MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:36:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 48
Poll
Question: Rate this race
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tilt D

Tossup

Tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 284

Author Topic: MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread  (Read 129656 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »

Was just about to post it but McCaskill probably gets between 35 and 39% of the vote.

This is unnecessarily pessismistic. She has the votes to break 40%, maybe even 45%. It's just that she doesn't have the votes to win unless Hawley has an Akin moment.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #526 on: October 10, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »

MO AG Hawley was essentially forced by the MO GOP and the establishment. I don't know if Bannon will be on his side.

Apparently he has endorsed Hawley.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

MO AG Hawley was essentially forced by the MO GOP and the establishment. I don't know if Bannon will be on his side.

Apparently he has endorsed Hawley.
Hawley is very conservative. the nasty attempts by Petersen to brand him a RINO will fail.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #528 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »

I think he's now officially entered the speculative list of potential presidential candidates for years from now.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #529 on: October 10, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

I'm not entirely convinced that Hawley is as conservative as Bannon seems to think he is -- a lot of association with the Bush classes, the kind of business or old money Republicans that Bannon wants to get rid of.

But on policy, he seems to have his head straight. I'll vote for him, I just have a bad feeling.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #530 on: October 10, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »

Hawley is exactly the sort of overly-ambitious, climbing, skeevy swamp creature that gets praised for seeking higher office that a female version of him would be criticized for doing.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #531 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »

I LOVE CLAIRE MCCASKILL
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #532 on: October 10, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced that Hawley is as conservative as Bannon seems to think he is -- a lot of association with the Bush classes, the kind of business or old money Republicans that Bannon wants to get rid of.

But on policy, he seems to have his head straight. I'll vote for him, I just have a bad feeling.
Hawley is seen as a rising star, and has quickly united nearly all of the party behind him. If Bannon didn't back him, who else? He apparently tried to get Ed Martin in at one point, but he said no, and he sounds like another Tarkanian (as in perennial candidate who always loses). Rosendale and Mandel also seem to have coalesced both the establishment and grassroots around them.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #533 on: October 10, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »

Hawley is seen as a rising star, and has quickly united nearly all of the party behind him. If Bannon didn't back him, who else? He apparently tried to get Ed Martin in at one point, but he said no, and he sounds like another Tarkanian (as in perennial candidate who always loses). Rosendale and Mandel also seem to have coalesced both the establishment and grassroots around them.

It's mostly Hawley's credentials that are giving me the bad feeling. Bannon doesn't recruit star Ivy League lawyers and constitutional teachers, mentored by John Danforth, who argued before the Supreme Court for Sibelius, and then rapidly rises to the attorney general's office that fast.

Kelli Ward doesn't have that kind of past, and neither does Chris McDaniel. If Bannon wants to be recruiting a wide swath of potential candidates (Tarkanian's perennial candidacy + McDaniel's Tea Party credentials + Ward's nativism + Prince's emphasis on alternative strategies), that's fine, but Hawley really doesn't fit that mold.

The problem is the lack of strong statewide candidates that weren't just elected: Greitens, Parson, Ashcroft, Hawley, they're all new. But that usually means you throw a good state senator (Caleb Rowden?). Not a 37 year old who hasn't held elected office for a single year.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #534 on: October 10, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »

I think people here are severely underestimating how bad it looks to be running for Senate nine months into the job you promised voters you wouldn't use as a launching pad. My Trump supporting parents who don't like McCaskill are even pissed at this and they didn't even vote for her in her 2012 landslide.

Important note. This is easy attack bait, and McCaskil is sure to squeeze it for all of its worth.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #535 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:21 AM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #536 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

Look in those eyes and tell me this isn't Safe R. Wow!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Hayley is the rare candidate who is very conservative and palatable to the establishment. He will demolish McCaskill. #Hawley2018
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

I think people here are severely underestimating how bad it looks to be running for Senate nine months into the job you promised voters you wouldn't use as a launching pad. My Trump supporting parents who don't like McCaskill are even pissed at this and they didn't even vote for her in her 2012 landslide.

Rosen and Hawley doing this is extremely stupid (not trying to do a both sides thing here. i agree its ridiculous).  I wish there was a law where, unless in extreme cases, you can't run for an office if you have not completed at least one term of your first, but I feel like that would run into too many problems.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #539 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »

Rosen and Hawley doing this is extremely stupid (not trying to do a both sides thing here. i agree its ridiculous).  I wish there was a law where, unless in extreme cases, you can't run for an office if you have not completed at least one term of your first, but I feel like that would run into too many problems.

Missouri Legislature would probably be all over that -- they love ethics reform
Rjjr77
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »

Kinda hard to enact that law... seems like it would violate some sort of free speech claim
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »

That would have made Obama ineligible to run for President in 2008, so I'll have to oppose it.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »

Kinda hard to enact that law... seems like it would violate some sort of free speech claim

Yeah exactly
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #543 on: October 14, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »

Hurtman dropping down to Auditor.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #544 on: October 14, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »

I'm surprised at Rep. Curtman dropping out of MO-Sen. Hawley has an important issue working against him, as mentioned above by PNM.
I'm also curious why that article did not mention that Rep. Richardson of Poplar Bluff is also considering running for Auditor.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #545 on: October 14, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »

I'm surprised at Rep. Curtman dropping out of MO-Sen. Hawley has an important issue working against him, as mentioned above by PNM.
I'm also curious why that article did not mention that Rep. Richardson of Poplar Bluff is also considering running for Auditor.

Speaker Richardson said he's NOT running.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #546 on: October 15, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »

Because Bannon is not stupid. He realizes what happened in 2012 and that if someone other than Akin was the nominee, ACA repeal would have passed. All are also well aware of Claire's love to meddle in the GOP primary.

So that is why they are uniting behind Hawley and clearing the field.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »

I don't believe that McCaskill is as vulnerable as people think. 

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #548 on: October 15, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »

I don't believe that McCaskill is as vulnerable as people think.  

I think she's really putting in the work and it might not be showing yet, but I agree. She's not doing what many incumbents who end up going down have done. She's out there and she's talking to people. If Hawley just keeps talking to lobbyists and other Washington insiders, he'll be severely handicapping himself.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #549 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:36 AM »

I'm at least 90% sure that the Breitbart narrative of "conservatives coalescing around Hawley" is bunk. The man's a 37 year old Ivy League lawyer, not the type of grassroots or tough populist the Missouri GOP (which is increasingly radicalizing thanks to white suburbanites in St Louis county learning race tension exists) is looking for.

If Greitens was in his second term as governor he'd have McCaskill's seat on a diamond platter, I'm sure of that.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies