Which do you most identify with? (more inclusive poll - 54 options) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:56:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which do you most identify with? (more inclusive poll - 54 options) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you most identify with?
Christian - Catholic
Christian - Orthodox
Christian - Anglican
Christian - Baptist
Christian - Lutheran
Christian - Calvinist
Christian - Presbyterian
Christian - Congregationalist
Christian - Methodist
Christian - Adventist
Christian - Anabaptist
Christian - Quaker
Christian - Mormon/LDS
Christian - Pentacostal
Christian - Charismatic
Christian - Evangelical
Christian - Jehovah's Witnesses
Christian - Nondenominational
Christian - Other
Jewish - Reform
Jewish - Conservative
Jewish - Orthodox
Jewish - Other
Muslim - Sunni
Muslim - Shia
Muslim - Khawarij
Muslim - Other
Buddhist - Theravada
Buddhist - Mahayana
Buddhist - Vajrayana
Buddhist - Other
Hindu - Vaishnavism
Hindu - Shaivism
Hindu - Shaktism
Hindu - Smartism
Hindu - Other
Unitarian Universalism
Confucian
Taoist
Shinto
Jain
Sikh
Zoroastrian
Baha'i
Wiccan
Satanist
New Age
Old World/Folk/Spirits/Nature/Indigenous/Greek/Norse/Egyptian/Celtic
Secular Humanism
Scientology
Other Nontheistic Philosophy
Agnostic
Atheist
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which do you most identify with? (more inclusive poll - 54 options)  (Read 23093 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »

in order of the poll,
top five:

Taoist, S. Humanism
Other 'nontheistic',
atheist, other (nota)
simply put
existentialism
because this life
is all we have
and all we experience
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »

I had been a UU for over 20 years. Although I still find a little good in the religion, I have become increasingly turned off by all the negative politics. It is also to much into the all you need is love mantra. I would prefer a more atheistic or humanistic or whatever you want to call it and zero politics religon. I don't think that nonChristians should feel any need to celebrate Christmas or anything else for that matter. Even though many UUs are humanists or atheists there is still to much traditional religion. If you don't agree with the political UU party line, how can you feel comfortable being UU? The whole idea of pluralism is much more difficult and much more complex than some people realize. People that talk about pluralism tend to be very liberal and have difficulty fully accepting moderates and conservatives.

None of the above is more to the point and that's where I am. I am perfectly able to think for myself and I don't need anyone else telling me what to believe or how to vote.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »

UU has a congregational organization Quadist, so a lot depends on the congregation. If you don't like the one you go to then try another. The one I go to is mostly apolitical which you would like, but it also has a heavy dose of spirituality, not exclusively of one religion, tho admittedly we have more Christians than is typical for a UU congregation these days.

Actually Quakers are similar to UUs in some ways. The worship style is very different.
Quakers are much more Christian in general. I don't know how common atheist/agnostic Quakers are, but even though most Quakers would call themselves Christian, there are more different that similar than most Christian denominations. I could be comfortable calling myself a secular Quaker although I am not a member at this time. I know that there are Buddhist UUs and that comes closer to my beliefs, more Buddhist than UU though, perhaps. It is good to know that there are apolitical UU congregations, although I don't know of any near me. The UU as a whole is quite political however. I have been to three general assemblies and 'social justice' is a big part of the agenda.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »

Perhaps it is an oversimplification, but Christianity is a very broken religion as far as first of all people not living up to what it requires, and secondly in that it is divided into so many sects, although one of the advantages of Roman Catholicism is that it has remained united, at least in a superficial way. I think that there are thousands of Christian sects.

People should try to live up to the idea of being perfect, which is what Jesus taught, rather than using "I'm only human and a sinner" as a feeble excuse for wrongdoing.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »

Those voting "other"... which options did I miss?
Your list is very good, but in the US (I don't know about other countries)... many simply define themselves as "nones", which is a very large category, second only to Evangelicals:

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

"Nothing in particular" is larger than agnostics and atheists combined, although all three options are grouped together as "nones". "Nothing in particular" is not the same as nontheist because it doesn't mean that one doesn't believe in a god or goddess; one could be in this group and still be theistic.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »

Are there any options missing that should be included, particularly the Christian subdivisions?
Christian Science.
I would add Anabapist to my list even though it is Christian and I'm not.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »

I identify most with pacifism, and some religions are better than others on this.

I also identify with science, logic, and math.

All religions are quite interesting to study and psychology plays a role in understanding the various world views, religions, philosophies and how they relate to politics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies