Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:11:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy  (Read 7698 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2005, 03:18:06 PM »

We need to keep George Galloway in America and put him on the television box.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2005, 03:26:01 PM »

The best part of this whole thing was when he directly accused Levin of supporting this "illegal" war.  What a moron!  For once, I was cheering for Levin after he shoot the bastard down, saying both that he didn't support it, and that basically everything Galloway was saying was totally irrelivant to the question of his guilt.  It was a beautiful moment.

But acctually, this is common trait with people who are paranoid and guilty, they change the subject and try to say that people are against them for a different reason.

ex.

1: You stole that bike.
2: No I didn't.  You eat your own bugers.  Besides, the only reason you are accusing me is because you are Tony's best friend.
1: I don't even know Tony, I just saw you steal that bike though, and what does any of this have to do with you stealing that bike?
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2005, 04:02:04 PM »

Galloway did manage to get a nice anti-semiitc "Zionist" blast in there.

You're right. It's hard to think up something more anti-Semitic than Zionism, an ideology that says Jews and non-Jews shouldn't live together.

What?

Zionism is a political movement among Jews (although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews) which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland.

Should Israel not exist? Is that what you're saying?

Come on, I think this reaction is a little extreme. Is it not possible to mention or say anything critical about Zionism without being accused of political felatio with Yasser Arafat?

Zionism is Israeli nationalism. Just because I oppose German nationalism does it mean I think Germany shouldn't exist? No, that's absurd.

The problem is that some people use "Zionist" as just a word for Jew to mask blatant anti-Semetism. And with Galloway's record in the UK, it's not good. Of course Coleman is also utter crap, so I'm not taking sides here.

Some, but not all. There's a context affect that you should look at with each specific comment. I don't know enough about the Galloway/Coleman thing to comment, I'm just commenting about throwing the charge of anti-semitism around to try and make Israel's government immune to any sort of criticism.

I was not saying that Israel is unaccountable on particular issues. Israel has taken actions that I would disagree with. The wall, though I do see the positives in it. However, I can see the negative effects with the wall. Walls tend to leave negative impressions. The continual settlements sprouting in the occupied territories when the government promises to pull back so that a road to Palestinian statehood can occur. I don't agree with everything the Israeli government does just as I disapprove of many of the domestic policies of the current US administration.

That said, I agree with what BRTD said regarding the arbitrarily throwing around of the "Zionist" as the true reason for the war in Iraq. One cannot go around blaiming the "Zionist" for every problem in a particular region. Reminds me of the 1930's and Mein Kamph (1924) where Hitler blames all of Germany's economic and social problems on the Jews.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »

The Charities Commision thingy has said it's going have another investigation of Galloway's appeal thingy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2005, 05:51:13 PM »

Please tell me this video is on the net somewhere?
Shira

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2005, 05:58:30 PM »

Why should Bush lying be worse than Saddam lying? Why the double standard here?

Bush is a president of a Democracy. Saddam was a dictator.

But to you lefty hate America types he was a "good dictator" because he was "secular".

States, how many Democrats do you even know that think Saddam was a good dictator?

You know the rule: "Don't tell me what you think. I decide what you think and  I'll show how bad your thoughts are"
Shira

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2005, 06:03:51 PM »

But to you lefty hate America types he was a "good dictator" because he was "secular".
States, how many Democrats do you even know that think Saddam was a good dictator?

BRTD, Shira, JFern, etc

Could you bring one single sentence of mine where I say that Saddam was a "good dictator" or the equivalent?

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2005, 11:43:37 PM »

A- We don't hate America, we hate most of conservativism and the Religious Right (not religion, the Religious Right)

B- I don't speak for all lefties, but I'd have rather lived in a secular Iraq under Saddam than a theocractic Iran under Khomeini. Obviously I'd be miserable and angry in both; but theocracy, as opposed to personal religious belief, is always worse than a secular dictatorship.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2005, 11:45:33 PM »

You hate people that you don't even know? That's pretty damn sick
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2005, 12:26:52 AM »

We hate what they believe, their ideology. Not the people themselves. Maybe hate is too strong a word. But the religious right is a dangerous trend in this country. People like James Dobson should be kept as far from political power as possible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2005, 12:28:08 AM »

We hate what they believe, their ideology. Not the people themselves. Maybe hate is too strong a word. But the religious right is a dangerous trend in this country. People like James Dobson should be kept as far from political power as possible.

Ok, so don't ever claim you're for any real sort of "equality" ever again.
MissCatholic

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2005, 12:37:41 PM »

Blair likes Secularism does that make him bad?

Duriong the british elections he siad that we dont want an american style debate off whats right or wrong that decision is not for politicians its for people.

differnece between church and state in the uk.

here...dont think so
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2005, 11:50:07 PM »

Blair likes Secularism does that make him bad?

Duriong the british elections he siad that we dont want an american style debate off whats right or wrong that decision is not for politicians its for people.

differnece between church and state in the uk.

here...dont think so

Even though the UK has a state religion, right? You know, the Church of England? Thus the whole reason behind the religious comments in the 1st Amendment.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2005, 12:39:49 AM »

Norm Coleman is very principled.

And McCarthy wasn't? McCarthy was a true patriot and freedom lover.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »

McCarthy was a paranoid opportunist. Galloway is too.

George Galloway is one of the least appealing politicians in the western world, IMHO.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2005, 07:32:04 PM »

Very interesting trend.

Europeans familiar with Galloway whom I respect, loathe the SOB (this includes those of all political persuasions).

Americans liberals embrace just about anybody critical of Bush.

Hmm
Angel of Death
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2005, 07:57:11 PM »

"Galloway Senate testimony PDF goes AWOL"

Make what you will of it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35