Will Trump win the GOP nomination in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump win the GOP nomination in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Trump win the GOP nomination in 2016?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Will Trump win the GOP nomination in 2016?  (Read 6072 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »

If you had to guess now: Will Trump win the GOP nomination in 2016?
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »

No, Trump will not become the nominee. So far, the only candidates I can imagine getting nominated are Jeb Bush or John Kasich.
bobloblaw
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »

No, Trump will not become the nominee. So far, the only candidates I can imagine getting nominated are Jeb Bush or John Kasich.

Jeb has less chance than Trump. GOP primary voters are in no mood to nominate a Bush
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »

Hopefully.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »

Jeb has less chance than Trump. GOP primary voters are in no mood to nominate a Bush

Never say never! Why, because Jeb can easily rally conservatives who admire both his father and older brother as former presidents. The only problem is if the voting base doesn't care and ignores anything Jeb throws at them.
bobloblaw
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »

Never say never! Why, because Jeb can easily rally conservatives who admire both his father and older brother as former presidents. The only problem is if the voting base doesn't care and ignores anything Jeb throws at them.

There are NO conservatives who admire his brother and father.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »

The GOP Establishment will pull out all the stops to deny Trump the nomination, and they will succeed.  In the process, they will look anti-democratic, heavy-handed, and dismissive of the voters.  They will cause some preciously vital constituencies in the middle of the spectrum to think that maybe, just maybe, Al Gore got jobbed after all, and it will effect their perception of the GOP brand.

It is never a good thing when you have to take down your intra-party adversary in full view of the voters, but Trump is going to insist on it, because he won't go quietly.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:44 PM »

I would have to respectfully disagree. Namely my parents identify as conservatives and they admire the Bushes greatly. Of course everyone has different opinions, but what I was hinting at earlier was that Jeb's campaign can promote that he would be just as successful as both his father and brother, which will influence Bush supporters who still have a lot of respect for the Bushes.   
bobloblaw
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »

I would have to respectfully disagree. Namely my parents identify as conservatives and they admire the Bushes greatly. Of course everyone has different opinions, but what I was hinting at earlier was that Jeb's campaign can promote that he would be just as successful as both his father and brother, which will influence Bush supporters who still have a lot of respect for the Bushes.   

"" Jeb's campaign can promote that he would be just as successful as both his father and brother""

at what?Huh? turning the country over to the Dems?
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »

"" Jeb's campaign can promote that he would be just as successful as both his father and brother""

I have to admit that was funny. No, what I mean is "nostalgia". Like how Jeb can present the presidencies of his both his father and brother as happy and successful teams. voters who support the Bushes will eat that up because of how unpopular President Obama is with them.

Hopefully this makes sense. 
bobloblaw
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »

I have to admit that was funny. No, what I mean is "nostalgia". Like how Jeb can present the presidencies of his both his father and brother as happy and successful teams. voters who support the Bushes will eat that up because of how unpopular President Obama is with them.

no it doesnt
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:53 PM »

no it doesnt

Just imagine that, regardless if you're a hard line Bush supporter or simply like the Bush presidencies, you could be influenced by program by the Jeb campaign where he tries to get support from conservatives who have either respect for the former Bushes or see him as a better alternative because he can use nostalgia to attract voters.

Forgive me if this sounds confusing. I'm never good at explaining my views and opinions. Basically what I'm trying to say is that Jeb can run a successful campaign which he can attract voters who would like to see another Bush presidency than a Clinton's or Obama's. 
bobloblaw
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »

no it doesnt

Just imagine that, regardless if you're a hard line Bush supporter or simply like the Bush presidencies, you could be influenced by program by the Jeb campaign where he tries to get support from conservatives who have either respect for the former Bushes or see him as a better alternative because he can use nostalgia to attract voters.

Forgive me if this sounds confusing. I'm never good at explaining my views and opinions. Basically what I'm trying to say is that Jeb can run a successful campaign which he can attract voters who would like to see another Bush presidency than a Clinton's or Obama's. 

NO ONE WANTS TO SEE ANOTHER BUSH PRESIDENCY
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

Trump will be the nominee.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »

Maybe some people out there do. Just saying.
bobloblaw
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »

Maybe some people out there do. Just saying.

not enough to matter. And certainly not enough in the general election
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »

Nope, I still think it will be Jeb.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

Trump will not be the nominee, but neither will Bush.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »

I voted yes, but it's too early to tell.

I don't think that the GOP Establishment will deny Trump an otherwise won nomination. That would be suicidal.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 11:36:28 PM »

Radically different perception here than AAD. I don't think thats wishful thinking on their part either. Trump is dominating and is the obvious frontrunner. Carson scares me a little as does Rubio, but I think Trump pulls it out for the moment. We have a ton of debates to go though. It feels as if Iowa is just a month or two away, but it's not. Anything can happen and dynamics will change. No one predicted Trump-mentum.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »

That would be telling, and I am not telling.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »

The GOP Establishment will pull out all the stops to deny Trump the nomination, and they will succeed.

You do have a point, cause even Trump has lately said that he at best has a 20-30% chance of suceeding in his quest, and that while being up at least 3-1 against everyone else. Tongue If not even the greatest narcisist in the entire world does believe in himself, then there must be something seriously wrong. Tongue
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:16 AM »

No to Bush, don't need a 3rd Bush in office.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 05:01:01 AM »

It appears Donald Trump's main competition in the top tier is Ben Carson, so obviously yes.

All other candidates will continue to fail to gain traction.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 06:26:21 AM »

The GOP Establishment will pull out all the stops to deny Trump the nomination, and they will succeed.

You do have a point, cause even Trump has lately said that he at best has a 20-30% chance of suceeding in his quest, and that while being up at least 3-1 against everyone else. Tongue If not even the greatest narcisist in the entire world does believe in himself, then there must be something seriously wrong. Tongue

I do not believe that Trump would be a weaker GE candidate than any of the others, by and large.  I think that this is the perception, however, and the GOP Establishment is going to ram home to all its elected officials of how this could cost them their seat, cost the GOP the Senate, cost them their Governorship, their state legislative majorities, etc.  This appeal could work to many, because Trump really hasn't broken through in GE polling yet. 

I am predicting that there will be intense pressure for the GOP candidates to support Bush, the Establishment fave.  The arguments will be compelling, as they will be INSIDER arguments.  In return, I believe that there will be something for everyone.  I would expect Ted Cruz to be the VP candidate.  I would expect Marco Rubio to drop his Presidential run and go back to running for re-election in FL, after being offered a high place in the GOP Senate leadership.  (I would predict that Rubio would become Senate Majority Whip, replacing John Cornyn, whom Bush would appoint Attorney General if elected.)  I would also predict that high-profile appointments will be offered to Rubio and Walker.  The rest of these folks will be dismissed, and will go quietly, perhaps after being offered Ambassadorships.  There will be something for everyone, even for Rand Paul, who also may be elevated in stature in the Senate. 

The Bush-Cruz ticket will be an awkward ticket, but it's gonna happen, because Trump represents a transformation of the GOP that the Establishment is unalterably opposed to.  Such a transformation goes to the heart of Establishment power, and the Establishment wants to keep the power they've attained.  If Trump becomes President, he'll be running the party show like no other President in modern history; he'll be a national Dick Daley.  For the Bushes, the Haley Barbours, the Mitch McConnells, that would never do.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies