WV-Orion Strategies: Generic Republican leads Clinton by 32 points (!) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:52:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WV-Orion Strategies: Generic Republican leads Clinton by 32 points (!) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV-Orion Strategies: Generic Republican leads Clinton by 32 points (!)  (Read 4917 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:45 PM »

As a Democrat, I would rather have Virginia than West Virginia on my side.

WV -- aging population, unattractive economic conditions, dying industries, and most likely a shrinking population.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »

There are still militant unionists in West Virginia -- but the coal barons have been successful in breaking unions and the heritage of militant unions hostile to the GOP.

Want a job in West Virginia? Stay clear of a labor union. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for WV to become internally GOP like the rural South. Union influence might be the only thing actually stopping it as of now. Anyway, I believe a margin like that. What started to flip WV, I think, was the culture wars stuff in the '90s. From what I know of it in the late '90s, people felt very, very threatened by the kind of social progress that loomed on the horizon. It's also so economically disadvantaged and people are largely so low-information that they are vulnerable to corporate propaganda.

West Virginia, long one of the most reliable D states, really turned on George McGovern in 1972... going R+2 that year. George McGovern was a horrible match for West Virginia -- and Barack Obama is about the same. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies