Proposals Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Proposals Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Proposals Thread  (Read 21165 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »

Does a mechanism for the removal or recall of pre-existing delegates exist???
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »

I would like to reiterate once again the absolute necessity of clarifying that we are drafting a NEW Constitution, not amending the existing document. The current process of offering amendments to the current text is confusing and counterproductive, tying the Convention to what all acknowledge to be a failed charter of government.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »

I think the judiciary should be the next topic to bring up, considering that its structure has been a fairly contentious matter as of late.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 04:21:36 PM »

Here is my proposal.

If we have 3 regions-

1 Judge appointed by each region to deal with regional laws. Together they also convene to form a Supreme Court to deal with federal matters. The most senior of them is Chief Justice.

If we have 2 regions-

Same setup as above, except the 3rd justice is the Chief Justice and appointed by the President with consent of the Senate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

Here is my proposal.

If we have 3 regions-

1 Judge appointed by each region to deal with regional laws. Together they also convene to form a Supreme Court to deal with federal matters. The most senior of them is Chief Justice.

If we have 2 regions-

Same setup as above, except the 3rd justice is the Chief Justice and appointed by the President with consent of the Senate.
This is a really good idea, you're on a roll!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 05:51:36 PM »

Here is my proposal.

If we have 3 regions-

If we have 2 regions-

You're really good at this Talleyrand, you have great ideas if a seat came open I'd support you getting it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 02:03:28 AM »

Here is my proposal.

If we have 3 regions-

If we have 2 regions-

This is a really good idea, you're on a roll!

Yeah, I have to admit, Talleyrand's been doing well this ConCon, even though he isn't a delegate.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 08:16:15 AM »

I would like to reiterate once again the absolute necessity of clarifying that we are drafting a NEW Constitution, not amending the existing document. The current process of offering amendments to the current text is confusing and counterproductive, tying the Convention to what all acknowledge to be a failed charter of government.

We are already wiping the content of current Constitution articles. So we are re-writing the articles.
I think we should keep a minimum the current structure (Article I about Senate, Article II about Presidency/VP, Article III about regions).
About Article I: there are sections of Article I (regional rights) that have nothing to do with the Senate, and so we might insert that section in Article III (that's already about regions).

About the Cabinet: there isn't a Constitution article about Cabinet, but there are only amendments about it. So we might create another article about that.
But let's start with determine the number of regions and regional rights.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »

We are already wiping the content of current Constitution articles. So we are re-writing the articles.
I think we should keep a minimum the current structure (Article I about Senate, Article II about Presidency/VP, Article III about regions).
About Article I: there are sections of Article I (regional rights) that have nothing to do with the Senate, and so we might insert that section in Article III (that's already about regions).

About the Cabinet: there isn't a Constitution article about Cabinet, but there are only amendments about it. So we might create another article about that.
But let's start with determine the number of regions and regional rights.

A sensible approach. Thanks for the clarification!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »

In order to keep the Convention from going on forever, I would suggest that in the future we agree on a basic rough draft for each Article before proposing an official amendment. Rather than proposing five virtually identical amendments all dealing with the same issue, delegates would submit proposals/questions that the Convention would then vote on. In the event of competing proposals, a STV election would be held.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once this rough draft is complete, the Convention would then appoint a "Committee on Style" to draft the final text.

Thoughts?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »

Why on earth would "0" and "5" not be options in such a vote?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »

Also, an idea for how the powers debate should proceed: to avoid having twenty-five separate amendments differing only in their allocation of a few powers, I propose that we give delegates 48-72 hours to discuss what powers should be vested in the federal government/the Regions. After that time, the P.O. will open a final vote. On their ballots, each delegate will list the powers they feel should belong to the federal government; all powers that are mentioned by a majority of the delegates will be included in the final draft of the Constitution.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »

To make sure that none of this crap happens again like what's happened in the Midwest and now the Pacific meaning that the Governor nor the Legislature have the right to get rid of their positions or form another position without the advice and consent of the other.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 08:03:06 PM »

Number of offices people could hold
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »

There should be a "current text" thread, where all of the adopted elements of the ConCon thus far are displayed. If we wait until the end to begin assembling all of these pieces scattered across dozens of pages, then it's going to be a lot more difficult and there will be more chances for errors/omissions/etc. Perhaps it could go in the Journal of the ConCon thread, with either the P.O. or rpryor providing the updates (I'd recommend just containing them all to one post and editing it as necessary).
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

I can't remember if this is listed under any of the current threads we have, but I think we should reduce the number of posts that people have to make before registering in this section of the site - possibly five or ten - to allow more people to join the game easily.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »

How about our military? Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »

This.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

Possibly allowing the CJO/Governor of each region to maintain an electoral register for their region.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »

People have been talking about whether regions can be trusted over certain things and this issue of regional activity. I think we should look at having a clause that if a region becomes inactive that it falls under direct rule, until the inactivity issue is sorted - this would prevent having a one person legislature (for example).
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »

People have been talking about whether regions can be trusted over certain things and this issue of regional activity. I think we should look at having a clause that if a region becomes inactive that it falls under direct rule, until the inactivity issue is sorted - this would prevent having a one person legislature (for example).
This is an interesting idea. The U.S. Constitution has a clause that guarantees every state a "republican" form of government; perhaps we could tack this proposal on to the end of such.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies