Where was Bush 41 at same time in '92?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Where was Bush 41 at same time in '92?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where was Bush 41 at same time in '92?  (Read 10501 times)
GOPhound
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »

I've searched the web and can't seem to find any polls from this time in '92 of Bush 41 versus Clinton.  I'm interested because it seems to me that Bush 43 is in much better shape at this point than his father was.  

It's basically even now, and it seems all the bad news is out.  Death in Iraq, 911 commission, negative books, etc.  Yes, there can be, and probably will be, some unexpected events. But I was wondering if an incumbent president has ever lost an election while being tied or ahead as late as April.  
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 06:54:31 PM »

Bush 41 was clearly a weak candidate in April 92, but the polls were confusing due to the 3-party dynamics.

I think at this point in '92, the Dem primary had JUST been decided, and Clinton was not yet clearly a strong candidate.  In fact, I think Perot was narrowly leading many of the polls, with Clinton in third.  Clinton went ahead for good in June when he announced Gore as his running mate and Perot (temporarily) dropped out.

ShapeShifter

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 06:59:34 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 07:01:24 PM by ShapeShifter »

I've searched the web and can't seem to find any polls from this time in '92 of Bush 41 versus Clinton.  I'm interested because it seems to me that Bush 43 is in much better shape at this point than his father was.  

It's basically even now, and it seems all the bad news is out.  Death in Iraq, 911 commission, negative books, etc.  Yes, there can be, and probably will be, some unexpected events. But I was wondering if an incumbent president has ever lost an election while being tied or ahead as late as April.  

http://www.gallup.com/content/default.aspx?ci=1255

Clinton was at 26 % at this time, so, Kerry is doing a lot better. Smiley
GOPhound
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 07:54:48 PM »

Thanks for the link.  Yes in mid-April Bush was ahead 41-26 over Clinton, but Clinton + Perot actually was ahead of Bush by 10, 51-41.  So really, even though Bush was in the lead, it was clear at that point that he was unpopular.  Bush's 41% was close to the 38% he ended up getting.

Like you said, '92 was a screwy year with Perot in the mix, it's hard to compare that year and now.  What's clear is that people seemed to make their minds up about Clinton at the Democratic convention.  He vaulted out way in front and never looked back.  It will be be interesting to see what the polls look like after this year's conventions.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 07:57:31 PM »

Thanks for the link.  Yes in mid-April Bush was ahead 41-26 over Clinton, but Clinton + Perot actually was ahead of Bush by 10, 51-41.  So really, even though Bush was in the lead, it was clear at that point that he was unpopular.  Bush's 41% was close to the 38% he ended up getting.

Like you said, '92 was a screwy year with Perot in the mix, it's hard to compare that year and now.  What's clear is that people seemed to make their minds up about Clinton at the Democratic convention.  He vaulted out way in front and never looked back.  It will be be interesting to see what the polls look like after this year's conventions.

All I know is that '92 and '88 and 00' is not 04'
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »

Perot had an 8-point lead in May 1992.  I wonder if that big lead scared him off, a he probably didn't want to be president.

PEROT IN 1992
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 08:27:48 PM »

Clinton 54-38% lead right before Perot re-entered should end any speculation that Bush could have won.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 08:28:30 PM »

Perot had an 8-point lead in May 1992.  I wonder if that big lead scared him off, a he probably didn't want to be president.

PEROT IN 1992

I think he was hired by the Clinton people. Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »

PEROT IN 1992

no..

What I'm saying is, Perot really didn't want to be president, he just wanted to make a difference.  So he dropped out when he took the lead.

He may have won if he stayed in Sad
zachman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 08:33:58 PM »

PEROT IN 1992

no..

What I'm saying is, Perot really didn't want to be president, he just wanted to make a difference.  So he dropped out when he took the lead.

He may have won if he stayed in Sad
That would have been great for our democracy. Overall I'd be angered if Perot became President, I guess its the 30 extra school days idea.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 08:35:40 PM »

He wouldn't have been able to implement the 30 more days, it wouldn't pass through congress...

Perot would have been a very good president, the economy would have boomed past what it did with Clinton.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 08:37:04 PM »

He wouldn't have been able to implement the 30 more days, it wouldn't pass through congress...

Perot would have been a very good president, the economy would have boomed past what it did with Clinton.

how so?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

how so?

He was a businessman, he would have known how to manage the economy.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2004, 08:39:14 PM »

how so?

okay, we went over this before. Remeber? Bloomberg. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 08:40:33 PM »

how so?

we has differing position on this issue, lets leave it at that.

(9-11 couldn't have helped the NYC economy...)
ShapeShifter

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 08:42:19 PM »

how so?

we has differing position on this issue, lets leave it at that.

(9-11 couldn't have helped the NYC economy...)

Okay, agree. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 08:42:44 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 08:59:28 PM by Lunar »

how so?

He would put the economy in front of many other things such as education or foreign relations every time they clashed.
GOPhound
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

Agreed, no two elections are exactly the same, times change, issues change, demographics change.  But we can still learn a lot about what might happen by looking at the past.  I'm still trying to figure out which election this one will be closest too.

BTW, I think Perot would have been a terrible president because he was anti-NAFTA.  I detest Bill Clinton but give him credit for supporting NAFTA.  The econony would not have boomed the way it did without free trade fueling it.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »

Agreed, no two elections are exactly the same, times change, issues change, demographics change.  But we can still learn a lot about what might happen by looking at the past.  I'm still trying to figure out which election this one will be closest too.

BTW, I think Perot would have been a terrible president because he was anti-NAFTA.  I detest Bill Clinton but give him credit for supporting NAFTA.  The econony would not have boomed the way it did without free trade fueling it.

It depends on what way one means 'being closest to'. The last time a president was reelected in a close election was Woodrow Wilson in 1916... Wink

I think it will be somewhat similar to 1988, but with Kerry being closer in the popular vote and MUCH closer in the EC.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 10:00:01 AM »

I'm convinced that 2004 will be like... 2004
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 10:12:07 AM »

That's going out on a limb... Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 05:02:34 PM »

That's the most accurate post on this thread.  We all have a habit of classifying new phenomena according to old rules.  It's a bad habit.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 05:03:31 PM »

That's the most accurate post on this thread.  We all have a habit of classifying new phenomena according to old rules.  It's a bad habit.

Well, it's the only way by which we can predict anything, no?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2004, 05:07:31 PM »

Thomas Alva Edison was a great inventor, credited with the light bulb and the 'gramophone' among other things.  He didn't finish high school.  His teachers thought he was a dunce.  It is wonderful, for all of us, that he didn't subcribe to those strict rules his teachers tried to teach him.  

Predictions should come from clarivoyance, if you're so endowed.  If you are not clarivoyant, your predictions are mostly just for fun.  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2004, 05:08:32 PM »

Thomas Alva Edison was a great inventor, credited with the light bulb and the 'gramophone' among other things.  He didn't finish high school.  His teachers thought he was a dunce.  It is wonderful, for all of us, that he didn't subcribe to those strict rules his teachers tried to teach him.  

Predictions should come from clarivoyance, if you're so endowed.  If you are not clarivoyant, your predictions are mostly just for fun.  Smiley

Well...yes, but admitting that makes it much less fun...we all need a lie to live on. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies