Abortion and parental consent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion and parental consent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should minors need parental consent to get an abortion (in situations where you think abortion should be legal)?
No, they should be allowed to get an abortion (in some or all situations) without consent, regardless of age.

Yes, in some cases (explain).

Yes, in all cases.

No, abortion should always be illegal (except if mother's life is at risk).

Other (explain).

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Abortion and parental consent  (Read 3465 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »

Why should a minor be allowed to get an abortion without parental consent but not be able to get married without it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »

Why should a minor be allowed to get an abortion without parental consent but not be able to get married without it?

Because the right to bodily autonomy is more fundamental than the right to marry.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »

Because the right to bodily autonomy is more fundamental than the right to marry.

This, and because not getting married doesn't have huge consequences the way not getting an abortion does.

That said, I don't really support the parental permission requirement for marriage either. I'd rather have a single minimum age for marriage (maybe 16-18 or so) since I don't really see how the parents' opinion is relevant to such a decision. Same with getting tattoos: either let them get tattoos, or don't.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

They shouldn't need parental permission for that either.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

Abortion violates every amendment to the constitution. The child doesn't get to experience any freedoms that this country proclaims to love.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 08:46:40 PM »

Abortion violates every amendment to the constitution. The child doesn't get to experience any freedoms that this country proclaims to love.

That is not how the Constitution works.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »

Abortion restrictions are annoying. Organisms don't matter unless they can feel emotion. For all I care, you can have abortions just for fun if you want.

OK, this is gross. Abortions are not 'fun'. People have horrifying experiences with abortions and are mentally traumatized with seeing baby parts being sucked up. Everybody should want less abortions, abortions should never be seen as a positive thing. They should be seen as 'justified' if necessary but not good.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »

Abortion restrictions are annoying. Organisms don't matter unless they can feel emotion. For all I care, you can have abortions just for fun if you want.

OK, this is gross. Abortions are not 'fun'. People have horrifying experiences with abortions and are mentally traumatized with seeing baby parts being sucked up. Everybody should want less abortions, abortions should never be seen as a positive thing. They should be seen as 'justified' if necessary but not good.

This. I mostly consider myself pro-choice because I believe Roe v. Wade should not be overturned, but we definitely need abortion reform.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 01:18:22 AM »

All abortion, except for the mother's life, should be illegal.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 03:05:35 AM »

I'm sorry but this idea of absolute individual autonomy and liberalism, is ridiculous, and in abortion, it has it's biggest problems, as liberals believe they can kill an unborn child, for the namesake of freedom and liberty.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »

That is not how the Constitution works.

Really? Because I learned that the constitution works to protect basic freedoms.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:54 PM »

No, it should be illegal (except for the exceptions yada yada), but parental consent would be a fair compromise, at least temporarily.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »

No, it should be illegal (except for the exceptions yada yada), but parental consent would be a fair compromise, at least temporarily.

Is it really? Either you conciser the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, which means parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable to kill it, or you don't, which mean's parental connect doesn't matter becasue it's morally acceptable anyway. How does this compromise make sense for either side?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 06:00:19 AM »

You've already placed the mother over the foetus in this scenario. So why only for the 'mothers life'; why not her mental wellbeing?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »

You've already placed the mother over the foetus in this scenario. So why only for the 'mothers life'; why not her mental wellbeing?

She can survive her mental well-being, she might not survive in that scenario, well that's my view anyway, don't know about Miles.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »

How is it a fair compromise? Neither side gets anything, beyond discrimination against younger woman.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »

Because in the first scenario, if the mother dies, so does the fetus.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 05:53:54 AM »

Because in the first scenario, if the mother dies, so does the fetus.

Not if the foetus is past the point of viability. In that case, if the mother requires treatment that will kill the viable foetus but if she doesn't get it she will die and the foetus can be delivered alive, if you've already made the moral decision that the mothers life is 'greater' than that of the foetus, then her wellbeing, psychological as well as physical, must matter.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 06:41:07 AM »

The "if you want" part is kind of relevant here.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 06:56:28 AM »

Ok, what do pro-choice people think, the thing developing in your stomach is? That thing is going to be a baby and to abort the child, is to kill the going to be alive child, you could have been aborted and you do not have chance to live, a human right. The fetus has a heart, has bodily organs, consumes food and can feel pain after 20 weeks. The baby has bodily features, so it is more than just a bunch of cells, abortion is the killing of an innocent child who has been deprived of the right to life.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »

Ok, what do pro-choice people think, the thing developing in your stomach is? That thing is going to be a baby and to abort the child, is to kill the going to be alive child, you could have been aborted and you do not have chance to live, a human right. The fetus has a heart, has bodily organs, consumes food and can feel pain after 20 weeks. The baby has bodily features, so it is more than just a bunch of cells, abortion is the killing of an innocent child who has been deprived of the right to life.

Yes, the thing developing inside a woman's uterus is a human (food goes in the stomach, baby goes in the uterus), but it should not have the same rights as people who have already been born until it can feel emotion (which actually happens after thalamocortical connections are created around 28 weeks into gestation, well into the third trimester). To argue that a fetus should have rights merely because it has the potential to do so is kind of absurd, as the same argument could be used to assert that all egg and sperm cells should be given the same rights as people because they have the potential.

Whether the fetus has "bodily features" is irrelevant; why should it not be?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »

Yes, well, so does a salmon.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »

Is it really? Either you conciser the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, which means parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable to kill it, or you don't, which mean's parental connect doesn't matter becasue it's morally acceptable anyway. How does this compromise make sense for either side?

I do consider the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, so you're right parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable, but I think this would lead to less abortions. I want to see more done on restricting abortion, but if I was a legislator and I had to vote on this bill I would support it because it probably would lead to less abortions, and I think less abortions is good.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »

Yes, I know, I'm trying to be a vegetarian.

Yes, well, so does a salmon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies