MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:55:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Rate this race
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tilt D

Tossup

Tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 284

Author Topic: MO-SEN 2018: The Megathread  (Read 130765 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: November 23, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
« edited: November 23, 2016, 01:03:15 PM by Virginia »

2018 is obviously not going to be a "Democratic wave year". The issue in 2010 or 2014 was not that people massively turned out against an unpopular Democratic administration, the issue was that Democrats simply didn't turn out at all and Republicans did. That's not likely to change in 2018. McCaskill is still in deep trouble, and so are Tester, Heitkamp, Donnelly, etc...

David, there is really no way you can know that. Even when I rant about 2018, I'm only making educated guesses. Independents could completely turn on Republicans like 2006, Democrats could experience a surge in turnout while Republicans, upset by Trump, a man many didn't explicitly support for him so much as a vote against Clinton, stay home, and a fair number of Republicans could switch over. OR maybe none of that happens.

It is clear that Republicans, for now, still have a structural midterm advantage in a number of ways, but that is by no means an ironclad insulator against backlash.

All I can say is, just keep an eye on the Generic Ballot question for 2018 and Trump's approval ratings. If you see Trump constantly floating around the low 40s (or lower) and a generic congressional ballot polls showing Democrats up by mid-high single digits or low double digits, Republicans could very well be in for big trouble in 2018. They might not lose the Senate but the House and many state legislatures/governorships would be at risk.

Or maybe, it's a wash. Who knows, but there are ways to see a backlash coming ahead of time. It's rarely a genuine surprise and in some cases can be seen long before election day.

1998 was a democratic year under a democratic president without a terrorist attack. 1990 was a neutral year.

And Bill had something in 98 that Bush had in 2002 - very high approval ratings. Bill also had favorable economic conditions. Unpopular presidents almost never have those kinds of favorable midterms.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

I still wish Kander would be running in 2018 and not McCaskill. It's such a shame he lost last year Sad
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »

I predict Mccaskill will win next year and in 2020 win the presidency.

Wait wait wait what?

umm. yea if McCaskill can manage to win next year I believe she would be an exceptionally strong candidate for President in 2020.

Look at her picture she looks like a president!

Oh Jimmie Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »

Tilt R, used to be Lean R.

Praying for Austin "Wannabe Ted Cruz" Petersen.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Austin Petersen - Libertarian Debate, 2016
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:10 PM »

Ugh - being in the south central region of Illinois, I get all of the news stations out of St. Louis.

And honestly, I'll be glad when November 7 comes around so that their stupid ads can stop playing.

Welcome to the club. I live in Florida, so naturally it's non-stop almost every election year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies