Exam boost for students if pet dies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Exam boost for students if pet dies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Exam boost for students if pet dies  (Read 4105 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:02:31 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2005, 04:26:40 PM by Bono »

Exam boost for pupils if pet dies

Exam hall

Critics say the system sends out the wrong message
A system giving students extra marks if they have suffered personal trauma is being defended by an exams authority.

GCSE and A-level pupils in England are given 5% more if a parent dies close to exam day or 4% for a distant relative.

They get 2% more if a pet dies or 1% if they get a headache. Critics say the system panders to an "excuse for everything" attitude.

But the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) says taking such events into consideration is "nothing new".

The guidelines are set out by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ), which represents England's three main exam authorities, including the AQA.

'Nothing new'

AQA public affairs manager Claire Ellis said the system was an attempt to quantify the sorts of circumstances which would merit special consideration and ensure consistency across the various exam boards.

She said: "The number of extra marks available are actually rather small, and in most cases they do not change the final grade.

"However, they are a way of compensating a candidate who has been genuinely adversely affected by a situation beyond their control."

She added: "The applications will still go through the schools and colleges, who will be close to the candidates and have knowledge of their home circumstances.

"And a degree of proof will still be required. For example, in the case of illness, which makes up 85% of special consideration applications, a GP's letter may be required."

Type of trauma and % added
Recent death of parent or close relative - 5%
Recent death of distant family member - 4%
Witness to distressing event on day of exam - 3%
Hay fever - 2%
Death of family pet on day of exam - 2%
Pet dies day before exam - 1%
Headache - 1% (enphasis mine)

'Deal with it'

However, the scheme has not gone down well with pressure group Campaign for Real Education.

Chairman Nick Seaton said: "This panders to the growing attitude in society that there is an excuse for everything.

"Youngsters should realise that bad things happen in life and it is important to deal with them.

"Of course, there are circumstances when a pupil might be particularly distressed and a teacher can scribble a note on the exam paper, as happened in the past.

"But formalising and quantifying excuses in this way sends out the wrong message."
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:07:12 PM »

So little Billy goes out and buys 10 goldfish.

And flushes one down a toilet each day he has an exam.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 05:30:57 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

File this one under "stupid ideas that should never have seen the light of day".

My university gives concessions for traumatic experiences, like the death of a close relative, but it's not by giving you an arbitrary boost; they just let you take the exam on a later date.  I personally think that that method is much better than this.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 03:19:59 PM »

I wish we had that. I'd use Erc idea, though a body may need to be produced. In that case I'd put the fish in soda or orange juice.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:24 PM »

What the hell, I could understand allowing the student to take the test later if a parent or close reliative died, but this is crazy
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:03:57 PM »

Exam boost for pupils if pet dies

Exam hall

Critics say the system sends out the wrong message
A system giving students extra marks if they have suffered personal trauma is being defended by an exams authority.

GCSE and A-level pupils in England are given 5% more if a parent dies close to exam day or 4% for a distant relative.

They get 2% more if a pet dies or 1% if they get a headache. Critics say the system panders to an "excuse for everything" attitude.

But the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) says taking such events into consideration is "nothing new".

The guidelines are set out by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ), which represents England's three main exam authorities, including the AQA.

'Nothing new'

AQA public affairs manager Claire Ellis said the system was an attempt to quantify the sorts of circumstances which would merit special consideration and ensure consistency across the various exam boards.

She said: "The number of extra marks available are actually rather small, and in most cases they do not change the final grade.

"However, they are a way of compensating a candidate who has been genuinely adversely affected by a situation beyond their control."

She added: "The applications will still go through the schools and colleges, who will be close to the candidates and have knowledge of their home circumstances.

"And a degree of proof will still be required. For example, in the case of illness, which makes up 85% of special consideration applications, a GP's letter may be required."

Type of trauma and % added
Recent death of parent or close relative - 5%
Recent death of distant family member - 4%
Witness to distressing event on day of exam - 3%
Hay fever - 2%
Death of family pet on day of exam - 2%
Pet dies day before exam - 1%
Headache - 1% (enphasis mine)

'Deal with it'

However, the scheme has not gone down well with pressure group Campaign for Real Education.

Chairman Nick Seaton said: "This panders to the growing attitude in society that there is an excuse for everything.

"Youngsters should realise that bad things happen in life and it is important to deal with them.

"Of course, there are circumstances when a pupil might be particularly distressed and a teacher can scribble a note on the exam paper, as happened in the past.

"But formalising and quantifying excuses in this way sends out the wrong message."

you reading my email or what???!  get out of there!

yeah, I had one of those just last week.  gave my consolations, kept a straight face, told her to go home, get some rest, and come back to take the exam after she was finished brooding and mourning.  Actually, a better one was the student whose boyfriend committed suicide about two weeks ago.  I told her the same thing.  She actually brought in a photocopy of the Clarion-Ledger obituary page to make sure I didn't think she was bluffing.  Well, I suppose these things happen.  I sure hope my profs in grad school didn't cut me any slack when my mother died a slow painful death from emphysema.  I certainly wouldn't wish that death on anyone, not even my worst eneny, but I certainly want to think I earned every mark I got.  I'm reasonably sure that I did.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 07:30:29 PM »

So little Billy goes out and buys 10 goldfish.

And flushes one down a toilet each day he has an exam.

yeah, people will totally take advantage of that.  Look at me, I have a headache, oh, cool, now I just barely got an A.  Gimme a break.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 07:31:08 PM »

LOL
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 08:36:30 PM »

I have to say it's not as bad as what the US Postal Service exam was doing in the 80s and 90s.  If you were a female you got five points (out of 100) just for showing up.  If you were black you got five.  If you were a black female you got the full ten.  Seriously, as foolish and unfair as that English school plan is, we would be hypocritical to laugh at them, given our own history with this sort of mockery.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 04:59:36 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2005, 05:02:56 PM by Lunar »

It's time for Fluffy to hit the bucket right before exam day.  They might start getting suspicious about the constant pet death and headaches, but I'd give it a shot.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »

This is actually kind of cold if you think about it. Only 5%? I'd rather have a delay. A headache is worth half a pet? A headache is worth a fifth a parent? A distant relative is worth 80% of a parent?

Geez.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »

This is actually kind of cold if you think about it. Only 5%? I'd rather have a delay. A headache is worth half a pet? A headache is worth a fifth a parent? A distant relative is worth 80% of a parent?

Geez.

I trade you a parent for 2 pets and  3 headaches.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 05:55:28 PM »

I smell a country music song in there somewhere.

"My dawg died and my mama got cancer and I got 56 on my calculus exam..."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 06:19:25 PM »

I have to say it's not as bad as what the US Postal Service exam was doing in the 80s and 90s.  If you were a female you got five points (out of 100) just for showing up.  If you were black you got five.  If you were a black female you got the full ten.  Seriously, as foolish and unfair as that English school plan is, we would be hypocritical to laugh at them, given our own history with this sort of mockery.

Actually our own history is much more jam-packed with examples of the G.W. Bush method of getting good 'grades' - as in economic class and familial connections.  It is hilarious to me that we mock some poor black woman for getting a free pass into some miserable mundane lower-middle class blue collar job, but not the fact that our entire economic and political elite automatically gets a free pass into power, luxury, and position.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 07:07:01 PM »

I'll try to work in a line about white anglo-saxon protestant plutocrats from new england who like to wear cowboy hats always getting a free ride in ivy league universities into that song somehow.  just for you.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 09:44:50 PM »

With all the headaches I get, I'd be looking at a B+. Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 06:02:19 AM »

I'll try to work in a line about white anglo-saxon protestant plutocrats from new england who like to wear cowboy hats always getting a free ride in ivy league universities into that song somehow.  just for you.

Nothing so specific is necessary.  The statement all rich get a free pass is a lot more true than all black women get a free pass.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies