Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:10:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy  (Read 7588 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 12:00:22 PM »

No rules changes since?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 12:02:28 PM »

Not as far as I'm aware. However, Wilkes was eventually excluded; following his third re-election, the House invalidated his election and gave the seat to the runner-up.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:33 PM »

Note this is just my opinion, others may disagree.

Galloway gave a fairly standard issue rant which had little to do with the reason why he was there... oh he threw in a couple of soundbites... and didn't answer the early questions (from Coleman I think) all that badly for the most part. He ran into a spot of bother with Levin, who basically tore him to pieces (and very nice to watch that part was Grin ). Galloway kept trying to dodge Levin's questions.
Towards the end of the hearing, Galloway was asked how friendly he was/is with Tariq Aziz and admitted that he (Aziz) was a "dear friend". He also admitted to have met Aziz in person "many times". He admitted that this was over 15, but didn't go further.
Coleman was grinning after that.

Overall, he did pretty badly, failed to "clear his name" and offered up sod all evidence that would do so.

I'm going to have to watch the video when I get home from work, sounds fun.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 03:55:29 PM »

Note this is just my opinion, others may disagree.

Galloway gave a fairly standard issue rant which had little to do with the reason why he was there... oh he threw in a couple of soundbites... and didn't answer the early questions (from Coleman I think) all that badly for the most part. He ran into a spot of bother with Levin, who basically tore him to pieces (and very nice to watch that part was Grin ). Galloway kept trying to dodge Levin's questions.
Towards the end of the hearing, Galloway was asked how friendly he was/is with Tariq Aziz and admitted that he (Aziz) was a "dear friend". He also admitted to have met Aziz in person "many times". He admitted that this was over 15, but didn't go further.
Coleman was grinning after that.

Overall, he did pretty badly, failed to "clear his name" and offered up sod all evidence that would do so.

Interestly enough, the liberal press in the United States is trying (pathetically) to spin this as Galloway winning!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 04:11:50 PM »

Interestly enough, the liberal press in the United States is trying (pathetically) to spin this as Galloway winning!

Media here is doing the same; on the news they only showed his early rant not his response to the questioning.

Roll Eyes
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »

Galloway is my new hero. Smiley
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »

Galloway did manage to get a nice anti-semiitc "Zionist" blast in there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 04:49:24 PM »

True. He really is a "charming" individual at times. But he's "anti-war" so that's O.K.

Just checking how good your lawyers are George. You're a terrible human being. You're an anti-semitic, sexist, racist little wit who's only an M.P because he found a seat full of nasty little bigots who were also very easy to exploit. Oh and the intimidation as well. Have you actually turned up at Parliament this year yet? I mean it's only about a mile away from you're new constituency. Guess not. You have more important things to do. Like getting a tan in Portugal. And screwing you're mistresses or donkeys or whatever. Has you're wife's divorce gone through yet? What think you of the fact that a certain newspaper is appealing it's libel loss? And isn't it a wee bit hypocrital of you to work for the Daily Mail? Guess not; I mean it means you get more money so it's obviously O.K, eh?[/color]
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 05:52:05 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2005, 05:54:34 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

I just watched it.  He absolutely refused to answer Levin's question about kickbacks.  He just kept harping about the war.  I loved Levin's response, "Actually I didn't [vote for the war], but that's absolutely besides the point."
Angel of Death
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »

You're right. It's hard to think up something more anti-Semitic than Zionism, an ideology that says Jews and non-Jews shouldn't live together.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 06:06:01 PM »

This is why they're called the liberal media.

They pick and choose to project a false image.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 07:15:28 PM »

You're right. It's hard to think up something more anti-Semitic than Zionism, an ideology that says Jews and non-Jews shouldn't live together.

What?

Zionism is a political movement among Jews (although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews) which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland.

Should Israel not exist? Is that what you're saying? Is that what Galloway meant? Israel should not exist? How is this any different from the Kurds wanting their own nation, though not all Kurds support this movement, in northeren Iraq and Turkey? Lets say that the Kurds do win the right to have their own nation. Are they then not justified?

I lived in Israel in the early 80's. I lived along and amongst Palestinians and other arabs with no problem, and yet I believe that Israel should exist. Am I a Zionist in your tems?

Galloway's comments about the "Zionist" are very remanisent of how others describe the "Zionist" as being the sole reason to all the world's problems and that they are the sole agitator in conflict that currently exist in the Middle East, mainly the Palestian-Israeli conflict.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 07:19:36 PM »

It was so great to see both Coleman and Levin a Republican and a Democrat both just watching this crazy guy dodge questions. It was amazing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2005, 07:49:03 PM »

What?

Zionism is a political movement among Jews (although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews) which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland.

Should Israel not exist? Is that what you're saying?

Come on, I think this reaction is a little extreme. Is it not possible to mention or say anything critical about Zionism without being accused of political felatio with Yasser Arafat?

Zionism is Israeli nationalism. Just because I oppose German nationalism does it mean I think Germany shouldn't exist? No, that's absurd.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »

True. He really is a "charming" individual at times. But he's "anti-war" so that's O.K.

Just checking how good your lawyers are George. You're a terrible human being. You're an anti-semitic, sexist, racist little wit who's only an M.P because he found a seat full of nasty little bigots who were also very easy to exploit. Oh and the intimidation as well. Have you actually turned up at Parliament this year yet? I mean it's only about a mile away from you're new constituency. Guess not. You have more important things to do. Like getting a tan in Portugal. And screwing you're mistresses or donkeys or whatever. Has you're wife's divorce gone through yet? What think you of the fact that a certain newspaper is appealing it's libel loss? And isn't it a wee bit hypocrital of you to work for the Daily Mail? Guess not; I mean it means you get more money so it's obviously O.K, eh?[/color]

Lovely post.  Just the last bit, not the big stuff in black.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2005, 10:14:03 PM »

What?

Come on, I think this reaction is a little extreme. Is it not possible to mention or say anything critical about Zionism without being accused of political felatio with Yasser Arafat?

Zionism is Israeli nationalism. Just because I oppose German nationalism does it mean I think Germany shouldn't exist? No, that's absurd.

The problem is that some people use "Zionist" as just a word for Jew to mask blatant anti-Semetism. And with Galloway's record in the UK, it's not good. Of course Coleman is also utter crap, so I'm not taking sides here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15:59 PM »

The coverage I heard on NPR made it quite apparent that Galloway is weaselly jerk, so clearly not everybody in the liberal press received their marching orders from the vast left-wing conspiracy about how to spin this.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2005, 11:06:06 PM »

The coverage I heard on NPR made it quite apparent that Galloway is weaselly jerk, so clearly not everybody in the liberal press received their marching orders from the vast left-wing conspiracy about how to spin this.

Go check out CNN, and the others.  They are lionizing the slimebag.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2005, 11:28:04 PM »

I do hope you're joking...unless the American left really, truly, wants to hang this albatross around its neck...
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2005, 11:38:52 PM »

Not to put you on the spot but do you know for what reason was the MP expelled in 1954?

"Convicted of uttering forged documents. Forged signatures on letters purporting to guarantee debts in excess of £100,000 owed by his companies."

http://www.election.demon.co.uk/expulsions.html

Thanks for the info. I had thought since it was 1954 it would be something more substanial like he was a communist or something. This reason is pretty mundane.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »

Go check out CNN, and the others.  They are lionizing the slimebag.

No, I think I'll stick with NPR.  Unlike most of the mass media they really are fair and balanced, cover actual news, and do it in depth instead of sound bites.  I'll readily admit their interview programs and editorials tilt leftward, but they don't masquerade them as news and their news coverage is definitely the best of any national US broadcaster.  I wish that the local affiliate did more with the news than just simply rewrite the headlines from the local newspaper, but you can't expect everything and The State is a fairly deecnt paper, so at least they are using good material to plagarize from.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2005, 01:57:00 AM »

What?

The problem is that some people use "Zionist" as just a word for Jew to mask blatant anti-Semetism. And with Galloway's record in the UK, it's not good. Of course Coleman is also utter crap, so I'm not taking sides here.

Some, but not all. There's a context affect that you should look at with each specific comment. I don't know enough about the Galloway/Coleman thing to comment, I'm just commenting about throwing the charge of anti-semitism around to try and make Israel's government immune to any sort of criticism.
Shira

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2005, 08:05:52 AM »

I watched Galloway yesterday on Charlie Rose and Chris Matthias shows. He was very convincing. He explained the real reason why we are in Iraq.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2005, 08:17:55 AM »

I watched Galloway yesterday on Charlie Rose and Chris Matthias shows. He was very convincing. He explained the real reason why we are in Iraq.
Which is also the real reason he was in Iraq, if this thing sticks. Smiley
Shira

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:49 AM »

Which is also the real reason he was in Iraq, if this thing sticks. Smiley

Whether you are right or wrong, the fact remains: Bush is lying to us about Iraq. If, however, he does believe in what he is saying about the war, then it is even worse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies