Abortion and parental consent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:52:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion and parental consent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should minors need parental consent to get an abortion (in situations where you think abortion should be legal)?
No, they should be allowed to get an abortion (in some or all situations) without consent, regardless of age.

Yes, in some cases (explain).

Yes, in all cases.

No, abortion should always be illegal (except if mother's life is at risk).

Other (explain).

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Abortion and parental consent  (Read 3480 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »

This is something I've been wondering about people's opinions on. I have a very strong opinion but I'll keep it to myself until there are responses.

If you think there should be exceptions to your usual rule on abortion (e.g. rape, incest, length of pregnancy, etc.) then vote based on the times you think abortions should be legal.

If this is confusing let me know.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »

There shouldn't be any restrictions on a woman's right to end her pregnancy, especially not this ageist nonsense.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »

There shouldn't be any restrictions on a woman's right to end her pregnancy, especially not this ageist nonsense.
This expresses my point much better, so yeah.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »

I wouldn't think very many people actually want this, given that laws such like this (and other frivolous restrictions on abortion) are simply attempts to get around Roe v. Wade.

No, obviously. Access to abortion should be unrestricted, free of charge, etc.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:38 PM »

I actually thought at first that persons below 18 should need parental consent, but if one is mature enough to have an abortion to create offspring and reproduce, they shouldn't need permission from others. They're their own person, so yeah I go with option 1. Even if it seems a bit extreme, its the freedom option.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »

Option 1 (sane)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »

This.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:44:38 AM »

A person old enough to have a child is old enough to make that decision by themselves.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2015, 12:06:48 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Even thinking that abortion should be restricted in some ways, parental consent is a really disingenuous and unfair way to do it.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »

Other.

I think a child being pregnant should have parental consent for getting or not getting a abortion, through if the parents decide the child should not having a abortion, the courts should always look into it and potential remove the parents custody temporary or permanent, if the court feel the child's life and future have been endangered. Of course I don't think a 17 year old or 16 year old is a child (through neither are they adults), and while I do think a 12 year old or a 13 year old is a child, I'm not sure where the age for parental consent on this issue should lie, somewhere between 13-16.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »

I think a child being pregnant should have parental consent for getting or not getting a abortion,

You're saying parents should be able to force their daughters to have an abortion? That's horrifying.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2015, 05:13:00 PM by ingemann »

I think a child being pregnant should have parental consent for getting or not getting a abortion,

You're saying parents should be able to force their daughters to have an abortion? That's horrifying.

Yes I think that parents should be able to force their 12 year daughter to have a abortion. A abortion are much less invasive than a pregnancy, let alone giving birth, especially for someone who isn't yet fully grown.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »

Yes, parental consent should be necessary if the girl is not 18 yet. However, if the girl's life is in danger, consent should not be necessary.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »

Yes I think that parents should be able to force their 12 year daughter to have a abortion. A abortion are much less invasive than a pregnancy, let alone giving birth, especially for someone who isn't yet fully grown.

Doesn't that kind of go against the idea of being, you know, pro-choice?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »

No, I support an absolute right to an abortion. If a girl is old enough to get pregnant then she owns her own body and I don't think that she should be forced to tell her possibly psychotic parents who might disown her. Also imagine if she was raped by her father?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »

Doesn't that kind of go against the idea of being, you know, pro-choice?

Pro-choice and pro-life are meaningless words adopted because they sound good, not because they have anything to do with reality, I could just as well say I'm pro-woman or pro-human, it would be rather meaningless, but it sounds good and allow me to take the moral highground, whether I inhabit it or not.

As for my belief about abortion I support 1st trimester abortion, think that 2nd trimester should be legal in some cases, and I see 3rd trimester abortion as murder, through if the child suffer from badly enough defects or the mother's life is in danger I support abortion in those cases.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

No, I support an absolute right to an abortion. If a girl is old enough to get pregnant then she owns her own body and I don't think that she should be forced to tell her possibly psychotic parents who might disown her. Also imagine if she was raped by her father?

Well I guess you think it's important that the child can get a abortion in secret, so that the father can keep abusing her without anybody discovering it. Because that's the consequences of this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »

Pro-choice and pro-life are meaningless words adopted because they sound good, not because they have anything to do with reality, I could just as well say I'm pro-woman or pro-human, it would be rather meaningless, but it sounds good and allow me to take the moral highground, whether I inhabit it or not.

Considering your horrible views, you most definitely do not.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

Option 1.  A girl should not die because her parents deny her an abortion, and rapist fathers certainly should have no say.  I think the rules should be the same regardless of age, and abortion should be legal in most cases.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

Option 3, unless the mother's life is at risk.

I would only allow abortion in cases of Rape, Incest, and life of the Mother. I would be O.K. with allowing them in cases of severe genetic disabilities on the part of the child, but such an exception wouldn't be in my ideal abortion ban bill.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

That's the problem with you, you're too afraid to get your hands dirty. I don't look at reality and try to fit it into my ideology, I look at reality and adapt my beliefs to it. But in the end the things you support lead to more people suffering, which you then blame on the people who told you how it would end up. But at least your hands are clean.

In this case I don't look at abortion as some kind of binary choice between wrong or right, I think it's a perfect example of a issue where both sides are right, and you have to make some ugly compromises to reach a point where suffering are minimised.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »

Abortion restrictions are annoying. Organisms don't matter unless they can feel emotion. For all I care, you can have abortions just for fun if you want.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:08 AM »

That's the problem with you, you're too afraid to get your hands dirty. I don't look at reality and try to fit it into my ideology, I look at reality and adapt my beliefs to it. But in the end the things you support lead to more people suffering, which you then blame on the people who told you how it would end up. But at least your hands are clean.

In this case I don't look at abortion as some kind of binary choice between wrong or right, I think it's a perfect example of a issue where both sides are right, and you have to make some ugly compromises to reach a point where suffering are minimised.

If I get called a stubborn unrealistic ideologue by Ingermann and a soulless wishy-washy moderate by TNF, that means I must be doing something right. Smiley

And if you actually think letting parents force their daughters to have an abortion against their own will will "minimize suffering", you clearly don't have a firm grasp on reality.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

Anyway, my position is Option 1, and if you don't agree with Option 1, you aren't really "pro-choice." I wish more states would get rid of their parental consent laws.

For those of you who voted for 2 and 3, I'd like to know your reasoning.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies