"The Coddling of the American Mind."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:41:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "The Coddling of the American Mind."
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Coddling of the American Mind."  (Read 1202 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »

I thought this was a good read. So much more of it is worth reading than any excerpts I'd be allowed to provide (of which there are loads), so I really encourage reading and thinking about it. The following excerpt is more of the premise behind the essay. It's an interesting angle on the usual "anti-political correctness" stuff.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »

This is an utterly fascinating article, particularly the tidbit about how trigger warnings are actually harmful toward those with PTSD and those with certain fears in that it reinforces said fears by encouraging avoidance of them.

Haidt is also spot on about how taking offense often stifles debate and obstructs critical thinking as a whole. What I find most absurd and perhaps the most legitimately damaging aspect of extremely PC sentiments and trigger warnings is that they're not exactly prevalent or even easy to find outside of college campuses, so the overly offended attitude "coddled" in college will be crushed when someone actually has to address a controversial issue that they may find uncomfortable or offensive.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:03:30 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 11:07:38 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122543/trigger-warning-myth

I read this article and found it more than a bit disturbing that the author likened attempts to reduce racism to attempts to institute campus trigger warnings, which made him seem quite disingenuous. After all, anti-racism bears little relation to concerns about trigger warnings, it has been a part of campus politics since the 60s. Sure enough, I discovered that Lukianoff is the head of FIRE, which embraces a very classical liberal conception of "liberty", which has little room for diversity or tolerance.

This is a very intellectually dishonest article written by a man who has no real understanding of psychology or the role of education. It's a polemical piece and should be treated as such.

Note: I'm opposed to mandating trigger warnings, which should be a matter of individual discretion depending on how comfortable a professor might be about playing "armchair psychologist". I'm not opposed to "political correctness" if that means censuring someone's ability to express racist sentiments in the classroom, either through an expression of disapproval or through something more formal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies