If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:38:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 70026 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »
« edited: October 07, 2017, 02:11:58 AM by darklordoftech »

- Ban civil forfeiture
- Require that the House add representatives as the population grows.
- Ban "we'll deny the states funds unless..." legislation.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

many social conservatives blame gun violence on TV and video games.
The Clintons, the Gores, Lieberman, and Evan Bayh are "social conservatives"? It seems to me that it's the Democrats who are always attacking video games and TV.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2017, 12:11:43 AM by darklordoftech »

The Clintons, the Gores, Lieberman, and Evan Bayh are "social conservatives"? It seems to me that it's the Democrats who are always attacking video games and TV.
That is a conservative viewpoint no matter who it's coming from.
It was a bigger deal from the 80s to early 2000s than it is today. I think Democrats today would be less likely to support bills like that.
Didn't the Democrats claim to no longer support anti-gun laws when Gore lost, but then went right back to supporting gun laws as soon as Obama got into office?
That is a conservative viewpoint no matter who it's coming from.
That may be true by definition, but in reality it seems to be correlated with being anti-gun and anti-tobacco more than it seems to be correlated with religion, pro-lifeism, homophobia, etc.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »

Repeal the "federal crime" part of the 21st amendment. The federal government shouldn't be enforcing state laws.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2018, 02:22:29 PM by darklordoftech »

- Amend the 2nd amendment so that it only applies to the federal government. State and municipality governments should be free to allow or ban guns to their hearts' content.

- Add things involving student rights.

- Strengthen the equal protection clause when it comes to sex/gender, LGBT, and age
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 01:13:55 AM »

- Amend the 2nd amendment so that it only applies to the federal government. State and municipality governments should be free to allow or ban guns to their hearts' content.

- Add things involving student rights.

- Strengthen the equal protection clause when it comes to sex/gender, LGBT, and age

You can't do both. Your first proposal would effectively repeal the Fourteenth Amendment and especially void the equal protection clause. Interesting choice to reverse over 100 years of civil rights jurisprudence.
I don’t think that’s true

Me either.
Incorporation of the Bill of Rights into the Fourteenth Amendment is based on the Due Process Clause, not the Equal Protection Clause.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_of_the_Bill_of_Rights
And it is a serious slippery slope fallacy to say that when someone advocates that one right in the Bill of Rights should not be incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment, that person is advocating for repeal of the entire Fourteenth Amendment.
I didn't say that guns should be an exception to the 14th amendment, but rather that guns shouldn't be a right in and of themselves at the state and municipality levels. For example, I don't think California should be able to ban blacks from possessing guns, but I do think that California should be able to ban gun possession altogether.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:21 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2019, 02:56:28 AM by darklordoftech »

- repeal Section 2 of the 21st Amendment
- ban Selective Service
- make Section 230 of the Comunications Decency Act of 1996 part of the Constitution
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:27:09 AM »

Amend the Commerce Clause to simply say, "to regulate commerce".
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 11:37:16 PM »

If I was allowed another I would use it to strengthen public transport somehow, because it's my pet issue 😛
This could be done by prohibiting certain zoning laws.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 04:59:43 AM »

Prohibit the fillibuster.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies