Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:00:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship  (Read 11324 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2015, 10:31:16 AM by Likely Voter »

If you can't beat em, join em? Scott Walker is embracing Trumpism.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/scott-walker-to-nbcs-kasie-hunt-we-should-stop-birthright-citizenship-506850371891

Also this morning when Walker was on Fox and Friends, Walker said his immigration plan would be 'very similiar' to Trump's, and he also called for building a wall.

The call to end birthright citizenship may become a new litmus test. Will be interesting to see where Bush and Rubio come down on this.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

This is insane. What the hell is happening?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »

If I'm a fetus in conservative run America, I'm begging to be aborted because apparently my civil rights are all downhill from there.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »

The practice of birthright citizenship goes back to the beginning of the country, i.e., it was implicitly enshrined by the Founding Fathers. I don't see it becoming a litmus test.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »

The practice of birthright citizenship goes back to the beginning of the country, i.e., it was implicitly enshrined by the Founding Fathers. I don't see it becoming a litmus test.

Birthright citizenship is a relic from colonial times. It has no place in modern-day America.
mencken
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »

Walker gains points with me for this. The problem is knowing whether his immigration policy is genuiene or (far more likely) political posturing.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »

Will this require a constitutional amendment??
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

Yes. It would require repealing the Fourteenth Amendment.
mencken
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »

Birthright citizenship is a relic from colonial times. It has no place in modern-day America.

Your trolling has gone too far, unless you seriously intend to argue that I should not be a citizen, considering that neither of my parents had been naturalised when I was born, or consider me "foreign spawn".
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »

There have been bills introduced in Congress to end birthright citizenship by redefining what it means to be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the USA. The latest by Iowa's Steve King (perhaps Walker is angling for a King endorsement?) and in the Senate by David Vitter.

But even if it did pass, I suspect it would end up at SCOTUS
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »

There have been bills introduced in Congress to end birthright citizenship by redefining what it means to be "subject to the jurisdiction" of the USA. The latest by Iowa's Steve King (perhaps Walker is angling for a King endorsement?) and in the Senate by David Vitter.

Thank you for your explanation.....
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 03:08:53 PM »

Yes, of course. You would need to abolish the following "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside" : it is called the fourteenth amendment. Unless, of course, you are willing to make the children of illegal immigrants not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2015, 03:12:23 PM by ag »

Well, as long as you do not prosecute illegal aliens and their children in a US court for any crime they may commit, I guess, you could pull this off.

Of course, the scary part may be that you would then create gigantic Guantanamos without the courts. If SCOTUS were to rule THAT constitutional, I guess, it would make foreign travel on a US passport a rather perilous proposition, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 03:13:59 PM »

Anyway, I guess, all thought of Republicans doing better among the Hispanics has been abandoned. The White Party has oficially been born.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »

Walker, supposed establishment friendly candidate, bragging about how similar his immigration plan is to Trump's.  Oh, how far this field has fallen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »

I suppose Walker had to say something that could give a potential boost, since Trump could very well carry Iowa. Iowa is a must win for Walker.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »

Calling for an end to birthright citizenship is unamerican.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

Birthright citizenship is a right Limbaugh, Levin, and Hannity - the Trio of Trumpeteers, as I call them - have defended vigorously. This idiocy is a step too far.

This is Un-American. Declare the Holy American War!

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2015, 04:12:13 PM by Assemblyman Superman »

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I just lost a ton of respect for Walker.
mencken
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »

I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
My parents came here legally and became citizens.

America is a nation of immigrants, and we should be more accepting of those who come here hoping for a better life. Immigration should be easier, not more restrictive. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to all people born in America, regardless of where their parents come from.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »

You are punishing children for their parent's perceived transgressions.  How would a newborn even get permission to be a resident in the United States?

The answer to that hypothetical question is that they don't need to.  Our constitution makes clear that if this country is your birthplace, you have a right to call it home.  Being born here is 'permission' enough, and that is how it should be.
mencken
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »

America is a nation of immigrants, and we should be more accepting of those who come here hoping for a better life. Immigration should be easier, not more restrictive. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to all people born in America, regardless of where their parents come from.

I see; so you merely attacked a straw man argument as a soap box for your own preferred policy.

As such, you continued to advocate straw men, as I never advocated making immigration more restrictive. And, if the 14th Amendment were intended to give citizenship to all people born on US soil, then would not the Snyder Act have been superfluous?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »

I see; so you merely attacked a straw man argument as a soap box for your own preferred policy.

As such, you continued to advocate straw men, as I never advocated making immigration more restrictive. And, if the 14th Amendment were intended to give citizenship to all people born on US soil, then would not the Snyder Act have been superfluous?
Citizens of Indian tribes were not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, but everyone else who is within America's borders is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies