If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 70107 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
« edited: October 06, 2017, 07:15:25 PM by MB »

I have a few (I'll list the text along with a TLDR):

"No person shall be required to perform any sort of national service, be it civil or military, during a time of peace or of war." – Bans the draft

"No educational institution receiving funding from the State shall restrict the right of students to the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, or religion, so long as they do not substantially interfere with the operation of the institutition." – Established freedom of speech in schools

"Electoral districts shall be contiguous and compact, shall take no factors, including voting trends or the demographics of the area into account, and shall not be drawn nor approved by elected officials." – Abolishes gerrymandering

"The freedom of movement in public areas shall not be restricted, except during times of emergency." – Abolishes curfew laws

"All jurisdictions under the administration of the United States shall be permitted to elect the President through a nationwide popular vote." – Abolishes the Electoral College and gives territories a say for President

"Jurisdictions under the administration of the United States that are not part of any state, including but not limited to, territories, districts, and commonwealths, shall receive representatives in the House of Representatives proportionate to population, and two Senators if the population is not less than one-fourth that of the least populous State." – Gives territories/DC representation in Congress

–Something about campaign finance but I can't come up with the exact words

"Any citizen of the United States who has resided in the country for at least fourteen years shall be eligible for election to the Presidency." – Abolishes the "natural born citizen" clause

"Congress or the President shall independently have the power to call referendums." – Establishes more direct democracy

"Justices of the Supreme Court shall serve no more than ten years." – Abolishes lifetime tenure on SCOTUS

There are some important issues to me, such as trade and healthcare, that I feel should be better left to law instead of the constitution.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

A repeal of the Second Amendment.

Only active duty army and active duty police (and you could argue the latter) should be allowed to have guns. We don't need militias anymore.
And what exactly happens to the hundreds of millions of firearms currently in the USA? And the millions of people who'd rather be shot defending their guns than have them taken away?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »

$500 million tax free is my minimum asking price for my $600 rifle. I wont sell out my God given rights cheaply.
Then I presume you'll cheerfully pay property tax and an annual license fee on your rifle, just as you do your motor vehicle.  And let's not forget your shooting license and mandatory liability insurance.  There's no constitutional bar to treating guns similarly to motor vehicles, and every reason to do so.
We should get rid of vehicle registration.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

Assuming 1 injury per gun, 100,000/350,000,000. Means .03% of all guns injure someone each year. What an epidemic.
And who knows how many of those are accidental shooting in the foot.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »

I admittedly don't have specifics, but the citizens of DC deserve voting representatives in Congress. The fact that they don't, despite being part of a municipality greater in population than multiple states, is outrageous to me. Once again, I'm not sure the best way to make this happen, but I know there are multiple available options.

I would also want the electoral college abolished, although that's not something I feel quite as strongly about.
Plus Puerto Rico to get representatives and senators, and American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, and NMI to get one representative (they're too small to get two senators).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »

many social conservatives blame gun violence on TV and video games.
The Clintons, the Gores, Lieberman, and Evan Bayh are "social conservatives"? It seems to me that it's the Democrats who are always attacking video games and TV.
That is a conservative viewpoint no matter who it's coming from.
It was a bigger deal from the 80s to early 2000s than it is today. I think Democrats today would be less likely to support bills like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies