MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:27:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 48
Poll
Question: Rate this race
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tilt D

Tossup

Tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 284

Author Topic: MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread  (Read 129285 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: October 16, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

I don't believe that McCaskill is as vulnerable as people think. 

Why is that?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #551 on: October 17, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »

Ooof, McCaskill busted for misleading about her role in the Marino DEA bill, earning 4 Pinocchios.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/10/17/mccaskills-false-claim-that-she-wasnt-here-when-the-dea-bill-was-passed/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_fact-checker-220p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.19773c81c088
Rjjr77
« Reply #552 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

I'm at least 90% sure that the Breitbart narrative of "conservatives coalescing around Hawley" is bunk. The man's a 37 year old Ivy League lawyer, not the type of grassroots or tough populist the Missouri GOP (which is increasingly radicalizing thanks to white suburbanites in St Louis county learning race tension exists) is looking for.

If Greitens was in his second term as governor he'd have McCaskill's seat on a diamond platter, I'm sure of that.

Its not bunk. the guy is just one of those republican unicorns who has something for every wing of the party.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #553 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:18 AM »

Fake news.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #554 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »

The article seems pretty harsh and kind of misleading, though people will mostly read the headline and not much else unfortunately.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #555 on: October 18, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »

Not much else needs to be said on this contest for now.

MO: Toss-Up -> Lean R
McCaskill is still the underdog, but this is definitely closer to Tilt R than Likely R. People on this forum are letting their personal feelings about McCaskill influence their predictions here, and there's a good chance that this won't serve them well. I could definitely see McCaskill surviving in a good year for Democrats.

pretty much sums it up
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »

I'd say neither, I honestly don't think many really care, and if they do, it's not that big an issue.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »

Average American:  Where the hell is Catalonia and why should I care?

Negligible effect
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »

Yeah, when I first saw that I assumed Catalan was some sort of pharmaceutical drug or something...and I know where Catalonia is Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:53 AM »

Because Bannon is not stupid. He realizes what happened in 2012 and that if someone other than Akin was the nominee, ACA repeal would have passed. All are also well aware of Claire's love to meddle in the GOP primary.

So that is why they are uniting behind Hawley and clearing the field.

Yes, Bannon's instincts are so good that he's running Kelli Ward and Tarkanian against GOP incumbents (not that Flake would do any better in a general than Sinema at this point anyways though) and is running vanity campaigns against all the other GOP Senators besides Cruz who would've been likelier to lose his primary than Barasso. Such stellar political instincts. I can't wait to see who he rallies behind to get rid of Susan Collins in 2020!

That is the why there is have a designation called "Crazy, not stupid!"
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »

McCaskill's husband is in the ICU for heart surgery per her twitter. I hope he gets better. If doesn't, I could see McCaskill retiring. Morbid, I know, but something to consider.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

McCaskill's husband is in the ICU for heart surgery per her twitter. I hope he gets better. If doesn't, I could see McCaskill retiring. Morbid, I know, but something to consider.

Dems would likely have a better shot of holding the seat if she did retire, assuming Kander took her spot.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #562 on: October 30, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »

Dems would likely have a better shot of holding the seat if she did retire, assuming Kander took her spot.

That's what I was thinking, too. In response to their "handsome youngin' candidate," we bring out "handsome youngin' candidate." Except ours has a gun instead of a bottle of wine.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #563 on: October 30, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »

That's what I was thinking, too. In response to their "handsome youngin' candidate," we bring out "handsome youngin' candidate." Except ours has a gun instead of a bottle of wine.
She also was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, but got it treated. I can certainly see Kander beating Hawley. If Petersen is somehow the nominee, Kander would mop the floor and win in a landslide.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #564 on: October 30, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 11:23:41 PM by Representative Cactus »

She might retire anyway, considering she's already had one medical curveball to deal with (see above). I don't think it's tremendously likely, since - and I say this with all the respect in the world for her - McCaskill is sort of the ultimate career politician, but I also wouldn't be surprised if this made her finally step out of politics.

If she does, our best candidate is obvious. Considering how close he came to unseating Blunt in the ultimate banner year for Missouri Republicans, Kander would probably beat anyone the MOGOP put up against him.
UncleSam

« Reply #565 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »

I think that Kander wouldn't do as well at this point, honestly. His national tours and promotional events would make for devastating attack ads for the Missouri GOP, whereas last year Kander looked way more middle-of-the-road and nonpartisan in his fantastic campaign against Blunt. I doubt he could replicate anything near his performance among Conservatives or leaners next year, however. McCaskill will rally a strong ~45% of the electorate around her and, if she can convince just a few right-leaners in rural areas that Hawley isn't as clean-cut as he sells himself, I could see her holding her seat. It's not a good shot either way, but Kander is not an upgrade and might be a significant downgrade at this point.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: October 31, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »

I think that Kander wouldn't do as well at this point, honestly. His national tours and promotional events would make for devastating attack ads for the Missouri GOP, whereas last year Kander looked way more middle-of-the-road and nonpartisan in his fantastic campaign against Blunt. I doubt he could replicate anything near his performance among Conservatives or leaners next year, however. McCaskill will rally a strong ~45% of the electorate around her and, if she can convince just a few right-leaners in rural areas that Hawley isn't as clean-cut as he sells himself, I could see her holding her seat. It's not a good shot either way, but Kander is not an upgrade and might be a significant downgrade at this point.

So they have 1 year of ammunition against Kander vs. 12 years of ammunition and voting record against McCaskill.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #567 on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

Kander could no longer win. His high profile criticism of Trump and all Republicans will not be popular. Nationalization of races in Red and blue states hurts the opposite party of the state.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: October 31, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »

Kander could no longer win. His high profile criticism of Trump and all Republicans will not be popular. Nationalization of races in Red and blue states hurts the opposite party of the state.

McCaskill has not criticized Trump and Republicans?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #569 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »

McCaskill has not criticized Trump and Republicans?
I didn't say McCaskill could win.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #570 on: November 02, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/926162746143592449

McCaskill's husband is much better now.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #571 on: November 26, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

I've conducted a tracking poll of this race using GCS, but with my own methodology and analysis to fix the obvious problems GCS has. The first round was conducted in early October, the second round in late November. High margins of error for both but data nonetheless. Below is the link to the results. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k7_LfBC31DB15sxE4vF-eYvuC79jLOhi/view?usp=sharing
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #572 on: November 27, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

I just read on twitter that a referendum to overturn right to work was put on the ballot along with the Senate race. I don't think McCaskill had a turnout problem before, but now she certainly doesn't.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #573 on: November 27, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »

I just read on twitter that a referendum to overturn right to work was put on the ballot along with the Senate race. I don't think McCaskill had a turnout problem before, but now she certainly doesn't.

I made this point months ago. Another lifeline in what should of been a loss
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #574 on: November 27, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »

I seem to recall Arkansans voting bigly for Cotton while hiking the minimum wage 3 years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies