Partisan selection of delegates for Constitutional Convention.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Partisan selection of delegates for Constitutional Convention.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Partisan selection of delegates for Constitutional Convention.  (Read 6140 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:52 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Parties registered as Conservative:
- Federalist Party
- Civic Renewal

Progressive:
- Labor Party
- Northeast National Party

Centrist:
- The People's Party

The People's Party and the Northeast National Party registered after the deadline and so I'm not sure we should accept their registration, but don't forget that we need to select 1 centrist delegate.

After that the "controversy" about these two parties will be resolved, there will be a 48-hours nomination period and then a 48-hours final STV vote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »

Partisan is right.

Why was there not even one delegate position left open for an independent?

I brought this issue up days ago, and I see nothing has been done to correct this travesty of justice.

This Con Con is not fully representative of the diverse elements that make up Atlasia.

This is simply being railroaded through so these partisan hacks can control the agenda.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

Partisan is right.

Why was there not even one delegate position left open for an independent?

I brought this issue up days ago, and I see nothing has been done to correct this travesty of justice.

This Con Con is not fully representative of the diverse elements that make up Atlasia.

This is simply being railroaded through so these partisan hacks can control the agenda.
Well, it's a bill approved by the Senate and it can't be corrected.
Thinking better about it, I agree with you. There should have been at least 1 delegate for Independents, but I fully understand the sentiments behind the bill approved by the Senate.
For some people 60% of delegates elected by people is not high, but I'd like to remember that we reached enough candidates for the position just few minutes before the deadline, so the Senate was right in let oneself the right of selecting 40% of delegates.
There are 2 parties (TPP, NNP) that registered after the deadline. We might include them or we might let the centrist spot for an Independent. I'd like to hear from the Senators and from all of you.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »

I know I'm not a Senator but I believe JCL should be nominated for the Federalist seat since it will be very hard for him to be elected in the Mideast and he has been a very active and vocal supporter for the ConCom since its beginning. And question for Cris when are the regions opening the voting booths.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »

I know I'm not a Senator but I believe JCL should be nominated for the Federalist seat since it will be very hard for him to be elected in the Mideast and he has been a very active and vocal supporter for the ConCom since its beginning. And question for Cris when are the regions opening the voting booths.

While Speaker Cris is quite correct that it is too late to change the bill, it would have been nice to hold this after the general vote, so we would have a clear idea of who would be left on the table to pick. At this point, it's basically guessing as to who would not be likely to be elected by the voters in their region.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »

Nominations are still not open.
What should we do with TPP/NNP?
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »

Nominations are still not open.
What should we do with TPP/NNP?

Here's my proposal: TPP and NNP didn't do it before the deadline set by the regulations, so they shall not be considered. The proposed delegates who declared their intentions to be a delegate in the 72 hour time frame shall be ranked by the Senate in the categories of progressive, centrist, or moderate. Should their party have not declared, or be a member of a minor party or an independent, they shall be considered as centrist. Using AV, the Senate shall elect 2 conservatives, 1 centrist, and 2 progressives.

The ballot shall be the following:

CENTRIST
Bmotely
Cincinattus
Clyde
Evergreen
Oakvale
Pikachu
RGN
Simfan34
SWE
Winfield

CONSERVATIVE
ClarkKent
Classic Conservative
Cris
JCL
Leinad
NC Yankee

PROGRESSIVE
Adam Griffin
Bore
Marokai
NeverAgain
VPH
Windjammer

Should any of the candidates be elected by the regions, they shall be skipped in the results.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »

Reading the bill, it sounds like people can nominate themselves for consideration here. Should we post a thread on the main AFE board asking for people to do so?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »

Reading the bill, it sounds like people can nominate themselves for consideration here. Should we post a thread on the main AFE board asking for people to do so?
I think that only Senators can nominate.

I like RPryor's proposal. I'd suggest to insert TPP in the centrist category and NNP in the progressive category. Then I think we should nominate candidates that were not elected in the election and in this case, Independents should be included among centrists.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »

I like RPryor's proposal. I'd suggest to insert TPP in the centrist category and NNP in the progressive category. Then I think we should nominate candidates that were not elected in the election and in this case, Independents should be included among centrists.

So do we wait until after the elections to vote? I think that would work in terms of getting the people we want to get.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »

So do we wait until after the elections to vote? I think that would work in terms of getting the people we want to get.
That's ok with me, but it's a little strange. Having TPP/NNP is not a problem, but the problem might be the presence of independents.
I'd be ok with independents in the centrist category, but rules that we have approved do not require to have independents selected by the Senate. I'd prefer having independents in, but there is the danger that someone will doubt about the validity of ConCon only because we inserted an independent and the rules don't require that.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »

As the author of the section in question, I can confirm that the bill was intended to allow citizens and party leaders to nominate candidates for consideration.

That's ok with me, but it's a little strange. Having TPP/NNP is not a problem, but the problem might be the presence of independents.
I'd be ok with independents in the centrist category, but rules that we have approved do not require to have independents selected by the Senate. I'd prefer having independents in, but there is the danger that someone will doubt about the validity of ConCon only because we inserted an independent and the rules don't require that.

Right now, the biggest threat to the Con-Con's validity in the eyes of the public is that there are too few independents.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »

48-hours nomination period starts now.

I propose that we nominate the defeated candidates of the ConCon elections and, if you want, people that weren't running in that election can be nominated too.

I think that all of us would be ok with this:

Conservatives (2 to be elected): Federalist Party, Civic Renewal
Progressives (2 to be elected): Labor Party, Northeast National Party
Centrists (1 to be elected): The People's Party, Independents, Others

What do you think?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »

That works for me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »

Considering the recent return of long-time Atlasian tmthforu94, I would like to nominate him for consideration. He's just the sort of fellow that the Convention would really benefit from.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »

If the Senate is going to nominate anyone from the NNP via this selection process - then I'd suggest Evergreen.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »

I'd like to nominate the following people. All of them are defeated candidates in the ConCon election.

Conservatives:
- Tmthforu94 (aldready nominated)
- ClarkKent

Progressives:
- Bore
- Evergreen

Centrists:
- BMotley
- Ilikeverin
- Cincinnatus
- Pikachu
- SWE

EarlAW should be nominated too, but I don't remember which party he's a registered member of (maybe Labor, but I'm not sure).
The Census Bureau is still closed and so I don't know.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »

EarlAW should be nominated too, but I don't remember which party he's a registered member of (maybe Labor, but I'm not sure).

he has his own party, the washburnist social revolutionary party (i may have gotten it slightly wrong)
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »

As Civic Renewal Chairman, I support the nomination of Tmth.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »

I appreciate the nomination and gladly accept.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

A fine set of nominees, especially Tmthforu and Pikachu. Per my earlier statement, I will support Evergreen for delegate as well.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 10:18:53 PM »

This delegation selection process was very, very poorly done: that is quickly becoming clear.

So how does partisan nomination work here - do the party leaders nominate the candidates or does the Senate select them? There seems to be confusion.

Then, at the beginning of this thread it was listed that NNP was not in time to be considered for delegates, but I'm also getting the impression that they are being considered. What is going on here?

Also...are you seriously telling me that the Labor Party may end up with as many delegates from this part of the convention nomination process as a 5-member secessionist outfit? I guess it's somewhat "fair" at least, seeing how the Federalists are being matched in representation by a party with barely 10 people, and the rest of the game is forced to jockey over one seat via appointment.

This is why it needed to be 10 based on partisan affiliation like I proposed; you can't do anything remotely representative with 5, which renders it useless.

At any rate and since he was the only Laborite who ran and was not elected, I nominate bore as the "primary" delegate or whatever, assuming my party has to split 2 delegates. Under the possibility that we might actually end up with 2 appointments, then the second nomination is Kalwejt.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »

I'd like to nominate the following people. All of them are defeated candidates in the ConCon election.

Conservatives:
- Tmthforu94 (aldready nominated)
- ClarkKent

Progressives:
- Bore
- Evergreen

Centrists:
- BMotley
- Ilikeverin
- Cincinnatus
- Pikachu
- SWE

All but one of those would make great delegates. I think the future of our nation will be in good hands, especially in addition to the 20 delegates already selected.

If you're picking 2 "Conservative," 2 "Progressive," and 1 "Centrist," I'd go with Cris's nominations unless Senator JoMCaR decides he wants it, although I'm unsure of who to choose as the "Centrist."

At any rate and since he was the only Laborite who ran and was not elected, I nominate bore as the "primary" delegate or whatever, assuming my party has to split 2 delegates. Under the possibility that we might actually end up with 2 appointments, then the second nomination is Kalwejt.

I don't think Kalwejt can be a delegate twice--he was already nominated as a Senator.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »

I really do hope The People's Party isn't locked out of the convention due to a deadline error. Let's give this thing some legitimacy.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

I really do hope The People's Party isn't locked out of the convention due to a deadline error. Let's give this thing some legitimacy.

Hopefully we're not beyond that by now but we handled this entire process pretty poorly.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies