Romney's secret meeting. Will not seek re-election in 2006...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:47:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Romney's secret meeting. Will not seek re-election in 2006...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's secret meeting. Will not seek re-election in 2006...  (Read 1612 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:11:31 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2005, 07:15:13 PM by nickshepDEM »

From Bob Novak and The Chicago Sun Times

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in a recent secret Washington meeting with national political operatives signaled he probably will forgo seeking re-election in 2006 in order to pursue the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

Romney did not flatly reveal his future intentions, according to sources who were present. But he did say a presidential race would be difficult if he were concentrating on a 2006 campaign for governor and were still in that office in 2007-08.

The early evening meeting was held at the Caucus Room, a Washington restaurant popular with politicians and lobbyists. It was put together by Ron Kaufman, longtime Massachusetts member of the Republican National Committee and an intimate adviser of the senior George Bush. Political operatives attending were not committed to a possible Romney candidacy, but were asked to participate in a private discussion of the political climate.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 03:10:48 PM »

excuse me while i make chicken noises...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »

I was thinking he'd run for re-election in 2006, lose, and then blame it all on liberal Massachusetts, and try to use that to win the 2008 Republican nomination.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »

I was thinking he'd run for re-election in 2006, lose, and then blame it all on liberal Massachusetts, and try to use that to win the 2008 Republican nomination.

well ive always thought of mitt romeny as the republican's version of john edwardss...in other words...an empty suit.

it looks like ol mitt is going to pull the same stunt that edwards pulled in 04.

but we all know edwards would have won if he would have stood for reelection (wink, wink).
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:06:26 PM »

That was what I was thinking he would do too.  Genious strategy actually.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:19:47 AM »

I really dislike Romney, and I hope his attempt to get the Republican nomination fails soundly.  This is not because I, as a Democrat, fear his potential as nominee; I just want to see him fall flat on his face, loudly and quickly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:32 AM »

I really dislike Romney, and I hope his attempt to get the Republican nomination fails soundly.  This is not because I, as a Democrat, fear his potential as nominee; I just want to see him fall flat on his face, loudly and quickly.

^^^
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:14:22 AM »

well ive always thought of mitt romeny as the republican's version of john edwardss...in other words...an empty suit.

it looks like ol mitt is going to pull the same stunt that edwards pulled in 04.

but we all know edwards would have won if he would have stood for reelection (wink, wink).

Excellent analysis!  Romney might be able to win re-election, however, but as a presidential candidate, he doesn't send shockwaves though the electorate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:48:19 PM »

Don't you worry, he will.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies