that lacks the kind of substantive demands and organizational apparatus that would make it more than just a sort of disorganized opposition to the mass murder of black people in this country conducted daily by the occupying armies (i.e. the police) of Capital. The way forward for BLM is forging a revolutionary party that can coordinate the actions of the black proletariat (i.e. the driving force behind BLM, as opposed to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, which was certainly more petty-bourgeois in its character and general aims) with that of the whole proletariat for the kind of mass action that can overthrow the capitalist system from which modern race hatred arose.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying blacks should build their own party, rather than joining the CWI (or whichever group you're affiliated with)?

No. I'm saying that blacks should join with white workers to form a revolutionary party. The CWI is a social democratic outfit that I'm not affiliated with. I don't think that any of the pseudo-left outfits that make up the majority of 'the left' in the United States have the correct political perspective or any hope of becoming a vanguard party. We need to start from scratch.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »

EXTREMELY NEGATIVE should be All Lives Matter instead, beacuse do black lives matter more than Asian lives???
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »

ITT middle class white people
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

Very positive.

Negative, First of all it should be All Lives Matter or Stop Police Brutality as police brutality affects everyone, and 2nd and most importantly its been turned into an attack everyone but Hillary group

First of all, blacks are disproportionate victims of police brutality in this nation. Suggesting that movements to stop police brutality should just ignore the racial aspect of the issue is suggesting that they ignore half of the issue itself. It downplays the importance of the racial disparity in police brutality cases. It also downplays black victims themselves by implying that blacks face a relatively equal burden as whites (or any other race) as victims of police abuse of power.

Second of all, as others have already pointed out, BLM has protested at Hillary events as well. This movement is not about the Democratic primary, believe it or not, but about one of the biggest civil rights issues of our time. The idea that the 'most important' factor in your opinion of BLM is the fact that Bernie Sanders allowed 2 people who identified with the movement to speak out at his event is really laughable considering what this movement is actually about.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »

Alrighty.

Am I required to live in a place that is full of people of my favorite ethnicities?

Also, for the record, I don't actually live in Maine for most of the year.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »

Alrighty.

See, nobody got the joke, because, traditionally, jokes are supposed to be funny.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »

Alrighty.

Am I required to live in a place that is full of people of my favorite ethnicities?

Also, for the record, I don't actually live in Maine for most of the year.

I'm so glad that we've progressed to the point of having favorite ethnicities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies