Opinion of Senate Bill 350 (Californian attempt to cut emissions from vehicles)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:34:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Senate Bill 350 (Californian attempt to cut emissions from vehicles)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: RIP 350
FB

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of Senate Bill 350 (Californian attempt to cut emissions from vehicles)  (Read 1616 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »

I'll find a better link, but it is the just-folded attempt to cut petrol use by 50% in the state of such auto-intensive cities as LA. Major opposition from the oil industry as you might expect, and its defeat is a stunning blow to Gov Jerry Brown.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »

You know how some people say that government shouldn't be in the bedroom? Yeah, I don't think it should be in your vehicle either.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:55:54 PM »

Seems like a decent idea, though I admittidly don't know much about it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

You know how some people say that government shouldn't be in the bedroom? Yeah, I don't think it should be in your vehicle either.

K. Was ideally looking for non-stupid responses, but eh.

Anyway here's a a WSJ write-up http://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-climate-change-push-heats-up-1441389723

Personally, I am in favour, but with some caveats. The most important thing to do with this sort of bill is ensure the burden does not fall on low-income families (juan sixpack) that cannot afford the capital needed to grab a fancy new Prius or those new Tesla machines. That's why you need effective clunker buyback schemes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »

The bill isn't defeated I don't think, but the gasoline reduction part is.

In either case, the bill just sets a feel good target and escapes having to face the hard choices of any specific policy proposals by giving the California Air Resources Board the authority to enact whatever they believe is necessary to achieve them.   So on that basis I would oppose it.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

I'm an environmentalist until it comes to cars. Keep government off my ride.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »

You know liberals being pre-freedom is long gone.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »

Positive overall. I generally prefer public transit as a means of transportation to automobiles, and cars on the road ought to have strict efficiency standards. If a model fails to meet the necessary requirements to reduce carbon emissions, there is no reason for it to be on the road.

Being in favor of the 'freedom' to pollute is inane.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »

FB inherently

The people have the right to good air at any cost. And if it takes the government calling out the "free-market" here and there, and "invading" your vehicle. So be it

Better that than allowing the invasion of your air by oil barons who only seek profit.

That said, Crabby's points are valid ones I agree with.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »

Positive overall. I generally prefer public transit as a means of transportation to automobiles, and cars on the road ought to have strict efficiency standards. If a model fails to meet the necessary requirements to reduce carbon emissions, there is no reason for it to be on the road.

Being in favor of the 'freedom' to pollute is inane.

Exactly, and freedom isn't absolute anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »

FB (not a dumbass)

Roll Eyes

I'm an environmentalist until it comes to cars. Keep government off my ride.

Then you're not an environmentalist.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

I know, I just like being consistent. I know laws limiting sex and birth control aren't effective and are statist in nature. And while laws limiting fuel emissions may be more effective in enforcement (but will have a very negligible impact on the global environment), they are still statist in nature.

But I'm a idiot because people said so, so my view should be ignored.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »

Halving auto pollution could save more Californians every year than the total number of people who died in the 9/11 attacks.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://qz.com/135509/more-americans-die-from-car-pollution-than-car-accidents/
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

Huh? Emissions from vehicles are very good at killing people. Many more people die from health effects of particulate emissions from road vehicles than from accidents (don't know US figures, in Sweden it is about 1,300 people vs 300 people per year according to a presentation I listened to today).
It is an obvious example of someone's freedom being at the cost of someone else's freedom.
It is also an example of where you need legislation for something to happen.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 05:02:55 PM »

I know, I just like being consistent. I know laws limiting sex and birth control aren't effective and are statist in nature. And while laws limiting fuel emissions may be more effective in enforcement (but will have a very negligible impact on the global environment), they are still statist in nature.

Not saying you're an idiot, just that your response was kind of inane and buzzwordy. Like when leftists respond to any problem with "damn neoliberal!!!" or something.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:07 AM »

The bill isn't defeated I don't think, but the gasoline reduction part is.

Yeah, it's probably about to pass minus the oil reduction provision: http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-climate-vote-assembly-pc-20150911-story.html

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

So you oppose any action taken by the state, regardless of circumstances, in order to be "consistent?"
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »

Another liberal policy that hurts the working class. HP.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »

Halving auto pollution could save more Californians every year than the total number of people who died in the 9/11 attacks.

http://qz.com/135509/more-americans-die-from-car-pollution-than-car-accidents/
While I have no opinion of the bill (haven't looked into it yet, no good links in this thread, not sure I care enough to go find out more), dying prematurely from emissions and dying in a car accident are two very different ways to go.  People that die in car accidents lose a LOT more of their life than the people that die early because of pollution.  That's not to say cutting pollution is dumb, we should do a lot more towards that.  (again, not sure if this bill does that or not)  I'm just saying those numbers don't tell the full story.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this particular bill because this is the first I've heard of it.

However, comparing homophobia to trying to save the world from utter destruction is horrifying, disgusting, and insulting to LGBT people as well as future generations (including the "unborn children" that so many right wingers pretend to care about).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies