Which city is going to serve as capital city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Which city is going to serve as capital city?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which city is going to serve as capital city?  (Read 1330 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

As it appears, a few buildings and offices are located in La Paz (Infrastructure ministry, National Library...). Does this mean we can count that as de-facto capital? Or do we want another city to fulfill that role (I wouldn't mind Buenos Aires)? Certainly not the most important question to answer, but maybe something to think about?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 12:02:21 PM by oakvale »

I believe the capital has been determined as Cochabamba - I have as much in the constitution act that's due to be introduced this evening. I'd assume this is based on the proposal for a South American parliament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_American_Parliament).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »

Are we being banished to the rural hinterland?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

Well different institutions can be located in separate cities (just look at South Africa! Wink).  But just as a thought, the official capital could be where the Parliament meets, but there are obviously many other government departments, organizations, etc, that can meet all over this great continent.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »

I'd rather reject some quite unknown city in, to use Mr. Simfan's words, the "rural hinterland". Given there is quite a number of better known, still quite centrally-lying, bigger and maybe also more historic cities - Bogota, Caracas, Quito, Lima, La Paz, Santiago, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Ascension, Montevideo; to name just a few.

I'd far more prefer La Paz or Buenos Aires; Rio de Janeiro being quite interesting as well.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

I'd rather reject some quite unknown city in, to use Mr. Simfan's words, the "rural hinterland". Given there is quite a number of better known, still quite centrally-lying, bigger and maybe also more historic cities - Bogota, Caracas, Quito, Lima, La Paz, Santiago, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Ascension, Montevideo; to name just a few.

I'd far more prefer La Paz or Buenos Aires; Rio de Janeiro being quite interesting as well.

Well I wasn't really giving a preference for any place in particular, but just pointing out that we can spread out around the place. Wink
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »

Well I wasn't really giving a preference for any place in particular, but just pointing out that we can spread out around the place. Wink

Oh, spreading out a bit is fine for me, still, the city housing the parliament and the presidential palace will eventually be the de-facto capital.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 12:59:43 PM by Simfan34 »

I like La Paz or Lima. The multiple capital arrangement is quite expensive for South Africa as well as the EU, and both have made efforts to get rid of them. Spanning a continent would only be even worse. I'd honestly prefer to not be consigned to some backwater, even if it's only pretend.

But if we can build a nice new government quarter at Coochawhatever, and throw in some decent cultural venues and restaurants I think I can survive. Just don't get Zaha Hadid to do it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »

The Foreign Office is based in Santiago de Chile (on a temporary basis); significant infrastructure improvements, including the addition of international flights, will be necessary to make Cochabamba a sufficient capital city.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »

The capital is Cochabamba, as determined by a number of previous treaties.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

Treaties? What treaties?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »

But if we can build a nice new government quarter at Coochawhatever, and throw in some decent cultural venues and restaurants I think I can survive. Just don't get Zaha Hadid to do it.

Oh yes, this Cochabamba town definitely would need some improvements; I don't really get your dislike for Zaha Hadid however?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »

One Zaha Hadid building may be nice. An entire city, on the other hand, would almost certainly be utterly unbearable.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »

One Zaha Hadid building may be nice. An entire city, on the other hand, would almost certainly be utterly unbearable.

You do have a point with that. If we keep her far off parliament and the presidential palace, but rather some ministry or some cultural venue (Museo Nacional del Arte Moderno?), that should be fine, though.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »

Institutions should be located in different cities; perhaps with the Parliament in Cochabamba.

Also Medellín is an awesome city and it definitely needs something.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 03:42:08 PM by Simfan34 »

Institutions should be located in different cities; perhaps with the Parliament in Cochabamba.

Also Medellín is an awesome city and it definitely needs something.

No. This is costly and time consuming. Just ask the European Parliament.

You do have a point with that. If we keep her far off parliament and the presidential palace, but rather some ministry or some cultural venue (Museo Nacional del Arte Moderno?), that should be fine, though.

Sure. I'm all for pilasters, pediments, and domes, boulevards, pedestrian paths, and dense cities. I will be fighting the corner of New Urbanism, transit, and traditionalism. Neo Herrerian or Spanish Baroque, anyone?

I'll compromise on the architecture if I must  (I'll still oppose everything being in glass and steel), but the urban model is unegotiable.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »

Sure. I'm all for pilasters, pediments, and domes, boulevards, pedestrian paths, and dense cities. I will be fighting the corner of New Urbanism, transit, and traditionalism. Neo Herrerian or Spanish Baroque, anyone?

I'll compromise on the architecture if I must  (I'll still oppose everything being in glass and steel), but the urban model is unegotiable.

I could see some (not too much obviously) neo-classicism, or even neo-gothicism if we want to be especially bold, thrown in; broad boulevards and pederstrain paths are a must have. I don't know if this is of your taste, but some sort of greenland / extensive park area in and around government buildings, with some canals and/or other river ways thrown in - think the area surrounding the Reichstag and the Bundeskanzleramt in Berlin?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »

I am absolutely all for green space of all kinds and water, and canals where viable. Ideally they could also serve practical purposes as channels for storm overflow. We will have to study the geography and climate of the city to determine what is practical.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »

The grounds of the Bundestag, when I visited them, were beautiful in my opinion.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »

I am absolutely all for green space of all kinds and water, and canals where viable. Ideally they could also serve practical purposes as channels for storm overflow. We will have to study the geography and climate of the city to determine what is practical.

Yes indeed, and since we are operating on a living city, we will always have to follow the highest precept of intervening with the least impacts to get the maximum effects.

The grounds of the Bundestag, when I visited them, were beautiful in my opinion.

They are gorgeous, aren't they?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 04:28:13 PM by Simfan34 »

Yes. We must strive to be compact, but at the same time, we must provide for a comfortable, lively, and dignified, capital. Working with an existing city, we can add transport, incentivise and facilitate upzoning and densification, increase walkability, add parks, and provide for a government zone. I would take one section of the city, put in the necessary facilities, and work around those, rather than append a new zone in the city's periphery.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »

Lima would be great.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 02:42:09 AM »

Yes. We must strive to be compact, but at the same time, we must provide for a comfortable, lively, and dignified, capital. Working with an existing city, we can add transport, incentivise and facilitate upzoning and densification, increase walkability, add parks, and provide for a government zone. I would take one section of the city, put in the necessary facilities, and work around those, rather than append a new zone in the city's periphery.

Yes indeed, building in the centre of the city would make far more sense than creating something from the scratch out in the periphery.

Enhancing public transport is also a very prudent measure - we could work with all kinds of subways, rails, trams, (e)-busses - our creativity shall only be limited by the technically possible.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »

The Vrije Alliantie suggests having a decentralized presidency, along the lines of our constituent republic of Bolivia or South Africa.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »

The Vrije Alliantie suggests having a decentralized presidency, along the lines of our constituent republic of Bolivia or South Africa.

I could get on board with the Bolivian model - the capital somewhere like Cochabamba, but with government functions largely occurring somewhere like Buenos Aires.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies