Poll: Guy Who Asked Trump Muslim Question Leads G.O.P. Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Poll: Guy Who Asked Trump Muslim Question Leads G.O.P. Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poll: Guy Who Asked Trump Muslim Question Leads G.O.P. Race  (Read 1084 times)
weixiaobao
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/poll-guy-who-asked-trump-muslim-question-leads-g-o-p-race

The Republicans are a joke.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:34:56 PM »

While I respect this man for asking the tough questions, I question his competence for not being able to solve it himself so I will be sticking with Trump for the moment while I monitor the situation.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »

I hope you didn't take Andy Borowitz seriously.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:56:08 PM »

And so was that article.
weixiaobao
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »

Funny satire, I may add.

But GOP are jokes.  Trump supporters almost turn on Trump over his Syrian comment.  But applaud Trump for doubling down on this issues.  Which is smart in term of Trump's strategy (something I respect).

But that is what all the candidates are learning about their base, their base is way way way way way way too extreme.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »

It's time for me to go on a rant about my own party.

When I turned 18, I joined the Republican Party out of a belief that free markets work best. In history, when we tax less, regulate less, and allow people to pursue their own happiness free of the hands of big government, we do best as a nation. I am a firm believer in lower taxes, balanced budget, fiscal responsibility, a safety net that doesn't lead to a welfare state, free trade, less rules & regulations, and state's rights. I also believe that while the United States should have a strong military, strong human intelligence capabilities, and a leadership position in the world, we are not the world's policeman, though we must be a force for good. I apply these values and principles to specific policy areas.

When Barack Obama ran for President in 2008, I saw someone who didn't share my values. Barack Obama believes in bigger government, more rules & regulations, a larger federal government, and an American foreign policy based on the idea that we shouldn't be a leader in the world because we have exerted our influence too often. I have questioned the President's judgement, his record, and his policies. I have even questioned his honesty. But I have never questioned his birthplace, and I have always been grateful that our country looked past a person's skin color in electing a President, and no I didn't vote for him but that was 100% based on policy.

The Republican Party's reaction to Barack Obama's election and re-election have given me great pause. When the tea party started, I felt that they were on the same page as me - they were for fiscal responsibility and free markets. But as 2009 became 2010 and primaries began taking place, I became skeptical of the tea party. What started as a movement against the health care law and the stimulus now became an ideological litmus test for the GOP. What I began to see by the summer of 2010 was angry people. Look, I have been angry at the policies coming from Washington, but I have never been angry at America - the folks in the tea party believe that our best days are behind us, I disagree. My reaction to Obama's election was to oppose any bad policies he'd propose, it wasn't to question where he was born.

Unfortunately, the rise of Donald Trump and this episode have given me the opportunity to look at the party I am active in. I believe in the principles held by most Republicans. But when roughly 30% of Republicans nationally support either Donald Trump or Ted Cruz, who I believe to be extremely damaging to the brand, something is wrong. The folks supporting Trump and Cruz are angry, and they are completely ignorant not only of public policy, but of how most Americans feel. They blame free trade for their economic problems, immigrants for everything, and they believe we have a muslim President, that isn't the case. They believe that the government should control nothing except morals. I am for freedom and for economic growth. I believe that immigrants contribute to economic growth and we should have a legal immigration system that reflects that reality. I believe it is fiscally irresponsible to deport 11-20 million illegals, let's have a pathway to citizenship and a guest worker program because in reality, there are many jobs folks from South America will do that those from the U.S. won't. But many in the GOP, though not a majority in polling, would believe my approach is amnesty, they are immature and lack an understanding of the issue. Secondly, the GOP is on the wrong side of the marriage debate - let's stop discriminating against same-sex couples. The Republican Party and the Libertarians are fighting for the values that made this country great, my hope is that a minority of  Republicans hijacking the party and supporting Mr. Trump and Mr. Cruz don't succeed because if they do, the Democrats will win and our country will face continued economic stagnation.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:32 AM »

Great post, dudeabides.  You are a credit to your party.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:39:36 AM »

Andy Borowitz is terrible and deserves to be in physical pain for his crimes against humor and political commentary.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 03:27:38 AM »

When I turned 18, I joined the Republican Party out of a belief that free markets work best. In history, when we tax less, regulate less, and allow people to pursue their own happiness free of the hands of big government, we do best as a nation. I am a firm believer in lower taxes, balanced budget, fiscal responsibility, a safety net that doesn't lead to a welfare state, free trade, less rules & regulations, and state's rights. I also believe that while the United States should have a strong military, strong human intelligence capabilities, and a leadership position in the world, we are not the world's policeman, though we must be a force for good. I apply these values and principles to specific policy areas.

When Barack Obama ran for President in 2008, I saw someone who didn't share my values. Barack Obama believes in bigger government, more rules & regulations, a larger federal government, and an American foreign policy based on the idea that we shouldn't be a leader in the world because we have exerted our influence too often. I have questioned the President's judgement, his record, and his policies. I have even questioned his honesty. But I have never questioned his birthplace, and I have always been grateful that our country looked past a person's skin color in electing a President, and no I didn't vote for him but that was 100% based on policy.

The Republican Party's reaction to Barack Obama's election and re-election have given me great pause. When the tea party started, I felt that they were on the same page as me - they were for fiscal responsibility and free markets. But as 2009 became 2010 and primaries began taking place, I became skeptical of the tea party. What started as a movement against the health care law and the stimulus now became an ideological litmus test for the GOP. What I began to see by the summer of 2010 was angry people. Look, I have been angry at the policies coming from Washington, but I have never been angry at America - the folks in the tea party believe that our best days are behind us, I disagree. My reaction to Obama's election was to oppose any bad policies he'd propose, it wasn't to question where he was born.

Unfortunately, the rise of Donald Trump and this episode have given me the opportunity to look at the party I am active in. I believe in the principles held by most Republicans. But when roughly 30% of Republicans nationally support either Donald Trump or Ted Cruz, who I believe to be extremely damaging to the brand, something is wrong. The folks supporting Trump and Cruz are angry, and they are completely ignorant not only of public policy, but of how most Americans feel. They blame free trade for their economic problems, immigrants for everything, and they believe we have a muslim President, that isn't the case. They believe that the government should control nothing except morals. I am for freedom and for economic growth. I believe that immigrants contribute to economic growth and we should have a legal immigration system that reflects that reality. I believe it is fiscally irresponsible to deport 11-20 million illegals, let's have a pathway to citizenship and a guest worker program because in reality, there are many jobs folks from South America will do that those from the U.S. won't. But many in the GOP, though not a majority in polling, would believe my approach is amnesty, they are immature and lack an understanding of the issue. Secondly, the GOP is on the wrong side of the marriage debate - let's stop discriminating against same-sex couples. The Republican Party and the Libertarians are fighting for the values that made this country great, my hope is that a minority of  Republicans hijacking the party and supporting Mr. Trump and Mr. Cruz don't succeed because if they do, the Democrats will win and our country will face continued economic stagnation.
Good post. You sound like you belong to one of the center-right European parties, like Angela Merkels CDU in Germany. But you really don't belong in the Republican party anno 2015.

However, I think that you should start questioning one of your core beliefs:

"In history, when we tax less, regulate less, and allow people to pursue their own happiness free of the hands of big government, we do best as a nation."

The thing is, that taxation and regulation really isn't the antithesis to personal freedom - infact, if used correctly it can be the exact opposite: the enabler of true personal freedom. Regulation isn't an inherent evil. Regulation of the free markets, which I support, enables more equality, higher levels of trust and happiness, less crime, diminishes the power of financial interests, etc. The Scandinavian countries are arguably the countries in the world with the highest degree of personal freedom, while also being the countries with the highest taxes and toughest regulations of the free markets.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »

Good post. You sound like you belong to one of the center-right European parties, like Angela Merkels CDU in Germany. But you really don't belong in the Republican party anno 2015.

However, I think that you should start questioning one of your core beliefs:

"In history, when we tax less, regulate less, and allow people to pursue their own happiness free of the hands of big government, we do best as a nation."

The thing is, that taxation and regulation really isn't the antithesis to personal freedom - infact, if used correctly it can be the exact opposite: the enabler of true personal freedom. Regulation isn't an inherent evil. Regulation of the free markets, which I support, enables more equality, higher levels of trust and happiness, less crime, diminishes the power of financial interests, etc. The Scandinavian countries are arguably the countries in the world with the highest degree of personal freedom, while also being the countries with the highest taxes and toughest regulations of the free markets.

I don't oppose all regulation and forms of taxation, we need taxes to pay for the military, support our veterans, and have a safety net. My issue is with excessive taxation which we have today, as well as a tax code that benefits special interests and not many businesses and families. We need comprehensive tax reform - be it a fair tax, a flat tax, or simply lower tax rates and ending loopholes and limiting deductions - in the 1920s and 1980s when we cut taxes, we saw an increase in jobs created. States across this country have seen the same thing. As for regulations, I think there should be a minimal number but today, our federal government regulates dust, light bulbs, and fuel efficiency standards that the market already was regulating. I absolutely support having an FDA and support the rights of consumers, but I don't support the onerous regulatory state we have today; President Obama has added $80 billion worth of economic rules and regulations in 6 years, President Bush added about $30 billion in the same time period.

So why don't you become a Democrat? The Democrats are the fun and "cool" party. You want to have fun and be cool, right? You're in college so you don't really care about "free markets" or "regulations" or things like that. You may think you do, but deep down you actually don't. Also, you were mentioning you were having difficulty finding girls to date. Honestly, that's because you're a Republican. No girl in the college age-group wants to hear about free markets and Jeb Bush. So you should change your avatar to red (deep down you know Obama has been a good president) and you can join the Republican when you're a stuffy old man.

I think I have made it quite clear why I identify as a Republican. I believe in the core values of the party, I am a conservative. I do believe in free markets, you only know me as a poster on here, but I fight for candidates who believe in free markets and I'm not talking about Jeb Bush, I mean I'm active on campaigns and try to be active in policy causes as well. Support for free market economics is a part of who I am.

Secondly, you are judging me based on nothing. I don't care about being cool, most would consider me a bit of a nerd. I don't drink much, I certainly don't party a lot, I think you are being unfair in your assessment of me. Also, Barack Obama has been a completely incompetent President, he's dishonest and his policies have failed. But I'm not going to question his religion or what kind of family man he is.

Great post, dudeabides.  You are a credit to your party.

Thank you for your kind words. 
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »

The current GOP is the most disloyal opposition of any I can think of.  Truthfully, if the Democrats filibuster every nominee of any GOP President elected in 2016, the GOP will not have much of a defense.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »

Andy Borowitz is terrible and deserves to be in physical pain for his crimes against humor and political commentary.
The New Yorker as a whole is awful.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:14 PM »

The current GOP is the most disloyal opposition of any I can think of.  Truthfully, if the Democrats filibuster every nominee of any GOP President elected in 2016, the GOP will not have much of a defense.

First of all, the reason Obama's nominees have been filibustered is because they have either been corrupt, incompetent, or radical.

Secondly, let me tell you about who is actually disloyal. The person you support for President is disloyal to our veterans, he said POWs and MIAs are not heroic. The person you support for President believes we should end free trade, costing American workers jobs and money. The person you support for President believes that we should have mass deportations, he would have to violate the right's of legal immigrants during such a process. The person you are supporting for President believes the federal government should fund planned parenthood, he is disloyal to the human race. Finally, when did John Boehner, Mitch McConell, Kevin McCarthy, John Cornyn, or any sane Republican question where our President was born? Mr. Trump sent investigators into Hawaii to try and prove he was born outside the U.S. If anybody is a traitor to this country, and disloyal to our President, it is Donald Trump, not the Republicans.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies